Fleet Commander: Nimitz Set-Up Board

Started by BanzaiCat, January 06, 2015, 12:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Also JD, to clarify: LBAs (Land-Based Aircraft) do NOT move via Transport; only Infantry does. LBA that 'invade' an Area start the turn on their respective Airfield space. Whether or not the LBA starts on the island or invades, it starts in its respective Airfield space.

JudgeDredd

Thanks for the very detailed assistance there BC - all makes sense except...this
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 21, 2015, 03:28:18 PM
Lastly - if there are 2 US AC, 1 jap inf and 4 jap AC, I roll for the area and say I am told to move 3 ships, 2 inf and 2 AC, is the jap inf allowed to move (because there is no US inf present)?
The reason I was asking is because I thought you couldn't move any forces from an area that were contested - and I was thinking as the US has 2 LBA there, then the place is contested and therefore the jap forces cannot move. I was asking this one because I wasn't sure - given there were no US inf units present on the area.

And I'm only using more than 1 move counter when I have a lone Jap inf in an area for example - that's one move counter. When they are "reinforced", then I'm using another one...otherwise if I take the one off the inf, I don't know I'm not meant to use that.

Don't worry - I'll figure that bit out.

Thanks again
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

To make it easier, just place a Moved counter on top of the Areas that only have the one Japanese Infantry or one Japanese LBA on it, before you do anything else. If you move other Jap units to that area, you can just stack 'em under that Moved counter. If there's infantry on transports, just put them next to the stack so they touch the Moved counters - that's what I do.

As for contested areas - yeah, it's just Jap infantry that have to remain in place. Ships and LBAs can move.

There's also a rule in there somewhere about, if you're moving units to a contested Area and there's no Japanese Infantry to move (and of course, the order calls for said infantry to move), then you draw Jap Battalions instead. I can't recall the specifics without the rules in front of me though, but it's something along those lines.

Glad to help. I do like the game. I think it's a bit of work to wrap your mind around it, but once you do, it's enjoyable.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 22, 2015, 05:43:44 PM
To make it easier, just place a Moved counter on top of the Areas that only have the one Japanese Infantry or one Japanese LBA on it, before you do anything else. If you move other Jap units to that area, you can just stack 'em under that Moved counter. If there's infantry on transports, just put them next to the stack so they touch the Moved counters - that's what I do.

As for contested areas - yeah, it's just Jap infantry that have to remain in place. Ships and LBAs can move.

There's also a rule in there somewhere about, if you're moving units to a contested Area and there's no Japanese Infantry to move (and of course, the order calls for said infantry to move), then you draw Jap Battalions instead. I can't recall the specifics without the rules in front of me though, but it's something along those lines.

Glad to help. I do like the game. I think it's a bit of work to wrap your mind around it, but once you do, it's enjoyable.
That is correct

The rules aren't difficult - it's just that there's some wiggle room as to the exact implementation of some of them.

And I don't like running out of counters...it makes me twitchy!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Battalions...when they are "hit" their hit side has a value of 0. I thought 0 was treated as high?

Is a battalion that is hit removed or does the 0 mean something? I am presuming I can't roll - which kind of makes me think they shouldn't be on the island.

Infantry combat says to roll the value or lower on the inf unit...but if a battalion is at 0, either 0 is low, or I can't roll for them as they have no combat value.

I can't find anything in the manual or online to clarify this...all I know is the manual says to use the 0 as 10 on the dice...which kind of makes it impossible to roll a 0??  ???
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 25, 2015, 05:22:56 PM
Battalions...when they are "hit" their hit side has a value of 0. I thought 0 was treated as high?

My understanding is, 0 is treated as zero. So in combat, I think you damage units from lowest to highest. Battalions at zero level will be the first to go.

Quote from: JudgeDreddIs a battalion that is hit removed or does the 0 mean something? I am presuming I can't roll - which kind of makes me think they shouldn't be on the island.

For combat proper, my understanding is that zero strength Battalions cannot hurt anything. A '0' on the die represents a 10, I think, so rolling a zero is impossible, therefore, Battalions do not actually roll to defend, but they have to be destroyed in order to remove them from the map and claim victory.

Realistically, the idea of a single Battalion standing up to a full enemy Division is laughable, but possible. It's entirely possible to not hit a Japanese Battalion in combat, and even though it cannot fire back to hurt anything, it will remain in the way if combat ends, and the Area will remain contested (and if an Area with an Objective is contested, it is flipped to the red side, meaning you do not get control of it).

Quote from: JudgeDreddInfantry combat says to roll the value or lower on the inf unit...but if a battalion is at 0, either 0 is low, or I can't roll for them as they have no combat value.

Exactly. You cannot roll for them.

Quote from: JudgeDreddI can't find anything in the manual or online to clarify this...all I know is the manual says to use the 0 as 10 on the dice...which kind of makes it impossible to roll a 0??  ???

Yep, 0 means 10 on the die, so as I said, it's impossible to roll a zero or less. I don't think there's die roll modifiers that could lower a roll of '1' to '0' so I just treat Battalions as I describe above.

JudgeDredd

Cool - thanks.

That makes sense - battalions not being able to engage but still remaining - kind of like they aren't significant in manpower to do any damage, but like having a partisan effect.

I was just a bit confused..>I was wondering why I couldn't remove them. But as long as I know they can't fight - it's good.
Alba gu' brath