Collins Epic Spearpoint '43 East Front review on BGG

Started by bayonetbrant, September 22, 2015, 08:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1434152/spearpoint-1943-eastern-front-thoughts-and-review

QuoteFirst off, this is my first review and I hope that I can do some kind of justice here for the game. I am new to the Spearpoint 1943 line of games, however I have found it to be a very fun yet simple design. The gameplay is very smooth and can be fast paced leading to quick games, which is basically what the game is about.

Understanding the basic game mechanics is fairly simple and can be picked up quite fast. There are going to be times where you may find yourself in a position of not quite understanding/interpreting a game card (whether it's a Command card, or a Damage Card)... if this happens, you can rest assured that Byron (the game designer/publisher) or other experienced players will be available here at BGG to help you out.

This game plays great by itself, however, you may want to look into purchasing the Village and Defensive Line Map Expansion which really brings out the game. It adds terrain and LOS into the game and makes it that much more involved and intense. From what I have heard, this is NOT the last of the series and we should be looking forward to a western front "1944" version to come out possibly involving the D-Day landings, which will be fantastic to have go at later war battles with latter war equipment... oh the possibilities..!

The base game comes with 12 scenarios including a 6 scenario "Kursk" mini campaign (which is a lot of fun). My first go round, the Germans won Kursk 4 games to 2, all pretty close games. With the game also comes 10 "Event" cards. Some scenarios will call for specific ones to be shuffled into the Command Card Deck. These cards add extra flavor to the battlefield and can really make a difference at times. These can also be used at your discretion whenever playing standard points-based games. Upon completing all of the scenarios I found myself wanting play a bit more. So, I started converting the Expansion Terrain Scenarios to conform to the Eastern Front set. I simply did my best to substitute in Soviet players and equipment instead of US. This was a lot of fun as well. There are different command cards in the Eastern Front Expansion so there was some tweaking involved, but, you could always (if you own it) use the original Spearpoint 1943Command Card Deck.

more at the link
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers