(FINISHED) King Grogspocalypse III: Wars of Religion [Dominions 5]

Started by al_infierno, January 20, 2021, 10:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on March 05, 2021, 05:15:16 AM
We did Early Age last game, didn't we?  I'd be down for Late Age if that's what you're suggesting, but I'm gonna get my ass kicked for sure.  :buck2:

I'm down for Late Age as well! Would like to try LA Phlegra. What do you guys think of that map? It is the best looking one I have seen so far!

Tanaka

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on March 05, 2021, 02:23:35 PM
I'm down for late age also.  For those unfamiliar, LA Lemuria is dogpile bait similar to MA Ermor/Sceleria.  LA R'lyeh is underwater popkill with aquatic freespawn that costs maintenance (...).  I won't say not to pick them, but want everyone to know what they're getting into if they do select one of those.

Everyone else is mostly fine, though as usual some nations are stronger and/or easier to play than others.  For example LA Ctis is the worst variant of Ctis, while LA Atlantis is easily its best iteration and one of the better nations in LA.  Also, if you're not yet familiar with communions, get ready.  Almost every nation in LA wants to make at least some use, either through astral or blood.

You would think Early Age would be more about communions since it is more about magic and LA is more about armor and warfare...

al_infierno

^ Part of the lore is that magic is better understood and more easily controlled in the later ages, though its power has dwindled relative to the early ages.

I haven't checked out the map, but I'd be down to try it out.  I'll need to look at the LA nations list to make a choice.  I'm tempted to try LA C'Tis but as TMNT pointed out it's not all that good compared to their earlier versions.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

^ That's my opinion, it might not be right of course.  Though it seems Lucid and quite a few others share it.

Their problem is that unlike something like Sceleria, they can't just recruit their reanimators, and their national magic is very limited other than death.  N1, E1, and the very rare F2 are your other paths.  If opponent can answer skeletons/banefire...what else do you have?

Contrast this with LA Pangaea, which is considered a middle of the pack nation in LA.  They can break into death later using nature (reverse is harder).  However, out the box they can cast high nature, earth, air, water, and astral magic without needing pretender/summons/indies whatsoever.  So while Ctis is constrained to horde of skeletons/rigor mortis/darkness/banefire...Pangaea can cast mass resistances, army of gold/lead, steal enemy units, put fog warriors/mass flight on everything, put mass regen/relief on everything, kill any SC without huge MR at tech 5 rather than 8, and later on pile out elementals.  They also get A2 and B3 from heroes.  Ctis gets...another D3 mage from heroes.

If you don't have high paths, you need to summon mages with high paths or use communions/sabbaths.  Even Ragha, which is widely regarded as dangerous mostly due to its expensive + powerful sacred units in heat scales, can still use blood to sabbath up and do not only big death, but also air/fire/blood itself.  And if they break into a cold province they can pick up astral/water as well. 

And yeah all ages have communions, but LA depends on them the most because for most nations base paths are lower.  LA definitely has better troops and stronger indies too.  In EA national mages can often hold a booster and just cast big spells.  In that regard LA C'tis is kind of like an EA nation, but not a particularly good one.  MA C'tis is best C'tis, but even if I had to play against LA nations, I'd rather have the EA version than LA.

Edit: We don't have nearly enough players for a > 200 province map right now.

solops

I am not up for a game right now. I did fire up Dom 5 just to play a bit and.... I have completely forgotten how to play. Apparently TW Attila, Civ4 and Shadow Empires have scrubbed my brain of all things Dom5. This is both embarrassing and frightening....
I am back to reading the beginners "How To" guides.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Myrmidon

I'd be up for a LA game.  I'll put in yet another plug for Dominions Enhanced Mod, as it fixes some of the inherent weaknesses of some nations, many of them in the LA. 

Count me in.  I'll pick a nation once we get an idea as to what's going on. 
Quote from: Tanaka on March 05, 2021, 05:41:40 PM
We did Early Age last game, didn't we?  I'd be down for Late Age if that's what you're suggesting, but I'm gonna get my ass kicked for sure.  :buck2:

I'm down for Late Age as well! Would like to try LA Phlegra. What do you guys think of that map? It is the best looking one I have seen so far!

The map does look incredible!

LA Phlegra is a great nation, but it's not for beginners.  There's a lot of complicated mechanics going on with it.  You can give it a go, just be sure to familiarize yourself with it first!

Tanaka

Quote from: Myrmidon on March 07, 2021, 10:43:45 AM
I'd be up for a LA game.  I'll put in yet another plug for Dominions Enhanced Mod, as it fixes some of the inherent weaknesses of some nations, many of them in the LA. 

Count me in.  I'll pick a nation once we get an idea as to what's going on. 
Quote from: Tanaka on March 05, 2021, 05:41:40 PM

The map does look incredible!

LA Phlegra is a great nation, but it's not for beginners.  There's a lot of complicated mechanics going on with it.  You can give it a go, just be sure to familiarize yourself with it first!

Yeah I've been practicing with them in single player on this beautiful map. Really enjoying it. Sounds like there are only four of us so far? Should we recruit for more on the main forum?

al_infierno

All right, let's give this one another honest go.  :buck2:

So looks like we'll be doing a Late Ages game.  If anyone else is interested in joining, please drop a line or send a PM.  We have four confirmed players so far and two "maybes".  I've decided to tentatively go with Pangaea, but I might change my pick before we lock all our choices in.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Ajidica

I'd be interested. Put me down for LA Man right now, though I need to look at the other LA options.

Myrmidon

Sign me up for sure.  Slap me down as LA Arco for now. 

TheMeInTeam

al_infierno

All right, we've got five people locked in and still waiting to hear from W8 if he wants to stay in.  I went ahead and messaged MetalDog to see if he wants in, too.

If any lurkers are reading this, feel free to throw your hat in the ring!  O0

- MengJiao

W8taminute

Hi guys,

Just noticed this update in my unread threads list.  I think I'll sit this one out as I'm a bit burnt out in the multiplayer scene.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

If we don't get more people we can always run another Biddyn game or something.