1st World Board Gaming Problems...

Started by Bison, July 13, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 09:54:15 PM
The base set comes with 238 or so cards, so I picked up 300 penny sleeves to do the deed.  It's something I've been meaning to do for a few years now.

Have you tried the Game of Thrones LCG? If so, how do you like it? I bought 2 base sets, all the house sets, and 2-3 complete cycles but have no one to play with. It's definitely the most complex of all the LCG's.

I also have the base sets for Cthulhu, Netrunner, LotR, and Warhammer. Haven't bought 40K yet and have no interest in Star Wars.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

MetalDog

I grew up playing all sorts of cards.  MtG is just another form.  So it's bend'em high and shuffle eight or ten times.  And no card protectors.  They just get in the way.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Quote from: Ubercat on July 13, 2015, 11:05:04 PM
The base set comes with 238 or so cards, so I picked up 300 penny sleeves to do the deed.  It's something I've been meaning to do for a few years now.

Have you tried the Game of Thrones LCG? If so, how do you like it? I bought 2 base sets, all the house sets, and 2-3 complete cycles but have no one to play with. It's definitely the most complex of all the LCG's.

I also have the base sets for Cthulhu, Netrunner, LotR, and Warhammer. Haven't bought 40K yet and have no interest in Star Wars.

Star Wars was supposedly terrible.  LotR, too.  Netrunner was supposed to be really good.  Not sure about Cthulu or Warhammer.  A GoT game might be pretty fun.  Would have to play a lot of people though.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

Quote from: panzerde on July 13, 2015, 09:20:29 PM
It's true, particularly since he still has young kids. He will have to be stealthy.

I suggest threatening to set up a workbench and power tools in the garage. Claim you're thinking about getting into woodworking. You feel you may need a lathe.

Perfect.

A diversionary op while he places his main thrust where it matters most.

Errr....don't read that the wrong way and succeed in getting another set in twins in nine months, Bison!  :coolsmiley:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: Ubercat on July 13, 2015, 11:05:04 PM

No I haven't played Game of Thrones yet.  The next LCG games on my list for future purchasing are some LotR expansions and Legendary: Marvel base set.   

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on July 13, 2015, 11:07:14 PM
Star Wars was supposedly terrible.  LotR, too.  Netrunner was supposed to be really good.  Not sure about Cthulu or Warhammer.  A GoT game might be pretty fun.  Would have to play a lot of people though.

I really enjoy LotR.  It plays very well as a solo game or as co-op IMHO.  In fact I just finished a game after I sleeved the cards of course. 

Nefaro

I only tend to sleeve cards that aren't cut well.

In other words, the ones that are slightly uneven and tend to bunch up when giving them a proper poker shuffle.  Drives me absolutely nuts when cards in a single deck aren't the exact same size.   :knuppel2:   Even putting them in penny sleeves is preferable although I prefer not to use sleeves at all if the bad card cuts aren't an issue.

Edit:  Unfortunately, almost half the games I own have poorly cut cards.  They also tend to be the ones that have many of them.  I suspect there were so many card sheets that multiple card printing lines were running them, using slightly off measurements or alignments.  Those also tend to run mixed decks through each, so even when you have four decks in a game (for example), you still have three different sizes of cards in each.   >:(

Toonces

This thread is entirely prescient.  I have a similar problem, in that I have an unused area between my futon couch/bed/55" TV, and my Obutto gaming cockpit that would work well for a gaming table/work desk.  So I'm looking for options.  You all have given me some very useful multipurpose ideas.   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2015, 10:24:04 PM
OK, so you probably just need this one instead
http://geekchichq.com/dropship-gaming-tables.html

Hadn't visited their site in a couple of months. Yes, that's an awesome addition.

Bison (et al), don't let the price put you off without at least a moment's consideration. Their stuff is pricey, but it is ROCK FUCKING SOLID. No joke. Those tables will outlive you and probably a couple generations of offspring.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GJK

I'll have some pictures to finally add to my wargaming table project thread here pretty soon.  I had to set aside the project while we moved in to our new house but now that the mancave woodworking garage area is set up and functioning, I've been able to resume.  This table will feature a tabletop that can lift on one side like a grand piano if you want to play underneath in that way or the top can easily be removed altogether.  This will be a table for those with foreign enemies that will likely destroy any game that is left unattended for any length of time; i.e., cats, kids and crazies.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

I went the inexpensive route and purchased a big heavy 4ft x 6.5ft table and a pair of 36" x 36" black game mats (think of thin but massive cloth-top mouse pad) to roll out on it when needed.   

Some of the heavier duty fold-out TV trays also help since they can be placed halfway under the table or pulled all the way out.  Good for holding manuals, drinks, dice tray, or whatever else doesn't need to be on the table at any moment.  There are some wooden ones with a recessed top that helps keep extra dice, pencils, etc from rolling off.

Buying it all, new, ended up at around $750.  Including four matching chairs for the table.  The downstairs game room still needs work done but it's quite functional now, with that beast.

GJK

The Nefaro mansion with his 4.5x6' "cheap" $750 table dedicated solely to gaming.  This is just the downstairs table; the upstairs one is yet to come.  :o
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on July 15, 2015, 06:18:00 AM
The Nefaro mansion with his 4.5x6' "cheap" $750 table dedicated solely to gaming.  This is just the downstairs table; the upstairs one is yet to come.  :o

LOL!  Well... that table will likely become the kitchen table once I sell this house and move so it's not all clear sailing.  ;D