John Tillers campaign series update at Matrix

Started by -budd-, February 19, 2014, 09:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

For those that own John Tillers campaign series from Matrix the long awaited 2.00 patch is out. Announcement is due tomorrow but it's available in the members area. The description reads like the 104 and even mentions the 104 but the post date and file name are recent and it worked fine for me.

Here's a link to the developers diaries     http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3502727
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Bison

Apocalypse 31

I wish someone would post a let's play or some kind of video aar. There is absolutely no video media associated with this game.

jomni

Nice. This is permanently installed in my hard drive.

Philippe

Out of curiosity, was Tiller & Co. involved in producing the patch in any way, and what exactly does it do?

I'd be curious to see a compare and contrast with Tiller's current games, particularly the Napoleonic ones.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Tuna

Doesn't download for me, error's out.. Budd in the message thread on the post, you state that it's available in the Members area? When I go there, I see a download from 2007 (manual) and that's it.. am I missing something?

SgtRock

One thing you can say about Matrix Games, their games just keep on giving! :)

It's too bad, there's no graphic updates, the 2D counters are just too small for any res greater than 800x600. There seems to be some discussion of the possibility of future graphic support in the future from Slitherine & Lordz Studio, that would be great. Maybe Matrix has future plans for this series?

Try this

John Tiller's Campaign Series Update v2.00 (213 MB)
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/318/downloads/John.Tiller%27s.Campaign.Series

Update:
The 3D graphics still look good even at 1920 X 1080, I wish the buttons on the bottom menu were bigger, they seem to have gotten smaller, maybe because there are now more of them, glad there are hot keys.

Only quip so far, when you select units through the reinforcement popup box, they are not automatically selected (highlighted) and you have to manually select them.

-budd-

There is a modern war version they have been working on for awhile. As far as i know tiller had nothing to do with this or any future games to come. They have really done alot of work on this game, i haven't had a chance to get into it to deeply yet but it sure is nice to have hot keys for just about everything.

berto

Quote from: Philippe on February 20, 2014, 09:02:52 AM
Out of curiosity, was Tiller & Co. involved in producing the patch in any way, and what exactly does it do?

John Tiller & co. were not involved in the update in any way, except to have designed and coded the original game series.  We are and were entirely on our own.

Nothing concise yet, but for an account of the changes, try:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3502727
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

TheCommandTent

Was any more content added to the series or was this just updates, fixes and improvements?

Follow up question.  Has there ever been any additional campaigns released for the game? (East/West Front)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

SgtRock

Release Notes:

V2.00 – Feb 12, 2014
•   Bug Fixes

◦   Fixed a legacy bug involving BunkerMorale (bunkers were mistakenly using TrenchMorale), and revised downward BunkerMorale from +4 to +3.
◦   Restored High Details to the Options menu.
◦   Fixed edmap & edit toolbars.
◦   Fixed an inherited edorg date bug.
◦   Fixed an inherited Battle Generator bug.
◦   Fixed inherited, legacy start & stop date bugs.
◦   Fixed the edmap horizontal banding and saw-tooth screen edge legacy bugs.
◦   If PBEM Replay is skipped, fixed bug where animation speed was set to slowest setting.
◦   Fixed an inherited frontend bug where, for the CS, earlier year pre-war GetDateValue() conversions were missing.
◦   Fixed an inherited bug where, for supply modifiers, dates outside a certain range might corrupt other game data, or worse perhaps even crash the game.
◦   Fixed the bug where edit failed to save A/I (aggressiveness) values.
◦   Fixed the Night Visible Hexes bug.
◦   Fixed the frontend Turns 0 bug.
◦   Fixed the phantom details button bug in the Damage Results dialog.
◦   Fixed several problems involving gliders.
◦   Fixed the edmap Elevation Max Height < 12 to 19 bug. For EF, WF & RS.
◦   Fixed the eforg Allied Bulgaria 'Unknown' nation bug.
◦   Fixed the edit window title bug.
◦   Fixed a bug involving potential crashes when selecting/deselecting Background Music or Background Sound.
◦   Fixed a bug where, for PBEM (and possibly also Hot Seat) play, Dynamic Day/Night & Visibility were inoperative.

