Main Menu

DayZ Mod

Started by TheCommandTent, May 22, 2012, 08:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Has anyone played the DayZ Mod for ARMA II?  I recently acquired ARMA II and was considering installing this but I think I want to get through more of the base game first.

http://www.dayzmod.com/

It looks really cool but I know its still in Alpha and have heard that it is pretty buggy.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's a tonne of fun.  You'll learn to hate the night as they make it truly dark and the game does run on a true 24 hour cycle.  Yes, it's buggy and yes it's very unforgiving (death is permanent) but its just got so many cool features that you'll want to keep playing.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Panicky dudes make me howl.  I dunno how people can lose it this badly over a game.

Arctic Blast

Holy crap! Are all the zombies that fast?!

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 22, 2012, 07:50:47 PM
Panicky dudes make me howl.  I dunno how people can lose it this badly over a game.

+1

Remind me never to game with anyone who has a Kotaku gamer tag.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 23, 2012, 12:20:50 AM

I hope in-game zombie speed is adjustable. Otherwise I'd have no chance at survival since my reaction time makes even glaciers appear hasty...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 23, 2012, 05:55:12 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 23, 2012, 12:20:50 AM

I hope in-game zombie speed is adjustable. Otherwise I'd have no chance at survival since my reaction time makes even glaciers appear hasty...

Can't speak to the specifics, but multiplayer servers often offer various settings. I *suspect* that zombie speed will be one.

TheCommandTent

1.5.8 Patch was released for the game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/23/dayz-patch-1-5-8-adds-sickness-temperature-might-cause-havoc/

QuoteA major update for zombie apocalypse Arma II mod DayZ has launched, adding temperature and sickness systems and an array of under-the-hood updates and fixtures.

It's now possible to become ill, which will cause your blood to slowly deplete until you take antibiotics – which are purposefully scarce. It's not like bleeding in that you can't die of it, but expect players to murder each other for precious medicine. As the developers put it in the patch notes: "it is the genesis of an idea, so please remember this might cause havoc."
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 23, 2012, 08:18:09 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/23/dayz-patch-1-5-8-adds-sickness-temperature-might-cause-havoc/

QuoteA major update for zombie apocalypse Arma II mod DayZ has launched, adding temperature and sickness systems and an array of under-the-hood updates and fixtures.

It's now possible to become ill, which will cause your blood to slowly deplete until you take antibiotics – which are purposefully scarce. It's not like bleeding in that you can't die of it, but expect players to murder each other for precious medicine. As the developers put it in the patch notes: "it is the genesis of an idea, so please remember this might cause havoc."

<dislike>

I like coop games, not kill-your-buddy. This is looking like a no-go for me.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on May 23, 2012, 08:29:52 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 23, 2012, 08:18:09 PM

<dislike>

I like coop games, not kill-your-buddy. This is looking like a no-go for me.

It does seem like a very anti-social game unless you could somehow play online with your friends and form a group/pack of survivors who go around taking out other groups to survive.  I could see that being alot of fun.

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 23, 2012, 08:41:33 PM
It does seem like a very anti-social game unless you could somehow play online with your friends and form a group/pack of survivors who go around taking out other groups to survive.  I could see that being alot of fun.

Yeah, I'm not really looking for a Lord of the Flies game, even in a group setting.

Silent Disapproval Robot

But...but I just got the conch!

BTW has anyone seen my glasses?

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 23, 2012, 08:57:41 PM
But...but I just got the conch!

BTW has anyone seen my glasses?

I thought I saw them down below...no, over under that big rock. Yeah, they were there somewhere...