GMT Wing Leader

Started by danjay, July 14, 2015, 02:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

And in case they are headed to the Russian front . . .

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Double Deuce

Finally got to the point of throwing together some Polish PZL P.7 and PZL P.11 counters. One thing I did notice is I think the sky is too blue/dark so I'll have to try and lighten it up next time around.  I also have some very 'draft' ADC information worked up but I need to do a lot deeper research. I think I'm going to need to do earlier war Soviets than the current game includes unless I stick with just Poland vs Germany.

Once I get my copy and have some hands on experience I think I'm going to try creating some scenarios.

Double Deuce

If there are any early eastern front air historians on here, any ideas of the most common Soviet planes that were likely used over Poland in '39'. There are none int he base WL game so I'm going to make may own for playtesting purposes.

Silent Disapproval Robot

There was a Polish guy over at the 12oclockhigh.net forums who did a couple of detailed OOBs on the Soviets during the Polish campaign but I can't seem to find it now.  At any rate, I recall someone saying that the most common were the I-16, the I-15bis, and the DI-6.

I did a bit of digging and it looks like there was a bit of a drama with Poles, Germans, and Russians all accusing one another of bias and slander and, as a result, a bunch of posts got deleted. 

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=2508

I'm not sure if the guy who had the OOBs had his posts deleted or if he took them down himself but he's now just referring people to some Polish language magazines that have his articles in them.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=12280

Barthheart

Quote from: Double Deuce on August 01, 2015, 12:27:26 AM
Finally got to the point of throwing together some Polish PZL P.7 and PZL P.11 counters. One thing I did notice is I think the sky is too blue/dark so I'll have to try and lighten it up next time around.  I also have some very 'draft' ADC information worked up but I need to do a lot deeper research. I think I'm going to need to do earlier war Soviets than the current game includes unless I stick with just Poland vs Germany.

Once I get my copy and have some hands on experience I think I'm going to try creating some scenarios.

These look great. Just got my copy yesterday and am punching and reading as fast as I can to start playing. Looking forward to what else you can come up with. O0

Double Deuce

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 02, 2015, 12:45:11 PM
There was a Polish guy over at the 12oclockhigh.net forums who did a couple of detailed OOBs on the Soviets during the Polish campaign but I can't seem to find it now.  At any rate, I recall someone saying that the most common were the I-16, the I-15bis, and the DI-6.

Thanks SDR, I'll have to dig around over there and see what I can find.

Double Deuce

Hmm, hope I'm not gonna have to wait too long. My copy ordered from The Gamer's Armory is still waiting to be received by them and then shipped on to me.  :'(

Barthheart

Ok, this game is fun! Seems simple and rules are fairly easy to absorb but there is some nice hidden depth here. So far have just played the first 2 scenarios twice each solo. The first 3 scenarios are nicely setup to easy you into all the rules. Can't wait to try some of the bigger ones with the advanced rules.  O0

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on August 03, 2015, 03:09:29 PM
Ok, this game is fun! Seems simple and rules are fairly easy to absorb but there is some nice hidden depth here. So far have just played the first 2 scenarios twice each solo. The first 3 scenarios are nicely setup to easy you into all the rules. Can't wait to try some of the bigger ones with the advanced rules.  O0

You guys are sorely tempting me with this.

I also like the idea of magnetizing it and putting it on a wall. I don't have cats, but the visual effect would be enhanced.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

It's killing me that I don't have my copy yet!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Double Deuce

Well, because my copy is not here, I'm still tinkering with custom units. I changed the sky background to better match the actual counters (based on the VASSAL Module).

The top one is the newer light blue sky version, on the bottom my original 'darker' blue sky (the darker ones print out alot darker than I liked).

MengJiao

Quote from: danjay on July 25, 2015, 06:45:16 PM
1) Long term replay ability. Well with what is in the box 23 Scenarios, 2 more as printables. After that scenarios are heading to the next C3i with more aircraft counters. Once done with those I can definitely see player created scenarios and beyond that DYO (not a specific system just read a story and try it)
2) Narrative dripping in story and those moments you can see in your minds eye almost movie like scenes.

To clarify I am not a fan boy but it is rare that I find a game that grabs me this quick. The only other systems that have done this to me have been Combat Commander and Musket and Pike Series.
Dan

I like most games, but this one seems a cut above the average.  It has a lot of fun elements (easy to set up, easy to see what is happening), but also some fairly wild and slightly complicated moments.  It looks like many of the scenarios could be varied slightly to bring out different aspects of events (such as how to intercept divebombers).

Double Deuce

And yes, the #2 and Polish insignia are backwards/reversed because I just flipped the images for the right facing counters without editing anything to get an idea how they would look.

Double Deuce

Ok, I fixed the reversed insignia/lettering issues.