The Great War: Western Front

Started by SirAndrewD, August 24, 2022, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Great War Western Front demo is coming on the 6th to steam iirc. Looking forward to it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I am holing off until the demo to see how it really plays before I decide on purchasing.  If it does well, then will pre purchase but since the demo is soon, might as well wait and confirm it is as good as it might seem.  The fact they are willing to share a demo bodes well that they aren't afraid to have people play before buying so fingers crossed.

Grim.Reaper

I see why they did a demo, get's them new customers like me:)  Really impressed what I see, seems to have a lot of deep things going on and I likely will stink, but it was fun even playing the tutorial.  Can't wait now.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Just watched someone play the tutorials in the demo version...

Wow there are so many mechanics in this game. If it is balanced it could be an absolute masterpiece.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

W8taminute

Started the demo last night.  I was very happy to see the demo includes a taste of campaign gameplay, not just a single battle.  Didn't spend too much time but I really like what I see so far.

This game, unless it makes me rage quit for some reason, should hold my attention for quite a while when it does release.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

W8taminute

Ok so I spent more time with the demo, specifically the campaign portion of it.  Fought my first defensive battle and the tutorial does a really good job of walking the player through the various options and tools at your disposal.  Really clean gameplay without being a frantic click fest. 

I found a lot of joy setting up the strategic map with all the preparations necessary to wage a WW1 style campaign.  This game seems deep without being overwhelming.

Next up I'll try to the offensive battle tutorial.

Jarhead0331

I'd like to see more carnage. Bodies shouldn't disappear quite as quickly and should be scattered around no man's land. Also, is terrain deformable, or is it static? It was hard to tell from the single defensive battle I played.

Otherwise, this game is clearly going to be a hit. Its very well done.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

devoncop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 09, 2023, 09:27:51 AMI'd like to see more carnage. Bodies shouldn't disappear quite as quickly and should be scattered around no man's land. Also, is terrain deformable, or is it static? It was hard to tell from the single defensive battle I played.

The terrain in tactical battles will be different in each Campaign as players invest in main trenches/barbed wire/strongpoints/communiction trenches but the trench lines themselves, once placed will persist as the region changes hands (as they did historically). German trenches were always seen as preferable to British or French ones for example by Allied troops due to better build quality....("Vorsprung Durch Technic")  :grin: 
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Philippe

They updated their demo.  I take that as a good sign.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 09, 2023, 09:27:51 AMI'd like to see more carnage. Bodies shouldn't disappear quite as quickly and should be scattered around no man's land. Also, is terrain deformable, or is it static? It was hard to tell from the single defensive battle I played.

Two counterpoints:

• Agreed on the carnage.  I too noticed bodies while they are in the middle of dying fly all over the place but do not remain on the battlefield long.  I guess we wait for the released version to confirm.
  • Terrain, according to the let's play videos I've watched are deformable in that they get pockmarked with craters, forests turn into stumps, etc.  If you are asking whether hills can be raised/lowered via terraforming techniques then I don't think that's possible.  Maybe in a map editor if one comes with the final version of the game?

Gusington

Yeah just downloaded the demo update. How many tutorials are there right now?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd