Enlisted: War Thunder with an infantry POV

Started by MengJiao, May 13, 2021, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Destraex

It's a great concept. Reminds me of Heroes and Generals. However the graphics at this stage seem a little underwhelming. I am guessing that is because they are using the same textures as is on their large vehicles on infantry that need a tonne more detail? I suppose it is a different engine though.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on May 13, 2021, 08:25:20 AM
It's a great concept. Reminds me of Heroes and Generals. However the graphics at this stage seem a little underwhelming. I am guessing that is because they are using the same textures as is on their large vehicles on infantry that need a tonne more detail? I suppose it is a different engine though.

Supposedly its the same engine.  The graphics are better than ARMA is generally and worse than HLL or the BoX.  And it has a pay-to-win subtext even in BETA 

Destraex

Yeah. That is to be expected with war thunder (gaijin) games. But it may keep the game alive beyond all other shooters. Which sometimes makes it worth the grind.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

I've been playing Enlisted for the past couple of weeks and have been enjoying it so far.  The grind is monumental.  There is that Warthunderish pay to win meme in there. 

The gameplay is fun however as well as the gunplay.  I like the squads concept where you must equip each of your soldiers with gear and level them up.  Enlisted is not as realistic or complicated like HLL or PS but at the same time it's not arcadey like Call of Duty or Battlefield. 

I'm going to keep playing until I get to the point where the only way to progress any further is by using real money to unlock stuff.  At that point I'll drop the game like a hot potato just like I did with Warthunder. 

All that being said, Heroes & Generals is still my go to game for shooters.  I'll never get tired of that game and I've been playing it since 2012.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on May 13, 2021, 09:12:24 AM
I've been playing Enlisted for the past couple of weeks and have been enjoying it so far.  The grind is monumental.  There is that Warthunderish pay to win meme in there. 

The gameplay is fun however as well as the gunplay.  I like the squads concept where you must equip each of your soldiers with gear and level them up.  Enlisted is not as realistic or complicated like HLL or PS but at the same time it's not arcadey like Call of Duty or Battlefield. 

I'm going to keep playing until I get to the point where the only way to progress any further is by using real money to unlock stuff.  At that point I'll drop the game like a hot potato just like I did with Warthunder. 

All that being said, Heroes & Generals is still my go to game for shooters.  I'll never get tired of that game and I've been playing it since 2012.

There's definitely a weird coolness to Heros and Generals.  I guess it was the maps that got me down after a while.  Enlisted looks promising so I guess I'll see.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on May 13, 2021, 08:54:16 AM
Yeah. That is to be expected with war thunder (gaijin) games. But it may keep the game alive beyond all other shooters. Which sometimes makes it worth the grind.

I played on my lunch hour.  Must be a rough time for most people cuz my Avatar, Mengjiaomeng, was one of the top players.  Very strange.

Zulu1966

Quote from: MengJiao on May 13, 2021, 11:24:29 AM
Quote from: Destraex on May 13, 2021, 08:54:16 AM

I played on my lunch hour.  Must be a rough time for most people cuz my Avatar, Mengjiaomeng, was one of the top players.  Very strange.

Loaded it - played it for a couple days. Not great. Uninstalled.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Dammit Carl!

I'm a sucker for shooters, so I'll give this a go at some point.

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 13, 2021, 02:31:21 PM

I'm liking it.  Its sort of a mess, but fun to play.  It's good points could all be seen as bad: small maps, endless slaughter, very arcady, but in a sort of good way and even with only say 12 players on a side
the battlefield is full of troops (since each player fields 1 tank or 1 plane or 3-6 soldiers at a time and they just keep coming so about 400-500 casualties happen all told per battle).

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 13, 2021, 03:28:52 PM

I'm liking it.  Its sort of a mess, but fun to play.  It's good points could all be seen as bad: small maps, endless slaughter, very arcady, but in a sort of good way and even with only say 12 players on a side
the battlefield is full of troops (since each player fields 1 tank or 1 plane or 3-6 soldiers at a time and they just keep coming so about 400-500 casualties happen all told per battle).

In some town in the Moscow Campaign, I fell through a kitchen floor.  As you can see.  Also you can see "Bat Manning" is reportedly knifing "Aorta2923" a lot.  We Russians won this one, maybe because we had a few T-26s.   This being a Russian game, the Russian tanks are pretty effective.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 14, 2021, 10:25:19 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 13, 2021, 03:28:52 PM

In some town in the Moscow Campaign, I fell through a kitchen floor.  As you can see.  Also you can see "Bat Manning" is reportedly knifing "Aorta2923" a lot.  We Russians won this one, maybe because we had a few T-26s.   This being a Russian game, the Russian tanks are pretty effective.

Here we all go crossing a river.  This did not turn out well.

W8taminute

What level is that Russian Rifle Squad you have there Meng?  My Russian Rifle Squad looks like a bunch of guys from the first world war, not WW2. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

Played around with it for a few hours today for the first time.  I think its fun. I like the use of AI squad members. It is a little bit like "Brass Brigade"...intense non-stop action until one side prevails.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on May 15, 2021, 02:20:46 PM
What level is that Russian Rifle Squad you have there Meng?  My Russian Rifle Squad looks like a bunch of guys from the first world war, not WW2.

Oh that's not my squad.  I have quite a mix.  Some look like policemen, some look like the late 1930s People and Worker's Army with very silly hats.  I'm hoping to reach the "Radio Squad" who have 1938 carbines rather than 1907s and are dressed for WWII.  It's kind of hard for me to take a good picture of my own squad since they are all either right around me or I've dropped them off at a safe defensive spot.