Groghead Game Donation Thread

Started by republic, September 05, 2013, 06:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2016, 04:20:26 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 01, 2016, 06:52:36 PM
I have keys for Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic II...if you want, let me know..first come

Haha! Me too. That means we have two copies of each up for grabs.

And nobody appears to want them:)

mirth

Already own them and I just gave away my keys from the Humble Bundle :P

If anyone hasn't played them, they hold up very well from a game play standpoint and there are some mods available that improve the graphics a bit. There's an extensive mod for KOTOR2 that restores a lot of the "lost content" that didn't make it into the original game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485537937
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

I would take the first one however I think I'm going to jump on this Bundle too
Insert witty comment here.

AchillesLastStand

I have keys for Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic II...if you want, let me know..first come

I would be, pm sent.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on March 03, 2016, 04:58:08 AM

I would be, pm sent.

Sure, I'll send them tonight when I get home.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on March 02, 2016, 04:30:48 PM
If anyone hasn't played them, they hold up very well from a game play standpoint and there are some mods available that improve the graphics a bit. There's an extensive mod for KOTOR2 that restores a lot of the "lost content" that didn't make it into the original game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485537937

Thanks for sharing this, mirth. I reinstalled KOTOR II last night just to give it a spin and the improvement on the interface alone is pretty awesome (seems like it's 1920x1200 resolution now). I ended up playing it for a couple of hours which I didn't intend to do.

I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that there are no mods for the original KOTOR. At least, not in the Steam community.

mirth

There are far fewer mods for KOTOR. I had to do a fair amount of research to find mods and figure out what was worth installing. I'll see what I can dig up for links (pretty sure I bookmarked them on the home PC). It's been a year or more since I last played KOTOR so I'm not sure exactly what mods I used, but here are a couple links that will steer you in the right direction:

www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/the_yeti_blog/archive/2012/07/12/the-best-mods-for-knights-of-the-old-republic.aspx

https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/34fkgh/just_got_kotor_i_and_ii_what_are_the_best_mods/

The restored content mod that I linked to in my previous post is an absolute must have for KOTOR II. The original release was really only half-finished (though still a very good game). The mod makes into the exceptional game that it should have always been. The dedication of the modders behind it is impressive to say the least.

These games still hold my interest 10-plus years after first playing them. They are remarkably well done RPGs and, imho, the best Star Wars video games ever made.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on March 03, 2016, 11:17:12 AM
The dedication of the modders behind it is impressive to say the least.

Always, always this. The dedication some of those guys have...

Quote from: mirth on March 03, 2016, 11:17:12 AM
These games still hold my interest 10-plus years after first playing them. They are remarkably well done RPGs and, imho, the best Star Wars video games ever made.

Absolutely. The fact that Steam usually sells them for $10 is telling as to how awesome they both are.

I like the first one a lot more than the second one, but the second one is not all that bad. I'm a creep I guess, because I liked the love interest angle that KOTOR had potential for. It brings you into the end game even more strongly.

mirth

I prefer the first one too. It was better crafted overall. The second is still very good, but it doesn't match the original.

BanzaiCat

Well it worked perfectly fine last night. I decided to fire it up for a little play on a lunch break and today my mouse cursor is missing in-game. I can still access functions and they highlight, but the mouse cursor itself is invisible now.

I restarted the game several times and even restarted Steam itself and no dice, it's still gone. And there's no fix that I can find.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 03, 2016, 12:47:06 PM
Well it worked perfectly fine last night. I decided to fire it up for a little play on a lunch break and today my mouse cursor is missing in-game. I can still access functions and they highlight, but the mouse cursor itself is invisible now.

I restarted the game several times and even restarted Steam itself and no dice, it's still gone. And there's no fix that I can find.

That's a PITA. I've never had a problem with it. I've been playing a modded version of  KOTOR 2 on and off for a year without any problems.

mirth

Fwiw, I run it on my Win 7 laptop. I don't think I have the latest release of the Restored Content Mod either. I haven't updated since I first installed it and I'm pretty sure there has been at least one more release since then.

BanzaiCat

Figured it out...I guess. Ran across a thread that said you should turn off mouse trailers, which is in Control Panel > Mouse. Mine wasn't on in the first place, but I checked it, clicked Apply, then deselected it, clicked Apply, and tried running the game...and voila, mouse cursor.

Hopefully that's not going to happen every time I run it.

mirth

Weird. Computers can be super fun like that.

BanzaiCat

Yeah. Like this "safe mode" that Image Search keeps trying to shove down my throat.