The weekend is here - WHATCHA Playing?

Started by JudgeDredd, October 05, 2012, 05:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

If you are playing solo get CoH, FoG has the worst AI imaginable.   The CoH AI is actually pretty challenging and makes for a fun game.

Ubercat

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 06, 2012, 04:03:19 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on October 06, 2012, 08:06:43 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 06, 2012, 12:15:33 AM
Holy crap, I just downloaded a Java based program that lets you easily create custom Arkham Horror stuff. I see myself spending way too much time playing with this and creating stupid, stupid things (Richard Simmons as an Ancient Evil One, perhaps?).

When you post things that others will probably be interested in, it's customary to provide a link.

;) Just sayin'.

Heh, sorry about that. You can download it here : http://cgjennings.ca/eons/

I installed with every plugin (though it seems some of those have died and gone away. You'll get a couple of 404 - not found messages, but you can just move in and it installs everything else) and it came in around 54MB or so. Run the .jar file to start it up (obviously, you need Java installed).

I've just played around with it a bit, but I'm actually really impressed. Dirt simple to use. All of the templates for everything (Investigators, Ancient Ones, Monsters, Items, Spells, Allies, Skills, Mythos Cards, Encounter Cards, Heralds, Guardians, Board Locations, Gate Tokens, Tracks, Investigator Stories, Injury/Madness Cards, etc., etc.) are in there. So you just add your stats and text and pictures and it puts them on to the template for whatever you're making.

Printing is a complete disaster, at least for me, but you can export the files as an image and set your quality however you want and print them from a picture viewing program.

I'm considering doing up Investigator cards for a few friends and I so that we can play as stylized versions of ourselves the next time, perhaps with a few custom items as well.  ;D

That IS cool. Thanks!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Ubercat

Quote from: Bison on October 07, 2012, 08:06:33 AM
If you are playing solo get CoH, FoG has the worst AI imaginable.   The CoH AI is actually pretty challenging and makes for a fun game.

I've heard that the combat results in FoG often make no sense. You should be able to predict, in general, how a particular melee will likely turn out based on the types of troops involved. My impression from what some others have said is that anything can happen at any time, even things that would be wildly unlikely in real life.

Another vote for CoH.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bison

Quote from: Ubercat on October 07, 2012, 08:15:31 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 07, 2012, 08:06:33 AM

I've heard that the combat results in FoG often make no sense. You should be able to predict, in general, how a particular melee will likely turn out based on the types of troops involved. My impression from what some others have said is that anything can happen at any time, even things that would be wildly unlikely in real life.

Another vote for CoH.

Well the combat results can be confusing it's true, but I guess based on what I've read they are consistant with the mini's ruleset.  The issue is the AI is completely braindead.  The game is meant to be played MP, which I think is a terrible trend in wargaming these days.  The mindset that there is no need for a strong AI because you can just play another human is foolish IMO.  I'd venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of wargamers play solo.

That is why I really like CoH.   There is MP availible, but the AI was designed to be an effective enemy.  Eventually a player can exploit the AI's limitations, but it is much harder to do so than FoG and many other wargames.

Toonces

Wow, that's good to know about FoG.  I've been wanting that game for a long time, but if the AI sucks there's not much sense in getting it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

So far this weeking (as of Sunday, 6pm, the rest of you are probably already sleeping) I did play some Oblivion and am on the verge of getting to the point where all the Oblvion gates start opening up.

I reinstalled and played an hour of Alice: Madness Returns.

And I installed some mods for Skyrim, but I am currently installing the Graphics Overhaul 2.0 for Morrowind.  I think I might just shelve Skyrim for a while; I really have always wanted to play Morrowind and I might also put Oblvion as well to play Morrowind.  I don't know that I can play two of these games concurrently and so much time has passed between when I started my saved Oblivion campaign and now that I've sort of lost track of what is going on.

Strangely enough, I haven't played any wargames whatsoever, it's been full-on geekfest.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Kushan

Oblivion was a horrible game IMO. Morrowind the other hand is one of my favorite RPG's of all time. I think next to WoW, Morrowind is the game I've sunk the most time into. SKyrim is catching up though.

Getting more CTD's with Skyrim. On my way to fight the dragon in Kynsgrove and I get a CTD as soon as I get the the dragon mound. I think its one of my mods but I'm not sure which one it could be. If I can't get it fixed then I'll probably shelve the game for awhile.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm of the opposite opinion.  I thought Oblivion was pretty good (I never played it until several months after it was released and lots of mods were out for it though.  I have no idea what vanilla was like.)  I absolutely hated Morrowind though.  It felt like the devs spent all their time creating the topography and then forgot to build a game world on it.  Dull quests, generic NPCs that all seemed to have the same 3 lines of text, and zero play balance.  I was pretty much invincible by the time I was around level 10 or so.  Exploring the island was fun for a few hours, but that was the only interesting part of the experience.  The res was just a dull, repetative grind.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Kushan on October 07, 2012, 11:23:25 PM
Oblivion was a horrible game IMO. Morrowind the other hand is one of my favorite RPG's of all time. I think next to WoW, Morrowind is the game I've sunk the most time into. SKyrim is catching up though.

That's interesting; I'm also one of the seemingly rare breed who thought Morrowind was genius but Oblivion was crap.  To hear you say that Skyrim is good intrigues me; due to being so disappointed by Oblivion I haven't had the slightest interest in Skyrim at all.  Perhaps I ought to reconsider.

spelk

I've been mostly playing, (or trying to play) successful Walrus driving in Carrier Command Gaea Missions, Siren based crowd control with purple bubbles in Borderlands 2 and yappy dog murder in Tokyo Jungle. With some Android loving over an abstracted RTS/Missile Command hybrid called Silo MAD, and some frustrating die roll based adventuring in Victory Point Games Loot and Scoot. Busy weekend then.

Toonces

Skyrim is easily the most immersive environment I have ever experienced in a computer game.  Seriously, I don't see how you can go wrong with it.

RPG purists will certainly find stuff to nitpick, and maybe it does get tedious with the dungeon crawling, but still, the game as a whole is just fantastic.  It's the kind of game where you honestly just want to take a few minutes and admire things for a while. 

If it's not my favorite game of all time, it has to be in the top 5, and I've played a LOT of video games in the last 25 years or so.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2012, 12:38:40 AM
Quote from: Kushan on October 07, 2012, 11:23:25 PM

That's interesting; I'm also one of the seemingly rare breed who thought Morrowind was genius but Oblivion was crap.  To hear you say that Skyrim is good intrigues me; due to being so disappointed by Oblivion I haven't had the slightest interest in Skyrim at all.  Perhaps I ought to reconsider.

+1. Morrowind was the first RPG to really grab me and not let go. I loved it.  While I did enjoy Oblivion too, the fact that all creatures and NPCs in the game leveled up with your character killed it for me.  I never really felt like my character was progressing and that robbed quite a bit of enjoyment from me. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Exclusively played AJE at the weekend. Nothing else got a look in!

I'm very surprised with myself I have to say.
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 08, 2012, 07:00:11 AM
Exclusively played AJE at the weekend. Nothing else got a look in!

I'm very surprised with myself I have to say.

Pretty much the same here.  Pescrinius Niger's endless saga sucked me in.  What's up with that Septimus Servius guy?  Who died and made him emperor?   I did do a tiny bit of Harpoon 4.1 and a few minutes of ROF.