What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, July 28, 2014, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

UC, I looked up both games because I hadn't heard of either. Then saw this image on BGG, showing the maps for both games.

Does that look right? If so, holy crap.  :D

Ubercat

That's about the size of it. I wouldn't advise playing on the carpet unless you have exceptional knee power.  :D
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Tinkershuffle

The "boss" of our gaming club also owns them both but unfortunately we don't have enough room to set them up at the same time. It probably would have been the most epic gaming experience ever.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 03, 2014, 08:53:17 PM
UC, I looked up both games because I hadn't heard of either. Then saw this image on BGG, showing the maps for both games.

I did the same thing as I was not familiar with them either. So beside them visually being incredible how is the game play?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

You guys talk MMP into coming to Origins to be part of the Central Command next year, and we'll see about trying to get them to set up the double-map and let you guys fight it out
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ubercat

They come to WBC every year.  :P Why don't you guys stop by?  :)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

beacuse we don't get free space and a relatively wide range of latitude to organize our own events the way we do at Origins :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: Barthheart on September 03, 2014, 07:11:10 PM
Don't do it! Leave the poor defenceless counters in all their natural fuzziness.
Help stop the madness!  :tickedoff:

I agree.  It's been decades since counters needed clipping.  These days they mostly punch out cleanly, and the few stricken counters can be spruced up with glue or something.

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 04, 2014, 05:33:29 AM
I did the same thing as I was not familiar with them either. So beside them visually being incredible how is the game play?

Although it's a monster game it isn't rulewise as bad as it could be.There are a few details to remember but I think the overall gameplay is pretty fluid.

The gameplay is based on chit pulling that determines which division/fomation is activated. Every division has a different number of dispatch points, that you use to buy chits in the cup, and command points that are used for certain commands and special activations. Most of the units in the game are company sized and the hex size is 500 meters. Game turn is 2h (except night turn 12h) and it approximately takes 2h real time to complete one turn (in the campaign game).

Certain units like tanks and flaks units can hit you from several hexes away. That's why artillery plays a big role suppressing enemy units and creating LOS blocking barrages.There are no ZOCs, instead the term "fire zone" is used. Fire zones restrict movement and enable opportunity fire.

In GTS games combat results table isn't based on odds, instead you reduce the defender's defense factor, terrain effecst and range from the attacker's fire power. Then you try to  roll below that number. Let's say for example that american airborne company (fire power 4) shoots a german infatry (defense -1) in a clear (0) terrain hex. 4-1-0=3 so everything between 0-3 hits, the larger the number the  better the result for the attacker. There are also different tables for different types of weapons and armored/unarmored targets. Troop quality, column formations, suppression, improved positions etc. are also added to the mix.

The supply and in/out of command mechanics are quite simplistic. Allies have their supply drop zones and club route to draw supply from, germans need to control Arnhem bridge to be in supply. Both sides also have commanders that have command ranges. If your'e outside that range or can't fill the supply requirements you get -1 to your troop quality but basically your firepower and movement remain uneffected. I think the out of command/supply effects could a bit harsher.

There's a nice Where Eagles Dare Vassal DAR going on at http://gamesfromthefront.com/eagles-dare-campaign-game-session-4-shoring/ if you're interested. :)

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on September 04, 2014, 11:48:54 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 04, 2014, 05:33:29 AM

Although it's a monster game it isn't rulewise as bad as it could be.There are a few details to remember but I think the overall gameplay is pretty fluid.

The gameplay is based on chit pulling that determines which division/fomation is activated. Every division has a different number of dispatch points, that you use to buy chits in the cup, and command points that are used for certain commands and special activations. Most of the units in the game are company sized and the hex size is 500 meters. Game turn is 2h (except night turn 12h) and it approximately takes 2h real time to complete one turn (in the campaign game).

Certain units like tanks and flaks units can hit you from several hexes away. That's why artillery plays a big role suppressing enemy units and creating LOS blocking barrages.There are no ZOCs, instead the term "fire zone" is used. Fire zones restrict movement and enable opportunity fire.

In GTS games combat results table isn't based on odds, instead you reduce the defender's defense factor, terrain effecst and range from the attacker's fire power. Then you try to  roll below that number. Let's say for example that american airborne company (fire power 4) shoots a german infatry (defense -1) in a clear (0) terrain hex. 4-1-0=3 so everything between 0-3 hits, the larger the number the  better the result for the attacker. There are also different tables for different types of weapons and armored/unarmored targets. Troop quality, column formations, suppression, improved positions etc. are also added to the mix.

The supply and in/out of command mechanics are quite simplistic. Allies have their supply drop zones and club route to draw supply from, germans need to control Arnhem bridge to be in supply. Both sides also have commanders that have command ranges. If your'e outside that range or can't fill the supply requirements you get -1 to your troop quality but basically your firepower and movement remain uneffected. I think the out of command/supply effects could a bit harsher.

There's a nice Where Eagles Dare Vassal DAR going on at http://gamesfromthefront.com/eagles-dare-campaign-game-session-4-shoring/ if you're interested. :)

Thanks!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Pinetree

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 03, 2014, 08:53:17 PM

That was my reaction when I unfolded all the map sheets for DAK. Looks to be about the same size.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

calandale

GJK

Quote from: calandale on September 06, 2014, 09:37:55 PM
In the midst of Last Chance for Victory.

http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php?topic=554.0

Welcome to Grogheads!  I dig your video reviews.  The one that you did for "Carrier" is a classic.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

calandale

Cyrano

As previously advertised, the next time I make it the WC at Origins, Doug and I are going to play Eurofront II all week long...unless otherwise distracted...sleep will be for the degenerate and weak.

Currently trying to figure out where to set up the full-map (with expansion) of Battle for Normandy.  I just want to take a picture of the fool thing.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806