Flashpoint Campaign: Fulda Gap Frontier of Freedom 11 ACR v. 79 GTD, August 198

Started by Tripoli, September 06, 2021, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

For some reason, I've recently got a urge to break out some modern wargames.  This AAR will be a recent game of Flashpoint Campaign, the Fulda Gap scenario.  This scenario is a delay action of the 11 ACR against the 79 Guards Tank Division as it pushes across the West German Border.  The starting situation is described below (sorry for the screenshot, but the game won't let me cut and paste, and these notes are important for understanding the scenario):

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

According to the intelligence estimate the 79th GTR is heading SW down Route 84 towards Fulda.  The 113th Recon battalion is approaching Swartzbach. Soviet forces are expected to seize bridges to the South the city while screening Fulda, enabling follow on forces to move to the Southwest towards Hanau.   
There are three probable axis of advance (AOA 1, 2 and 3).  The location of the Soviet 113 Recon Battalion near Swartzbach indicates it may be screening an initial advance via AOA 1 and/or AOA 2.   Given the typical regimental frontage of 3-8km, estimate that no more than one tank regiment will attack my right flank via AOA 1A, with a possible second regiment via AOA 1B.  Another two regiments could attack the center of my line via AOA 2. These AOA are displayed in Image 1 and 2, which also shows the estimated Soviet AOAs for Phase 1 (designated in red), Phase 2 (designated in orange) and Phase 3 (designated in yellow). 
I estimate any attack on my left via AOA 3 will either be a secondary attack or a diversion.  This is because any forces travelling via this route would have to either seize Fulda or screen the Soviet LOC down Highway A7 around Fulda from attack by US Forces defending the town.  Consequentially, I estimate that this ECOA is less likely than Soviet forces advancing via AOA 1 and/or 2.

Image 1: RED COA 0200 01 AUG 84

Image 2 RED COA and BLUE MLRs

To defend against the estimated Soviet attacks, I will have the US forces initially defend along the main line of resistance (MLR-1), designated in blue. (Image 2 below).  I will destroy all the Haune River bridges in the first hour of the scenario,  which will probably result in channeling Soviet forces towards the south east.  Should US forces need to fall back, defensive lines along MLR-2 (designated in orange) and MLR-3 (designated in yellow) will be used.  "Kill boxes", to attrition Soviet forces along each EAOA are designated in yellow.  To assist in determining which ECOA is being used, "Named Area of Interest" (NAI) are identified (designated in green).  US forces will try to keep each of these areas under observation to provide early warning of Soviet attacks.  (Image 2).

Tripoli

US forces are thinly spread.  To cover an approximate 26 kilometer front, there is only the 11th Cavalry Regiment, along with the attached 1-68 Armor Battalion, plus attached artillery and aviation assets.  I set up "A" and "B" Troop along the Haune River.  "B" Troop is reinforced with two M-1 tank platoons: D/1-11 and A/1-68. "C" Troop covers the wide frontage along EAOA 1A.  Because of this long frontage, it is reinforced with a section of Cavalry from "A" Troop. B/ 1-68 Armor covers the frontage between B and C Troop.  There are no dedicated reserves.  My plan is to put all of the US combat power forward to attrite the Soviet forces in the relatively open terrain east of the Haune river, then form a reserve after destroying the Haune River bridges. (Image 3).

Image 3 US Set up

Weather
The dense fog in the morning is expected to burn off around 10 AM.  A 40% chance of heavy rain in the afternoon will reduce the capability of US IR sensors.  This will reduce engagement ranges and increase US ground and rotary aircraft vulnerability to Soviet counterfire.

The US won't get any air support until 0800 (at the earliest)

Tripoli

OOB
Whoops.  I forgot to add the OOB to my earlier analysis :-[  Here it is:

Friendly Forces
1.   11 ACR
     a.   1x HQ
          i.   HQ Co
         ii.   1 Tank Co (2xM-1)
        iii.   AD Platoon (2) (Stinger)
        iv.   A/144th FA (8x M-109)
        v.   A/27th FA (6 xMLRS)
    b.   3 x Cavalry Co.
        i.   HQ
       ii.   12xM-3 Bradley
       iii.   1 AD Platoon (Stinger)
       iv.   8xM-1 Abrams
       v.   2xM106 mortar
    c.   1 Tank Co
       i.   HQ
           1.   (2xM-1)
      ii.   3 Tank Platoons
          1.   (4xM-1)
     iii.   1 AD Platoon
          1.    (4xM163)
2.   1-68 Armor
   a.   1xHQ
      i.   3x M-1 Abrams
   b.   3x Tank Co.
      i.   HQ
         1.   (2x M-1 Abrams)
      ii.   3xTank Platoons 
         1.   (5x M-1 Abrams)
     iii.   1x AD Section
         1.    (1x Stinger)
   c.   1 Mortar Co.
      i.   4xM106
      ii.   2xAD Section
           1.   (1x Stinger)
   d.   2-18 FA
       i.   3xCo
           1.   (8xM109)
   e.   A/5-7 ADA
       i.   3xPlatoon
           1.   (4xChapparall)

Soviet Forces
Estivate the 79th GTD will assault from North/North East (ECOA &ECOA2) in Echelon.  1-2 Regimental assaults in AM
1.   17th Guards Tank Regiment - 94 T-80, 43 BMP-2, 4 2S6, 4 SA-13, 18 2S1
2.   65th Guards Tank Regiment - 94 T-80, 43 BMP-2, 4 2S6, 4 SA-13, 18 2S1
3.   211th Guards Tank Regiment - 94 T-80, 43 BMP-2, 4 2S6, 4 SA-13, 18 2S1
4.   66th Guards MRR - 142 BMP-2, 40 T-64 , 4 2S6, 4 SA-13, 18 2S1, 9 BRDM 3
5.   172nd Artillery Regiment - 48 2S3, 18 BM-21
6.   79th Air Defense Regiment - 20 SA-15, 21 SA-7/14/16
7.   113th Recon Battalion - 6 T-72, 13 BRDM-2, 12 BMP-2, and 3 BRM
8.   79th SS-21 Battalion - 4 SS-21
9.   79th Engineer Battalion - 8 TMM, 6 GSP, 18 PMP, 12 K-61, 4 BTM, 2 MTK, 3 GMZ
10.   79th Helicopter Squadron - 6 MI-24, 6 MI-8, 6 MI-2

Tripoli

Turn 1 0500-0515

Initial contact is gained with a probable reinforced battalion-sized (+)  tank unit outside of Elters.   This unit attacked toward the Bieberstein gap.  Ten BRDM-2 and PT-76 reconnaissance vehicles, 16 T-80 tanks, 12 BMP AFVs and approximately 8 HQ vehicles were destroyed by a combination of artillery and direct fire. Approximately two companies of T-80 tanks and two platoons of mechanized infantry invic Elters remain.   Based on these losses, the Soviet tank battalion has suffered approximately 45% casualties. (Image 3)
A probe west from Allmus by approximately two companies of reconnaissance troops was stopped without loss after losing approximately nine (9) BRDM-2s .  Similarly, a reconnaissance by approximately a platoon-sized element moving south from Hofbieber was stopped. 
A probable Soviet Division HQ was by SIGINT located in Schwarzbach and shelled, causing some losses.

US loses-The US lost a section of M2 and their scouts in Bieberstein.

Estimate: Based on current Soviet losses, estimate that a Soviet tank battalion and possibly a second maneuver battalion is currently attempting to push through the Bieberstein gap.  Soviet reconnaissance probes west of Allmus and south of Hofbieber  have likely identified some of the US positions it those areas. 

C3/ECM: C3 is under MEDIUM EW hindrance, and we have a +7 min OODA advantage (14 vs. 21 min)

0515L

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Turn 2 0515-0529L

At 0520 the sun came up.  Visibility  is 2500 meters.

The Soviet push to Bieberstein continued between 0515-0529.  Another 13 T-80s are destroyed, as well as  8 more command vehicles (BRM-1 ksh and BMP ksh) and 6 BMP-2 IFV.  At 0528, a company of T-64 push west out of Allmus, indicating that  Soviet Motorized Rifle Regiment (MRR) is making a push for the Traisbach and/or the Niebieber crossings across the Haune river. A platoon of Soviet recon vehicles is detected moving SE out of Elters along L3379, apparently trying to find route to possibly flank the Bieberstein Gap position from the east. The remnants of three Companies of T-80s are visible invic Elters.    The initial attack through the Bieberstein gap was likely a tank regiment, which has suffered approximately 40% casualties at this point.  If it continues to attack, it will likely have only about 2 battalions of T-80s left. The only question is whether it will continue to attack the Bieberstein gap, or  try to flank it from the east. (Image 4)

US loses-The bad news is that the US has suffered relatively heavy losses. B/1-11 has lost six Bradley IFV and  three sections of scouts.  A/1-68 has lost or out of action 12 of its original 18 M-1 tanks.  While 126 Soviet vehicles are destroyed, only about 41 of these are T-80 tanks or BMPs.  The rest are largely reconnaissance units.  Effectively, the US has lost a company of tanks in exchange for destroying a battalion of Soviet tanks and a reconnaissance battalion. While this is a an approximate 3:1 loss ratio, the US needs to do better. 

