Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on June 11, 2016, 06:51:25 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2016, 06:22:48 AM
What I always wonder about all this "non-historical" results is under what conditions are they achieved....personally, I haven't really seen these but certainly not saying they don't happen to some people...

But...

1)  What difficulty are they playing on?
2)  Do they have the historical focus turned on?
3)  Any chance they modded any of the data to give them an advantage?
4)  Have they found some exploit they are taken advantage of?

Sometimes I feel people try to setup/play the game in a way that brings these situations into play just so they can show everyone what they did...not saying everyone.  I am also not saying you  should "have to play" the game in a certain way to help the AI/game, but seems some folks go out of their way in an extreme way to make it happen so they can say the game is broken.  The historical vs non-historical question is always interesting......I always tend to be in the camp "anything is possible" based on chain of events and what may happen during the game, especially if you choose an earlier start date...who knows what allies you can pick up, who knows what kind of production genius you can turn out to be, who knows what kind of luck you might have, etc.  Certainly I don't want to see anything extremely crazy myself, unless there is a well thought out logical reason why it was achieved, even if unlikely, but at the same time I am not just looking to see WWII unfold again.

GR...I would add:  5) are they playing a major power or a minor country. Minors don't have their own specific focus choices and from what I've seen playing them tends to lead to the strange non-historical outcomes.

That is possible too....although if that is the case, hate to limit anyone from not playing those countries (since available) so hopefully some game adjustments can be made for those situations.  I am sure some of the more popular countries will get specific focus through future DLC.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on June 10, 2016, 10:27:19 PM
What version shall I buy?

Comes down to matter of preference....if you want some of the extra sprites, then Colonel edition....if you want the extra sprites plus the first two expansions, then field marshal.  Otherwise, Cadet version would be just fine...which is the actual version I went with myself.  I am sure I'll pick up the extra stuff later, if they make it available...

OJsDad

In HOI3, aren't there limitations on when you can declare ware.  This seems to be a restraint on when and how often you could invade other countries.  It also made it harder for minor countries to invade neighbors early.  Is that still in effect for HOI4.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: OJsDad on June 11, 2016, 08:44:50 AM
In HOI3, aren't there limitations on when you can declare ware.  This seems to be a restraint on when and how often you could invade other countries.  It also made it harder for minor countries to invade neighbors early.  Is that still in effect for HOI4.

yes, you have to have reason for war before you can declare.

Hofstadter

Quote from: OJsDad on June 11, 2016, 08:44:50 AM

If you are a fascist or communist country you can forge a war goal and go from there, but world tension has to be at a specific level.

If you are the others you get a more isolationist approach to war, such as defensive or helping an ally. If you are a major power you can sometimes follow a national focus to get a wargoal. For instance if you play as the uk you can take belgium before the axis do and make it a puppet state, but you have to follow a certain tree line
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Rayfer

Air Groups.....I have some naval bombers and fighters in Hawaii but I can't figure out how to do anything with them, i.e. set cap, patrol the surrounding zones?  IanC....where are you when I need you...!

acctingman

Quote from: Rayfer on June 11, 2016, 09:44:19 AM
Air Groups.....I have some naval bombers and fighters in Hawaii but I can't figure out how to do anything with them, i.e. set cap, patrol the surrounding zones?  IanC....where are you when I need you...!

He'a too busy playing and/or making another video  ;)

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on June 11, 2016, 09:44:19 AM

These also might help :

Rayfer

Thanks PD....got the answers I was looking for.  Anyone who doubts the 'depth' of the game should watch the second video, it's about 9 mins. long but worth it.  I now understand the earlier criticisms about this game lacking a manual....it really needs one.

Ps. That first video is excellent as well for anyone wanting to understand the air war piece of this game.

IronX

Totally agree. Paradox really dropped the ball when they omitted to include a manual in a complex game.

I was well into the Italian tutorial campaign wondering why I was getting messages saying my pilots were just sitting in their lawn chairs drinking espresso. There  is nothing in the so-called wiki that talks about how you conduct air operations. Thank goodness for YouTube and Grogheads contributors.

RyanE

Frankly, I don't think a traditional manual would help much.  I watched the two hour tutorial video and that was probably better than any manual.  When you start getting into really complex games like this or Command, I would rather have an encyclopedia that lets me look up specific functions and buttons.  Too many times half the manual is taken up with useless background info and fluff.  Just give me an index and a definition of buttons.  Add a detailed video and I am done.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think a manual for Pdox games would be of limited utility as they tend to go through a lot of changes with the release of each patch or DLC addition.

I remember trying to learn HOI III.  I came to it very late in the day when all the DLC had already been released.  This led to a lot of confusion as there were a lot of "how to" guides and videos out there (both offical and 3rd party) and a lot of them were released earlier in the game's development cycle and much of the information presented in them was no longer correct.

Having said that, HOI IV definitely needs more tutorials or an updatable, context sensitive help system so that you could click on a button and be taken to a series of documents and videos that explain in detail all the functionality and options available for the subsystem you're looking at.

IronX

Quote from: RyanE on June 11, 2016, 11:32:23 AM
Frankly, I don't think a traditional manual would help much.  I watched the two hour tutorial video and that was probably better than any manual.  When you start getting into really complex games like this or Command, I would rather have an encyclopedia that lets me look up specific functions and buttons.  Too many times half the manual is taken up with useless background info and fluff.  Just give me an index and a definition of buttons.  Add a detailed video and I am done.

Nah, I disagree. I would rather look up the index of a manual and find instantly that on page 64 I can read how to conduct air ops rather than searching for a video and then sitting through and hour or more of it to work out the same thing. Having said that, given the lack of a manual and an incomplete wiki, videos are the next best thing.

If a manual is out of date when the game is published (there is no reason why it should be) update it and release it with the next patch.

Rayfer

Quote from: IronX on June 11, 2016, 11:43:11 AM
Quote from: RyanE on June 11, 2016, 11:32:23 AM

Nah, I disagree. I would rather look up the index of a manual and find instantly that on page 64 I can read how to conduct air ops rather than searching for a video and then sitting through and hour or more of it to work out the same thing. Having said that, given the lack of a manual and an incomplete wiki, videos are the next best thing.

If a manual is out of date when the game is published (there is no reason why it should be) update it and release it with the next patch.

+1 The WitP:AE manual is like that...I never read it cover to cover but use it frequently to look up a specific item from the index.

RyanE

Does no one actually read entire posts here?