Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on June 06, 2016, 01:06:42 PM
I'm getting upset at these big games coming out with NO manual. Stellaris and not HOI IV. If I buy from someone else besides steam, is there a manual

Edit: found the wiki and, from what I gather, the Manual may come out 3-4 weeks after release? I really hate that. I love manuals and hoped companies would go the way of Matrix in creating a huge hard-bound manual (for extra $) for big releases

Anyway, wiki:

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Hearts_of_Iron_4_Wiki
Agreed about the big bound manual for big games. I'd love some reading material to go with this.

Having said that - I wonder how "relevant" the World in Flames manuals are to the game that is now out?

Thanks for the link.
Alba gu' brath

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on June 06, 2016, 10:54:10 AM

Agreed except for his harsh criticism of the naval invasion process...doesn't bode well for the USA war with Japan in the Pacific.  He calls the naval invasion piece "borderline abominable".

The reviewer missed the point. Amphib ops don't leave port immediately. You must mouse-over the invasion arrow for the amphib invasion and it tells you how many days the force must prepare for before they embark. Also, you must have naval superiority in the area. Full details how it works here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRkkqv6B7I8

ArizonaTank

I am interested finding out how the strategic AI is. 

HOI III had good operational level AI. 

But the strategic level AI had some real brain dead moments.  Like the Brits sending every last soldier down to defend against a German invasion of Spain...leaving Britain wide open for attack.  Or the Soviet AI not defending the border with Turkey when Turkey joins the Axis. 

Hopefully this kind of stuff is fixed....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on June 06, 2016, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 06, 2016, 10:54:10 AM

Agreed except for his harsh criticism of the naval invasion process...doesn't bode well for the USA war with Japan in the Pacific.  He calls the naval invasion piece "borderline abominable".

The reviewer missed the point. Amphib ops don't leave port immediately. You must mouse-over the invasion arrow for the amphib invasion and it tells you how many days the force must prepare for before they embark. Also, you must have naval superiority in the area. Full details how it works here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRkkqv6B7I8

Thanks for the link IC.....!

Grim.Reaper

It has already won me over...the fastest loading Paradox game ever for me:)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Got about 4 hours into it so far.  I'm still in the learning/frustration phase of things at this point but it's just not grabbing me the way I'd hoped.  I came to HOI3 very late so it was already well fleshed out with DLC and had a lot of the rough edges taken off.   HOI4 feels a little to bare bones at the moment and I feel like I'm spending a lot of time hunting for info (where are the post battle reports?) or fighting the interface  (why does the battle planner AI insist on marching all my divisions into a single province along the French/Belgian border when I drew what is meant to be a defensive front line and I want broad coverage?).

I'll keep plugging away at it but I think I may just shelve it for now and come back once it's been fixed up.

acctingman

I've never played any HoI game (except Darkest Hour for an hour, but I wasn't very patient).

Reading the Paradox forums I see a lot of comments from HoI vets saying it's way too easy,"dumbed down" and the AI sucks...etc, etc...

I'm gathering their forums are going to be a little more toxic (it's my opinion from the little time I've spent there), but it's making me wonder if I should hold off on the game.

I'll just sit back and watch this thread a little longer as I find this forums posters full of nothing but well thought out impressions/reviews, etc...

Maybe if it's dumbed down it might be a little easier for a novice such as myself.

Rayfer

OK...basic but perhaps stupid question. How do I turn on the mini-map for quick movement around the world? I am assuming there is one!!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I haven't been able to find one either.  I'm also hoping there's a single screen option out there somewhere that gives you breakdowns for alliances/relationships/etc so you can do stuff like arrange embargoes and whatnot.  I don't think there is one.  I haven't seen any option for exports or money.  Not sure how that'll affect things like submarine warfare.  Hope they add espionage in a DLC as well. I'm missing that aspect.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on June 06, 2016, 06:26:46 PM
OK...basic but perhaps stupid question. How do I turn on the mini-map for quick movement around the world? I am assuming there is one!!

Don't believe it exists

jomni

Hmm. Based your comments, there are lots of missing pieces.

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 06, 2016, 06:53:43 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 06, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Don't believe it exists

That's a head-scratcher of an omission for a game that covers the entire planet.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2016, 07:36:09 PM
Hmm. Based your comments, there are lots of missing pieces.

Seems that way.  I put a bit of time into it, but I'm not liking what I see so far. The feel I'm getting is more like early HoI1 than a game with lessons learned from HoI3. 

On the fence about pushing forward and considering a Steam return.  I'm sure that a lot of things will be changed in the future by an almost never ending stream of mini-DLC packs, ala EU 4.  I'm not certain I am going to sign on for the long haul on that.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Besides the missing Minimap, what specifically are all these other missing pieces?

dinsdale

Quote from: acctingman on June 06, 2016, 06:23:09 PM
I've never played any HoI game (except Darkest Hour for an hour, but I wasn't very patient).

Reading the Paradox forums I see a lot of comments from HoI vets saying it's way too easy,"dumbed down" and the AI sucks...etc, etc...

I'm gathering their forums are going to be a little more toxic (it's my opinion from the little time I've spent there), but it's making me wonder if I should hold off on the game.

I'll just sit back and watch this thread a little longer as I find this forums posters full of nothing but well thought out impressions/reviews, etc...

Maybe if it's dumbed down it might be a little easier for a novice such as myself.
I dont have the game, but I would recommend you ignore the Paradox forums. There are loads of great people there, but there's always an outcry whenever a game is released, then numerous factions bickering with each other in every discussion. It used to be more civil (or maybe Im just nostalgic) but the divided opinion and religious devotion to its great vs it sucks has been this way since EU1.