Logistics/Moral-US morale is good.  Ammunition stockpiles are good, with the vast majority of units reporting +80% of their basic load remaining.  The exceptions are the six remaining M-1s of A/1-68, which are at 50%,  and a few units in B/1-11 that are at 75%.  The MLRS is at 33% ammunition, so it will have to be pulled out for resupply soon.

C3/ECM: C3 is under MEDIUM EW hindrance, and we have a +7 min OODA advantage (16 vs. 23 min)

My plan is to reinforce the US positions east of Kleinsassen with a platoon of M-1s to counter the possible Soviet tank battalion attempting to flank the Bieberstein gap.  I'm also going to shift  C/1-68 east 2.0 km to cover the Bieberstein gap and relieve the remnants of A/1-68, which will move to the rear and resupply (assuming they can hang on for another 30 minutes). See image 4 below:

Image 4.  SITREP 010529L Aug 85

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

IICptMillerII

Cold War! T-80s! BMPs! MRRs and MRBs! Flashpoint Campaigns!

Love the AAR so far! Nice and succinct presentation as well, with good descriptions and graphics. Plus it looks like you know what you are doing, which is always a good thing! Love seeing quality AARs in games I love. I'll be following with interest!

Tripoli

Quote from: IICptMillerII on September 10, 2021, 08:32:44 AM
Cold War! T-80s! BMPs! MRRs and MRBs! Flashpoint Campaigns!

Love the AAR so far! Nice and succinct presentation as well, with good descriptions and graphics. Plus it looks like you know what you are doing, which is always a good thing! Love seeing quality AARs in games I love. I'll be following with interest!

Thanks.  I'll get a couple of more turns done and posted over the next couple of days.  As usual, Real Life is interfering with my fantasy life...  As far as me knowing what I am doing:  By professional training, I am a USN surface warfare officer.  I'm having trouble finding my Harpoon shooters in this scenario, but I know they have to be somewhere in the scenario....  :)

Tripoli

Turn 4 010529-0545 August 1985

The Soviet MRR continues its push west out of Allmus towards Traisbach and the Haune river bridges.  This unit moves fast, covering 2.5 km in 15 minutes under heavy fire, and reaches the Traisbach bridge just as US engineers blow it up.  Similarly, the Steinhaus and Almendorf bridges are destroyed (denoted by the blue 4-pointed star in Image 5 below).  Unfortunately, the Niebieber bridge (denoted by the red diamond in Image 5 below) is not destroyed, leaving a possible route into the center of the US line.  (note: I'm not sure why the bridge wasn't destroyed.  Possibly it was due to the losses being taken by 1/B/1-11.  Alternatively, I may have messed up on the "buttonology" and simply failed to order it destroyed.)

A company sized unit of T-80s appears to be by-passing the minefield south of Hofbieber by taking the hill SW of the town.  If they remain there, it may force me to abandon Langenbieber. 

The Soviet tank battalion that was pushing from Elters towards Bieberstein appears to be temporarily stalled.  However, several companies of tanks and recon vehicles appear to be moving SE out of Elters down route K29.  This may presage a coordinated attack from the north and East against the units holding the Bieberstein gap.
Soviet Loses- 2 T-80, 5 T-64 BV and 12 BMP-2 were destroyed.  Additionally, 5 recon vehicles (BRDM-2 or BRM1k) and  2 SA-11s were destroyed, as well as several command vehicles.  Total Soviet losses are 40 tanks and another 31 IFV, as well as 50 reconnaissance vehicles.  The  Soviet 113th Recon battalion is likely combat ineffective at this point, and the MMR and Tank regiment that I believe I'm facing are likely at about 50% combat efficiency. US Artillery strikes (denoted with blue six-pointed stars) attrited some follow-on Soviet forces, as well as the Soviet divisional HQ.

US loses- 7 M-1 and 3 M-3s were lost this turn. The US has suffered 13%  combat losses.  Soviet artillery strikes (denoted with red six-pointed stars) were largely ineffective.

Logistics/Moral-US morale is good.  Ammunition stockpiles are good, with the vast majority of units reporting +75% of their basic load remaining.  The exceptions are the six remaining M-1s of A/1-68, which are at 50%,  and a few units in B/1-11 that are at 75%.  The MLRS is at 25% ammunition.  As I'm especting the Soviet attack to pause in the near future, I'm having it shift to a new position on the battlefield and to resupply.

C3/ECM: C3 is under MEDIUM EW hindrance, and we have a +10 min OODA advantage (14 vs. 24 min).  Gradually, the Soviet C3 network is breaking down.

Image 5 010545 Aug 85

Tripoli

Turn 5 0545-0600

The rising sun is gradually burning off the morning mist, increasing visibility to 6 km.  The increased visibility reveals that the US forces are facing at least 2 regiments.  What I believe to be the remnants of the Motorized Rifle Regiment (MRR) is moving into Traisbach.  I estimate it has been attrited about 40%.   What appears to be a tank regiment is entering Wittges.  I suspect that this is in fact the lead elements of a fresh tank regiment that are passing through  the tank regiment that attempted to force the Bieberstein gap.  The lead elements of the tank regiment that had been attacking for the past 45 minutes have not maneuvered significantly in the past 15 minutes, indicating that they may be executing a hand-off to a fresh regiment.

Soviet Loses- 17 T-80 or  T-64 BV and 5 BMP-2  IFV, 10 command vehicles and another 10 Air Defense (SA-11/ZSU-23 vehicles.  Total Soviet losses are 51 tanks, 36 IFV, 10 air defense (SA-11/ZSU-23), 29 command vehicles, 14 AD units and 2 SP Artillery and 51 reconnaissance vehicles.

US Losses-The US forces have been badly hit, and are now at 77% .  Despite being in fortified positions, 14 M-1A1s were knocked out, effectively trading 1:1 with the Soviets (note: this demonstrates why the 105mm gun on the M1A1 wasn't sufficiently powerful against the Soviet MBTs of the era.) .  B/1-11 and C/1-11 have suffered significant losses, and A/1-68 has been annihilated. 

Logistics/Moral-US morale is good.  Ammunition stockpiles are fair, with the vast majority of units reporting +65% of their basic load remaining.  However, B/1-11 will be shortly in need of resupply.   

C3/ECM: C3 is under MEDIUM EW hindrance, and we have a +10 min OODA advantage (14 vs. 24 min). 

Plan-Since there are indications that the Soviets have committed a third regiment in the Bieberstein area, I'm going to A/1-11 towards the southern outskirts of Steinau go help B/1-11 with the Soviets attempting to cross the Hanau at Traisbach.  Elements of C/1-11 will move north to help cover the Soviet flanking move to the east of Bieberstein.

Image 5 0545-0600

Note: I have no idea how that big, blue 4 pointed star got put at Wolferts.  It's only significance is as a testimony to my inattention to detail... ;D

IICptMillerII

QuoteI'm having trouble finding my Harpoon shooters in this scenario, but I know they have to be somewhere in the scenario....  :)

Ha! Well not to worry, for a squid you're handling yourself quite nicely! In all seriousness though, this is a well fought and well presented battle so far.

As to the situation, it really looks like the Soviets are throwing a ton of crap at you. I was wondering, what do you think led to the 1:1 tank battle you had in your most recent update? In the previous updates you were dealing out far more than you were receiving. Was it just the conditions of the battlefield (daytime) coupled with the bulk of the Soviet tank force that made the difference? I also imagine your ammo situation must be pretty rough for some of your units that have been heavily engaged.

Quotenote: this demonstrates why the 105mm gun on the M1A1 wasn't sufficiently powerful against the Soviet MBTs of the era.

Just an FYI, but the M1A1 was fitted with the M256 120mm gun. It was the original M1 and then the improvement upgrade to it, the M1IP (Improved Protection, sometimes listed as IPM1) that had the 105mm gun. No worries though, with all the different weapon and vehicle variants floating around, it is really easy to get lost in the sauce. Trust me, it has happened to me more than a few times.

Tripoli

Quote from: IICptMillerII on September 22, 2021, 06:57:23 AM
QuoteI'm having trouble finding my Harpoon shooters in this scenario, but I know they have to be somewhere in the scenario....  :)

Ha! Well not to worry, for a squid you're handling yourself quite nicely! In all seriousness though, this is a well fought and well presented battle so far.

As to the situation, it really looks like the Soviets are throwing a ton of crap at you. I was wondering, what do you think led to the 1:1 tank battle you had in your most recent update? In the previous updates you were dealing out far more than you were receiving. Was it just the conditions of the battlefield (daytime) coupled with the bulk of the Soviet tank force that made the difference? I also imagine your ammo situation must be pretty rough for some of your units that have been heavily engaged.

Quotenote: this demonstrates why the 105mm gun on the M1A1 wasn't sufficiently powerful against the Soviet MBTs of the era.

Just an FYI, but the M1A1 was fitted with the M256 120mm gun. It was the original M1 and then the improvement upgrade to it, the M1IP (Improved Protection, sometimes listed as IPM1) that had the 105mm gun. No worries though, with all the different weapon and vehicle variants floating around, it is really easy to get lost in the sauce. Trust me, it has happened to me more than a few times.

You are right.  I was going off my memory, which at age 60 is something I shouldn't do. :)  In any case, my M1s are doing a lot of shooting, but the 1.2:1 kill ratio this turn wasn't particularly good, a fact I attribute to the 105mm gun.  I'm actually surprised that the uparmored/reactive armored T-64BVs are holding up as well as they are.  I thought they would be easier to kill than the T-80s, but I don't think the US is doing as well against them.

As far as why the kill ratio suddenly dropped.  I really don't know why that is. My units (except for A/1-11) are in command radius, and in improved positions, so they should be okay from that perspective.  I lost 3 M1s near Traisbach due to ATGMs, so it may have been a simple numbers game, with a mech battalions' worth of Kornet-M ATGMs coming at me, I was bound to lose something.  Ideally, I would like to put a bit more artillery in that area, but I have the AI controlling the artillery.

Tripoli

Turn 6 0559-0614 01 August 1985

Turn 6 0559-0613

Overview: The Soviets are continuing a broad push between Traisbach in the North, and the Bieberstein gap in the center.  The tank unit pushing west from Traisbach appears to have stopped and is reversing, and the follow-on units appear to be trying to set up a possible crossing across the Haune river to the south of Traisbach.  Analysis of the battle log (which I assume represents COMINT)  indicates that this unit is the  17th Guards Tank Regiment (17 GTR).  Additionally, one or two battalions of the 66th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment (66 GMRR) appear to be supporting this effort. 

According to the battlelog/COMINT, the push from Hofbieber and Elters towards the Bieberstein Gap is being made by the 211 GTR.  Tanks of the 211GTR have penetrated into Langenbieber and are are engaged in close quarters city fighting with a platoon from C/1-68 and some scouts from 1/1-11.  However, 2 more companies of T-64s and one company of BMPs is approaching, so the US won't be able to hold Langenbieber.

One to two battalions of the 66 GMRR were pushing SE of of Elters to flank the Bieberstein Gap.  However, these units have not advanced and appear to be stalled.  This may reflect the 66 GMRR is experiencing C3 problems either because of losses or because of command radius issues, as it has significant elements with the 17 GTR near Traisbach.

Image 6 0614 10 August 1985

This leaves the 65th GTR unaccounted for.  According to the message log (aka COMINT), elements of the 65 GTR were shelled at 0610 to the east of Schwarzbach. The importance of this information is that it indicates that the Soviets are likely to not try to flank the US positions either from the east via B458/Dietges/Abtsroda or from the North, via B27/Marbach.  This will free up both A/1-11 and portions of C/1-11 to reinforce the center of my line.
The next question is where the 65 GTR is going to attack.  My guess is that the flanking movement to the east of the the Bieberstein Gap by the 66 GMRR is stalled.  I believe Soviet doctrine would have the 65th GTR reinforce a success.    This leaves either following 17 GTR and the 66 GMRR (-) across the Haune river at Traisbach, or support the 211 GTR in forcing the Bieberstein Gap. 

My guess right now it that the 65 GTR will support 211 GTR by sending 2 battalions through Elters and Beiberstein, and one through Hofbieber and Langenbieber.  The 17 GTR and 66 GMRR(-) will support this move by crossing the Haune river south of Traisbach

Soviet losses were heavy this turn.  17 more tanks (total 74), 26 BMP-2 (total 62), 10 more headquarters units (total 39), and 6 more air defense units (total 20) were destroyed.  Based on these losses, I am estimating that the units have the following combat effectiveness:
  17 GTR      65%
211 GTR      50 %
66 GMMR      40%
65 GTR      100%

However, the US has suffered badly.  My forces are down to 71% of their combat power.  Only 58 Abrams tanks remain.  While I would like to fall back and regroup, the Soviets have not stopped pushing forward, giving the US no opportunity to pull back to another defensive line.
C3/ECM: C3 is under MEDIUM EW hindrance, and we have a +9 min OODA advantage (15 vs. 24 min).