Main Menu

Tabletop Simulator

Started by demjansk1942, July 02, 2021, 03:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

Does anyone use this on Steam?  Just downloaded and was looking for assistance or is it worth having

al_infierno

I thought this thread seemed familiar.   :buck2:

http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24435.msg667421#msg667421

It's definitely worth it if you can find titles on the workshop that you're interested in.  Otherwise, it's nice for online miniature gaming since you can import figures from Bolt Action and whatnot and use virtual dice.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

I believe it is worth it. It is very good for real-time group gaming...  Vassal still has it beat for PBEM play, but TTS really isn't trying to get into that niche anyway.

Most of the large publishers have modules for their games...GMT for example. Also many SPI titles are available.

TTS is great for board gaming and historical minis.  I am an old mini gamer who no longer has time to paint, or have the space to host games...TTS is a wonderful way to play the entire battle of Austerlitz with virtual 15mm minis...and not spend any time painting. There are some folks on the FB Wargaming group are into this.

Longer term, there are some issues I have with the way that TTS uses content (you occasionally see some modules become unusable over time, but not all). But for the time being, really a minor issue. 

Also, there is sometimes a "wild west" situation going with modules. 99% are free, but some of these are broken. So you really need to test them.

Some of the grogs get together regularly on TTS, raise your hand if that interest you.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Oh, yay, you did finally get it on sale!  :bd:

I adore TTS! -- well worth full asking price, literally a steal on sale. (...and at full asking price: most modules aren't official after all. ;) )

For example, if you love DVG's Warfighter game (the modern version), the basic program plus the paid module will be absolutely worth the price by itself. Anything after that is gravy and/or frosting.  :smitten:

The fans creating the modules have some REAAAALLLY deep cuts: would you like to play 2/3rds of the obscure history-of-coal-industry-in-the-Rhine trilogy? YOU CAN!  :D (And the final, concluding game may get ported someday, who knows?)

But devs will sometimes post early test versions of their games on TTS, too, or use TTS as a handy marketing tool for even full games. A famous example in recent years is the multi-player co-op "UBOOT" boardgame, which in real life has insane production values -- but the devs posted a version to TTS long ago! So if you want to try playing it, you can.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Phantom

Definitely worth having if you like/have board games but don't have the inclination & space for keeping a set up/multiple set ups in place for any length of time , slight learning curve when getting to know it but quite easy after that. Some great modules out there on the workshop section, worth "shopping around" as some of the modules implement games better than others.
I'd say if there are modules for any of the board games you have its a no brainer buy.