Combat Mission confusion

Started by Philippe, March 15, 2023, 10:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

I'm probably the only one here who doesn't own CMBN.

What's held me back is the limited number of downloads, the apparent weirdness that will go on if you switch computers (and it's eventually an issue for all of us with Windows 11 on the horizon), and not being able to send an email to Matt to get things sorted out if something awkward happens (I think Schrully is still around and he's very good, but he won't remember me and there are some serious crazies in BTS or its successors' management and I don't want to have to rely on their making a reasonable decision). When you couple that with a three figure price, you have a perfect cocktail for not buying, nostalgia and former loyalty be damned.

As usual I'm the last on the block to get the word.  I'm now hearing rumors that CMBN will come out on Steam. Does anyone know anything about this?  There is of course no way to know if they will support their product properly on the Steam platform -- they're very good but very set in their ways. Does anyone know if ALL the CMBN modules will be available ?  The Steam platform could potentially remove a lot (but not all) of my perceived obstacles to buying this. 
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Gusington

I do not own any CM games for many of the reasons cited above but that will change as more get ported to Steam, especially Red Thunder.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

I think part of the answer to my questions is that CMBN is making its way to Steam via Slitherine/Matrix.  That's good from a compatability perspective, but it also suggests that the Slitherine/Matrix/Steam version may not be as complete or up-to-date version as the one at Battlefront (assuming they still call it that). 

I tend to buy my Marix/Slitherine games direct, but play them on Steam when a key is availlable.  That may not be possible or perhaps relevant here.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Philippe on March 15, 2023, 10:53:55 AMAs usual I'm the last on the block to get the word.  I'm now hearing rumors that CMBN will come out on Steam. Does anyone know anything about this?  There is of course no way to know if they will support their product properly on the Steam platform -- they're very good but very set in their ways. Does anyone know if ALL the CMBN modules will be available ?  The Steam platform could potentially remove a lot (but not all) of my perceived obstacles to buying this. 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2297010/discussions/0/3790380616230793437/

Battlefront and Slitherine are thrilled to announce that Combat Mission Battle for Normandy, one of the most iconic titles of the Combat Mission series, is coming on March 28th.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=26793.0

Pete Dero

Quote from: Philippe on March 15, 2023, 11:44:21 AMit also suggests that the Slitherine/Matrix/Steam version may not be as complete or up-to-date version as the one at Battlefront (assuming they still call it that). 

As far as I know all Steam/Slitherine versions have the same content on release as the Battlefront edition.

JasonPratt

There's a reasonably good chance I'm gonna end up rebuying all my WW2 CMx2 games from Matrixlitherine sooner or later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Father Ted

A Steam key for CMBN would definitely give me peace of mind.  I've been a victim of Battlefront's draconian DRM a couple of times and the idea that my £50 bit of software stopped working coz I upgraded my PC really pissed me off

JasonPratt

Snorf, like I know where my Battlefront keys are....  :doh:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 15, 2023, 02:07:32 PMSnorf, like I know where my Battlefront keys are....  :doh:

Here : https://www.battlefront.com/index.php?p=orders

And now try to remember your Battlefront password.

JasonPratt

..............................  :HideEyes:

Redwolf

There is a third version of the BFC CMx2 games:
- BFC
- Steam
- Matrix

The Matrix one has a simple serial number auth scheme with no install limits and no invalidation on new hardware.

You will have to wait for the Steam release, though.

Tripoli

The Matrix version also uses their PBEM+++ system, which works pretty well for PBEM  matches, and is easier/quicker to use than emailing PBEM files.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

smittyohio

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 15, 2023, 11:44:36 AMBattlefront and Slitherine are thrilled to announce that Combat Mission Battle for Normandy, one of the most iconic titles of the Combat Mission series, is coming on March 28th.

Day 1 purchase for me.  Been holding off since they first came out due to the DRM scheme.

Redwolf

Quote from: Tripoli on March 16, 2023, 08:32:18 PMThe Matrix version also uses their PBEM+++ system, which works pretty well for PBEM  matches, and is easier/quicker to use than emailing PBEM files.

The BFC versions also gain the PBEM++ system when the Steam release happens.

Personally I think it is unusable, but hey...