Choose My Next AAR

Started by BanzaiCat, May 27, 2015, 07:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I'd like your help in determining the next AAR I do. I'm good with any of these and can't decide, so your input would be great.

Once my Ottoman Sunset AAR is completed, I intend to move on to both B-17 and the B-29 Hell Over Korea AARs. (My BotF AAR will be ongoing as well, but that's a PC game, not a tabletop game.) However, I want to have another one ongoing as well.

For any of these, I will try to continue creating graphics to illustrate the game for the readers out there. That is, if I can find them. Most of these games I have not punched yet, so I can scan them as images if I need to do that.

Cruel Necessity (VPG): I've been wanting to play this game for a while, but just haven't had time to do so. A great-looking game simulating the English Civil War. This would be a long one as the game is fairly large; I'll have to move things around on my side table to see if I can accommodate it.

In Magnificent Style (VPG): This one simulates Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. This one might be pretty quick as it has a small footprint and plays fast.

Astra Titanus (VPG): This is a game where a small fleet tries to stop the advance of a gigantic mega-starship bent on destroying everything in its path. It's pretty much Ogre in space, but I never played Ogre; I've only heard of it. I've not played it yet but I don't think games take that long.

Swing States 2012 (VPG): A game where you run a candidate for President, and the game system handles the other candidate as well as game events. This is a really fun game, and I believe it has rules allowing you to build your own candidates. I thought I'd try creating Presidential candidates from forum members (and your input), or just one Presidential candidate against a historical figure, and see what happens. This might be a better game to play out closer to next year's Presidential election, but at least you're aware of it now. With reader input, this might be a medium-to-long AAR.

Hapsburg Eclipse (VPG): Another State of Siege title from VPG, in a similar vein as Ottoman Sunset. This one deals with the Austria-Hungary Empire instead of the Ottoman Empire. There are rules in Hapsburg Eclipse allowing the merging of both this game and Ottoman Empire, but that's not something I'm prepared to do, at least not yet. This would be as long as my Ottoman Sunset AAR most likely, depending on my luck (with Ottoman Sunset, it's relatively long).

Shadows of Brimstone (Flying Frog): A co-op game for one to four players (at least, for this 'base' version I own, sans expansions) where a small Old West party goes into a mine where horrors are said to lurk. This one I've had since Christmas last year and really want to break it out. While it can be played solitaire, it is also played cooperatively with more than one player. I might be able to get another person in on a game of this. This one has a VERY large footprint on a table, so I might have to play, record info, break it down and store it, then break it out and assemble it again, and rinse/repeat as necessary. This one might be a long one.

Hornet Leader (DVG): A game where the player is the commander of a modern carrier squadron. I will use forum members' handles to populate my pilot roster. I think I'm going to do the North Atlantic World War III scenario, which is mid-80s, so there will be A-6 Intruders and F-14 Tomcats. Depending on the length of the campaign I choose, this could be short or long. Plus I probably suck at this game so most forum members stepping into a cockpit here will likely be obliterated – but at least we'll have fun!

Barthheart

Dawn's Early Light. Scenario 1.  8)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on May 27, 2015, 08:01:33 AM
Dawn's Early Light. Scenario 1.  8)

I have the game, but I haven't even touched it yet other than opening the box and perusing the contents. I might do one on this eventually but I have other things I want to get to first, if possible.  8)

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 27, 2015, 08:13:19 AM
Finish BOTF!

I am working on it.  :-* I will have five or six more episodes to you by the weekend. Along with the review I told you about.

Airborne Rifles

More collapsing WWI empires!

BanzaiCat

55 views and only 6 votes? Really?  :D

Emeraldlis

Cruel necessity please , I looked , I came , I voted , but I'm still saying English civil war !!  😝
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

120 views and 7 votes :P  I voted for the Hapsburg thingy.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Emeraldlis

Ah , come on now , somebody  agree with me please !! Don't ya'll wanna know about the Roundheads and the cavaliers ??? 😁

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

Barthheart

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 07:16:38 PM

Ah , come on now , somebody  agree with me please !! Don't ya'll wanna know about the Roundheads and the cavaliers ??? 😁

Ha! Roundheads! I've not heard that term since a beautiful French girl called me that in university.  :D

Welcome to the forums.  O0

bayonetbrant

he'll get to them all eventually.

well, he'd better ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I'll move forward with whichever one y'all choose once the Ottoman Sunset one is complete...so technically there is no hurry.

And yes, Brant, I might get to all of them eventually. Provided there isn't an-SQUIRREL!

Since Star Wars Imperial Assault arrived today, I was thinking of adding that to the mix, but I think I'll hold off.  :uglystupid2:

bayonetbrant

I'm seeing the line at 68 hours. Who wants the over? Who wants the under?

Emeraldlis

Did someone say "Star Wars " !!  "Vote for it I would " ...I wouldn't want to give you a melt down though by asking you to add it to the list ;)

I've nearly read to the end of your ottoman game play BC , and what are the odds of a one being rolled sooooo many times !! Someone out there will know the maths on that undoubtedly , ha !

Whichever game gets chosen for your next AAR , I'm certain you'll keep us all highly entertained :)