•   Improvements

◦   The game engine now runs as a full-fledged, resizable, movable windowed application. Before now, the game engine was a fixed, immobile, full-screen application. (In future, the player will have the option to switch between the two game windowed/non-windowed (full-screen) modes.)
◦   Hot keys documented in-game in the Menu Bar options, also in the toolbar tooltips.
◦   Relocated and resequenced several of the Menu Bar options (in engine mainly, but also in edit, edmap & edorg).
◦   Variable Animation Speeds.
◦   Changed "slots" and/or "slot" designations for several nations: Australia, New Zealand, Communist Vietnam, Communist China, South Africa, Philippines.
◦   Merged the Campaign Series & Modern Wars codebases.
◦   Implemented File>New & File>Open in the game engine .exe.
◦   Added TEM & Morale modifiers to the unit Info Box display.
◦   Added new LayManyMines & Commando unit capabilities. (For now, ME & VN only.)
◦   Moved unit capability (graphical) display from the unit Info Box to (as text) the Unit Handbook.
◦   Variable highlight colors, available via the Options menu. Includes five new graphics .bmp files: StackHighlights1D.bmp, StackHighlights2D.bmp, BaseHighlights3D.bmp, BaseHighlights4D.bmp, BaseHighlights5D.bmp. Install them in the top-level game folder (alongside the game .exe's).
◦   New Continuous AI Play mode.
◦   New game engine toolbar.
◦   New Units menu options, and toolbar buttons, for: Banzai, Fire Smoke, Fire Starshell.
◦   New player-selectable A/I options: Aggressiveness, Audacious, Cautious, Shifting.
◦   New ai.ini AI configuration file.
◦   New Backup Saves option.
◦   New Test Trial Play mode.
◦   New -X NOENCRYPTION command-line option, permitting access to unencrypted data files (e.g., OOB instead of OBX) (for testing and solo play only, not for multiplayer).
◦   At the frontend Main Menu, selecting Edit Map takes you directly to the edmap EXE, bypassing the frontend Map Editor display (no more direct random map generation).
◦   The frontend Scenarios selection screen no longer displays Backup Saves versions.
◦   Reorganized the nation names & sides Msg strings.
◦   The screen-top main Menu is now fixed, and cannot be toggled off. Removed the Menu icon from the screen-bottom toolbar, and freed up the Ctrl-M hot key for other uses.
◦   With High Details in effect, the Damage Report dialog box now reports the firing side.
◦   Removed the Details/Delay toggle from the Damage Report. (One sets this in Options > Highlights.)
◦   With Extreme FOW in effect, High Details are unavailable.
◦   Removed several hard-coded numbers in edit, redoing them as macros instead (defined in misc.h).
◦   Added support for AlliedFinland & AlliedGermany.
◦   Added game-specific Results & Command dialog boxes.
◦   New feature: dynamic, designer specified day/night & visibility.
◦   Restored game-specific Damage Reports & Command Reports.
◦   For nations ID#s & Msg* strings, fixed many omissions, inconsistencies, and other faults.
◦   Implemented a flexible, full-featured logging facility, all EXEs (frontend.log, engine.log, edit.log, edmap.log, edorg.log, error.log, ai.log).
◦   Added a Redraw Display (Alt-D) menu selection (hot key), for fixing any graphics glitches and map display corruption.
◦   Added Jump Map (J) menu selection (& hot key) to edit & edmap.
◦   Like engine, edit & edmap now have all available hot keys annotated in the top-level menu, also in the status bar.
◦   Incorporated Warhorse's new terrain[12]d.bmp files, all regions. These support elevations from 0 to +19.
◦   Incorporated Warhorse's new Beach[12]d.bmp files. These show beaches in the proper sandy color.
◦   Coded in support for elevations > 12, also separate beach graphics.
◦   For all logging, added the option to show in-EXE message pop-ups indicating significant, noteworthy error conditions.
◦   Implemented a functioning in-game (for engine only) F1 General Help access of the CS Manual PDF file.
◦   On edorg launch, added a message box warning of data loading/processing delay.
◦   Redid the implementation of Variable Visibility (optional rule). (Note: Visibility varies only once per turn. The same Visibility applies throughout the turn, both sides, all phases.)
◦   In the engine, F2 now summons the EBOOK version of the game Manual (with table of contents), no longer the LIGHT version.
◦   Toned down some needlessly worrisome logging "errors".
◦   At the Status Bar, clarified use of the Unit Handbook icon.
◦   Due to a, for now, unfixable bug, retired Hot Seat Replay. Will be fixed and restored in future. (Standard & PBEM Replay remain intact.)
◦   Changed the WF window border & toolbar color to match the EF color. (Had been matching the tropical RS color.)
◦   Fine tuned the "duplicate ID" error messages in edorg.log.
◦   Further refined the error messages in edorg.log, adding file & line number where the error occurs.
◦   Improved (if not quite fixed) night shading in ZoomIn25 (3-key) map mode. Includes three new files: Gray3d.bmp, Gray4d.bmp, Gray5d.bmp.
◦   If a unit has no assigned Unit Handbook picture file, attempt to display any graphic defined in its bitmap3d field instead.

-budd-

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 21, 2014, 06:37:06 AM
Was any more content added to the series or was this just updates, fixes and improvements?

Follow up question.  Has there ever been any additional campaigns released for the game? (East/West Front)

Haven't dug into to it real deep but i did notice boonie rats 3 market garden scenerios were added.

jomni

Where to download?  The auto updater fails with version 1.04, and it downloads 1.04 when when used with a fresh 1.00 install.

Never mind, I found it here.
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/JohnTillerCampaignSeries/JohnTillerCampaignSeries-UpdateDR-v200.zip

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: -budd- on February 20, 2014, 01:57:24 PM
There is a modern war version they have been working on for awhile. As far as i know tiller had nothing to do with this or any future games to come. They have really done alot of work on this game, i haven't had a chance to get into it to deeply yet but it sure is nice to have hot keys for just about everything.

Any further information on this modern game you speak of?

Nefaro

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 23, 2014, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: -budd- on February 20, 2014, 01:57:24 PM

Any further information on this modern game you speak of?

I believe they're using the final half-finished Arab-Israeli Wars one of the series.  Divided Ground IIRC.  I actually bought that one long ago but it was so damn buggy it was a write-off at the time and was never properly finished. 

Been hoping these guys can work some magic with it.  Dunno if there's been any news or whether it's still in the works. *shrug*