Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 07, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
I went back to 2D on my 2080ti back-up rig for shits and giggles. Wanted to compare FPS, performance and graphics in 2D with VR. It took me awhile to reconfigure and export the MFD screens to my second monitor with the mounted Cougar MFDs, as its been so crazy long since I've played in 2D and I forgot how to do it. In any event, haven't had the time to test performance, but it is so weird and different. It feels like its going from a true sim experience where you're in the cockpit, to just sitting behind a desk playing a computer game. Maybe that feeling is also enhanced since I'm not sitting in my F-16 ACES II ejection seat with built-in vibrating jetseat?

Regardless, I don't think DCS in 2d is something that is going to take. I just think that once you go VR, there is no coming back.

Can you read all the instruments in your VR headsets, at least as well as in 2D?

Which headset do you have?

Yskonyn

That depends on which headset you use.
In my Rift CV1 things were quite blurry and the screendoor effect made things hard to read.
On my Reverb G2 the image is almost as clear as it is on my monitor, but you'll require a beefy setup; my GTX1080 is able to run the G2 at 90Hz, but in DCS it is unable to get enough performance to make the experience comfortable.
With my new RTX3080 Ti the performance is much better.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on July 07, 2021, 12:16:36 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 07, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
I went back to 2D on my 2080ti back-up rig for shits and giggles. Wanted to compare FPS, performance and graphics in 2D with VR. It took me awhile to reconfigure and export the MFD screens to my second monitor with the mounted Cougar MFDs, as its been so crazy long since I've played in 2D and I forgot how to do it. In any event, haven't had the time to test performance, but it is so weird and different. It feels like its going from a true sim experience where you're in the cockpit, to just sitting behind a desk playing a computer game. Maybe that feeling is also enhanced since I'm not sitting in my F-16 ACES II ejection seat with built-in vibrating jetseat?

Regardless, I don't think DCS in 2d is something that is going to take. I just think that once you go VR, there is no coming back.

Can you read all the instruments in your VR headsets, at least as well as in 2D?

Which headset do you have?

I've been able to read all the instruments for as long as I can remember, but I've been using VR for close to 10 years now. I have 6 headsets, but right now for dcs use a Pimax 8kx and reverb g2. Both provide excellent clarity.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Thanks, guys. I have a plain Rift, and nothing is readable. Hence the question.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on July 09, 2021, 09:08:55 AM
Thanks, guys. I have a plain Rift, and nothing is readable. Hence the question.

The CV1? Yeah, that is a first gen early headset. I probably had similar issues with my original Vive. Things definitely improved significantly since those headsets were released. Even the Quest 2 and/or Rift S will give you a noticeably better experience.

My progression went from:

HTC Vive
Oculus Rift S
HP Reverb G1
Oculus Quest 2
HP Reverb G2
Pimax 8Kx

I currently still use the Rift S, Quest 2, both Reverbs and the Pimax. However, I'm looking to sell the Reverb G1. i'd sell the Vive too, but nobody would buy it at this point probably and I am using the light stations for my Pimax.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Guys...this a game changer for VR in DCS. I am blown away.

My FPS in VR is now 75 with a Pimax8kX. High settings in DCS and PiTool render at 1.5 with high FOV and in-game PD of 1.2. Simply amazed. Three days ago an FSR mod was released that implements AMD's brand new platform agnostic competitor to DLSS. I just tried it and it's nuts.

FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR for short) is an upscaling technique developed by AMD, but it works on pretty much any graphics card, including NVIDIA cards. The idea is that the game internally renders to a lower resolution, thus saving GPU time and reaching higher FPS, as long as it is not bottlenecked by the CPU. The resulting lower resolution render is then upscaled to the target resolution by FSR, with the aim of restoring some of the lost detail due to the lower resolution rendering. It does so in two steps - the first being the actual upscaling to the target resolution, where particular attention is paid to edges in the lower resolution picture. The second step is a sharpening step to counter some of the blur introduced by the upscaling.

Note that, unlike DLSS, FSR is not an anti-aliasing solution. Any aliasing and shimmering edges present in the original image will not be fixed by FSR. As such, the final image quality of FSR depends a lot on the particular game you are using it with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/of80p6/dcs_20_vr_framerate_boost_openvr_fsr/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/openvr-fsr/12743

https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr/tree/fsr_alpha1.2

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Eurofighter coming. Made by Heatblur, so should be good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODFQSboBxg

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Redwolf

If I read everything correctly, TrueGrit will be the ones responsible for the Eurofighter (now with Heatblur resources added), while Heatblur's own team will continue on the A-6E Intruder.

Either way, I trust them to make a good one.

SirAndrewD

So, I had a particularly good month at work and I find myself considering some crazy spending...

I currently have a, roughly year old, X-56 which I've been liking.  I guess I got lucky and didn't hit one that had any of the out of the box issues and never saw any problems with ghosting. 

I also got the F/A 18 Arming Box from WinWing and a Blackhog explorer with my setup that already had Cougar MFD's.

The thing is, I see now Virpil has reduced their backorders to only a couple of weeks.  My next big purchase was to upgrade by rudder pedals to Thrustmaster TPR, but I'm honestly now considering keeping my old crappy Saitek's and ordering the full Virpil Mongoose set with mounting and extender.

Anyone ever make the jump from a Rhino to Virpil?  Is the upgrade worth the...close to $1500 I might have to spend?  Or am I better off trucking with my Rhino and putting the dough towards the TPS?

Winwing also has a fantastic sale going on right now but they're so F/A-18 centered I'm hesitant to go there despite being very happy with the Combat Ready Panel.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 20, 2021, 07:59:58 PM
So, I had a particularly good month at work and I find myself considering some crazy spending...

I currently have a, roughly year old, X-56 which I've been liking.  I guess I got lucky and didn't hit one that had any of the out of the box issues and never saw any problems with ghosting. 

I also got the F/A 18 Arming Box from WinWing and a Blackhog explorer with my setup that already had Cougar MFD's.

The thing is, I see now Virpil has reduced their backorders to only a couple of weeks.  My next big purchase was to upgrade by rudder pedals to Thrustmaster TPR, but I'm honestly now considering keeping my old crappy Saitek's and ordering the full Virpil Mongoose set with mounting and extender.

Anyone ever make the jump from a Rhino to Virpil?  Is the upgrade worth the...close to $1500 I might have to spend?  Or am I better off trucking with my Rhino and putting the dough towards the TPS?

Winwing also has a fantastic sale going on right now but they're so F/A-18 centered I'm hesitant to go there despite being very happy with the Combat Ready Panel.

Everyone who has a Virpil gear swears by it and I have never heard anyone say they have regretted the purchase or that they preferred the Warthog. But, $1500!? Damn! That's crazy money and coming from me, who spends a fortune on sim hardware, that is saying a lot.

I am totally happy with the Warthog and haven't really considered moving on from it. I like the Winwing stuff (I have the Combat and Take-off panels) and have considered getting the Libra set, but that Throttle set up is gigantic.

What made you decide on the TPS? I recently transitioned to the MFG Crosswind and have been very pleased...it's of exceptional quality, relatively compact and about  $250 less than the TPS.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2021, 08:18:13 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 20, 2021, 07:59:58 PM

Everyone who has a Virpil gear swears by it and I have never heard anyone say they have regretted the purchase or that they preferred the Warthog. But, $1500!? Damn! That's crazy money and coming from me, who spends a fortune on sim hardware, that is saying a lot.

I am totally happy with the Warthog and haven't really considered moving on from it. I like the Winwing stuff (I have the Combat and Take-off panels) and have considered getting the Libra set, but that Throttle set up is gigantic.

What made you decide on the TPS? I recently transitioned to the MFG Crosswind and have been very pleased...it's of exceptional quality, relatively compact and about  $250 less than the TPS.

To make a totally unhelpful comment that won't help you decide at all, I have found my experience with VKB to be nothing but pure joy

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2021, 08:18:13 PM
$1500!? Damn! That's crazy money and coming from me, who spends a fortune on sim hardware, that is saying a lot.

Yeah, $1500 is what's putting me off.  That's the full setup, Base, Stick, stick extender, mount and throttle.  I don't think I'd do it half assed and if I pulled the trigger on Virpil that'd be the way I go.  I just don't know if it's worth it against the X56 yet....I might ala carte it out. 

As to the TPS, I did on reviews.  I saw a few that compared it to the crosswind and they rated it better on precision and ease of placement.  I strongly considered the Crosswind too. My setup is a bit odd because I have to sort of use my desktop as my home office for 7 hours a day out of 5 days so I need modular.  I can't do a mounting.  TPS was, from what I read heavy enough to set down and move without need to put some kind of leverage down. 

I am interested in hearing about how good the Crosswind is compared to the tried and true Saitek.  I've been using these pedals for well on over 20 years and I'm very ready to move on.  They're kind of the weak link in my setup but they've held their own.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 20, 2021, 09:15:41 PM

To make a totally unhelpful comment that won't help you decide at all, I have found my experience with VKB to be nothing but pure joy

The Gunfighter was my second choice over the Mongoose.  I just really liked the button selection on the Mongoose. 

I seriously almost got the VKB stick back when I got my X56.  I didn't because there was no throttle and I was upgrading from the X52 Pro and needed a dual set.