B-17 Queen of the Skies (Discussion Thread) (Game On)

Started by BanzaiCat, March 14, 2015, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Left a bit

Right a bit

Back a bit

Big ass b17 pulls up outside bar

mirth

Think of it as just another type of bombing mission.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

BanzaiCat

mirth

BanzaiCat

BanzaiCat

BanzaiCat

It was nice to be able to play this after so many years. Though it's a lot stiffer than I remember - very linear, 'roll here, then roll here, then roll here, and voila you're dead' or something similar. But, the tension in the die rolls is pretty awesome, since you never know what's going to come up. A perfect game for random chance, actually. It was a little awkward playing it, too, since it had been so long and I had to keep referring to the rules, but I think I've got the hang of it again.

I had brought Kido Butai (still need to do a review of that one) and In Magnificent Style with me too, but I didn't get to them - only got the one game of B-17 in. But more will come.

BanzaiCat

I'm actually thinking now of backtracking...I had done a bit of research on this game's numerous variants on BGG and found several decent ones, but they seemed to make the game more insanely difficult, some of them.

There's one, though, that I kept checking out...Beery's Historical B-17 module. In it, he stipulates that the game pretty much takes raids like the disastrous one at Schweinfurt and uses it as a baseline for the entire experience, making it much more murderous and difficult to get through unscathed.

He also adds dates to the game, giving you a start date and days between missions. This means our career could go into the later war years and we might encounter other enemy planes, including Me-262s. He does various changes to the charts and tables, too, and adds some varied lite-RPG elements to it. All things I'd like to add to the game, after my first playthrough in so long and seeing that it could use some of the chrome other players have built for it.