In Friday, I'll be in Good Company

Started by Dammit Carl!, March 31, 2023, 02:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on April 01, 2023, 08:18:51 PMWhere'd you get it? I have a few helmets, including a German one of WWII vintage that a friend of mine brought back from Prague. That's the oldest one I have, though.

Interestingly, my parents got it for me as a Christmas Gift in 1985.  I was a history nut even at that age and they bought it from an Army/Navy Surplus store in Dallas. 

Confirmation that it was a WWI issue helmet came much later when I was older and actually could do some research.  I dug into all the telltale signs on how to see if your helmet was WWI or one of the much more common WWII variants.  If you know what you're looking for (sheepskin, leather, clasps, magnetization, outer crimp ring) you can spot them. 

The shrapnel damage is clear and distinct, a heavy impact along the back right corner.  It broke the crown rest nut a little and probably gave whoever wore it a bad day about 100 years ago.  It didn't break the armor but I wouldn't have wanted to be wearing it when that happened. 

A great piece of history. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

So, because I'm showing off and this is an audience that's probably interested...here's the interior

The "Nut" is a hard leather crown rest that should be attached to the sweat band.  It eventually cracked and hardened to the point I had to remove it as it was about to shatter.  I'd show it but I have it in storage.

Internals though outside the nut are intact.  The telltale signs are the leatherwork, that mostly got replaced by canvas for WW2 variants and the sheepskin. 

That was once full sheepswool, but of course 100 years takes a toll.  The fact any is left is surprising.

I had a collector, Eric Sorensen, who had an extensive WWI rifle and helmet room that offered me $1k for it back in 2002.  I laughed at him.  It was fair but it's worth more than that to me. 

I rarely ever put it on considering what its history has to be.  I like to think the person that wore it in '18 went home and lived a long life. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Enjoyed reading that SirAndrewD. thx :)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on April 02, 2023, 12:44:32 AMEnjoyed reading that SirAndrewD. thx :)

Always glad to stay on topic! 

Next week...not joking, my West German Police Helmet that's actually a crudely painted over Russian Red Army helmet.

Sir Slash

This man takes his History, and headwear, seriously.  :ThumbsUp:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Groggy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 01, 2023, 09:00:19 PMI rarely ever put it on considering what its history has to be.  I like to think the person that wore it in '18 went home and lived a long life. 

Very cool. Thank you for sharing. It's intriguing to think what sort of oral history the helmet would relate if it could talk.

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 01, 2023, 09:00:19 PMI had a collector, Eric Sorensen, who had an extensive WWI rifle and helmet room that offered me $1k for it back in 2002.  I laughed at him.  It was fair but it's worth more than that to me.

Is this the same Eric Sorensen who is a congressman from Illinois?
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Groggy on April 02, 2023, 09:55:02 PMIs this the same Eric Sorensen who is a congressman from Illinois?

Nope.  Just a living history guy that had a really nice Great War collection.