Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

Okay, here's a question about factories. What limits me from building military factories, other than the number of slots available? I see in the wiki it costs 3600. But 3600 of what?

Now I see that civilian factories are needed to build military factories. But again, other than filling up available factory slots, is there any limitation to maxing out the number of military factories asap?

Rayfer

Quote from: RyanE on June 11, 2016, 12:14:23 PM
Does no one actually read entire posts here?

LOL...oops, admittedly I missed your next to the last sentence.

OJsDad

Quote from: RyanE on June 11, 2016, 12:14:23 PM
Does no one actually read entire posts here?

That's what YouTube is for. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Today, I decided to just take ownership of a small country and sit back to see how the world unfolded....one thing I noticed is that it is very difficult to really get a good picture on what else is happening.  USA entered the war in late '42 and a lot of casualties were happening with the country's in the war, but because of FOW and lack of intel, really could not get a good picture on what big events were happening.  I completely understand that some countries don't have much intel, but would still like a way to understand what's happening, besides the world conflict/war list screen.  Would love to know where the big battles are happening, why are the Italians enduring 1.5 million in casualties, why did certain countries decide to go to war?, etc.

Still really enjoying, but would like to see a little more information made available...

OJsDad

GR, I've never understood that about HOI.  In Victoria 2 they had the newspaper articles and you knew a lot more of what was happening than you do during WWII.  What happen to all of those newspapers and news reels. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

RyanE

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2016, 01:17:57 PM
Today, I decided to just take ownership of a small country and sit back to see how the world unfolded....one thing I noticed is that it is very difficult to really get a good picture on what else is happening.  USA entered the war in late '42 and a lot of casualties were happening with the country's in the war, but because of FOW and lack of intel, really could not get a good picture on what big events were happening.  I completely understand that some countries don't have much intel, but would still like a way to understand what's happening, besides the world conflict/war list screen.  Would love to know where the big battles are happening, why are the Italians enduring 1.5 million in casualties, why did certain countries decide to go to war?, etc.

Still really enjoying, but would like to see a little more information made available...

Did you use spectate mode?  I was curious how it worked.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RyanE on June 11, 2016, 02:25:53 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2016, 01:17:57 PM

Did you use spectate mode?  I was curious how it worked.

Never heard of that mode before.....if it exists, haven't come across it yet.

RyanE

Open the console.  Type in Observe (spectate).  Now you can look at any country and see what it is doing.  AI runs everything.  Got that from watching youtube.

RyanE

After getting sick of the detail needed to play WITP, I swore off grand strategy games.  HOI4 has turned me around.  It is elegant and detailed without forcing you into micromanagement hell.  I can set focus and general direction and the AI produces reasonable results.  Did I say elegant?  It is a very elegant system.  Paradox sure seems like it learned from all the previous games in the series, and probably from other games as well.

I want to thank all the people who participated in this discussion.  It convinced me to buy.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RyanE on June 11, 2016, 03:02:30 PM
Open the console.  Type in Observe (spectate).  Now you can look at any country and see what it is doing.  AI runs everything.  Got that from watching youtube.

Thanks, will try that later tonight when I can...

mikeck

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 11, 2016, 11:42:09 AM
I think a manual for Pdox games would be of limited utility as they tend to go through a lot of changes with the release of each patch or DLC addition.

I remember trying to learn HOI III.  I came to it very late in the day when all the DLC had already been released.  This led to a lot of confusion as there were a lot of "how to" guides and videos out there (both offical and 3rd party) and a lot of them were released earlier in the game's development cycle and much of the information presented in them was no longer correct.

Having said that, HOI IV definitely needs more tutorials or an updatable, context sensitive help system so that you could click on a button and be taken to a series of documents and videos that explain in detail all the functionality and options available for the subsystem you're looking at.

For me, I need a manual that explains how game mechanics work. A tutorial might tell me how to build a factory and an encyclopedia may tell me the different types and costs... but a manual will tell me WHY I want to build one and what happens when I do. I like video tutorials and encyclopedias too...no reason they can't have a manual though. They did for EUIV. I need to have a manual close by to flip through WHILE I'm playing. Also, sometimes I'm not near my computer and want to read up on how the game works.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RyanE

I think this does a pretty good job...

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Beginner%27s_guide

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Mechanics

I found it better than a physical manual because I could search it.  Its also built into the game.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2016, 03:43:15 PM

Very cool....seems to work, although limited to seeing a single country at a time, unless I am missing the command.  Would kind of like to see the entire world unmasked at once to see everything going on, are you aware if that is possible.?

Rekim

Electronic/living rules are pretty much the norm these days. This applies to table top wargames to a lesser degree as well.

For HOI4 I found the official tutorial vids provided all the info I needed to get me started. I also watched a couple of lets plays before release.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2016, 07:43:32 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2016, 03:43:15 PM

Very cool....seems to work, although limited to seeing a single country at a time, unless I am missing the command.  Would kind of like to see the entire world unmasked at once to see everything going on, are you aware if that is possible.?

think I found it....type "fow" in console turns on/off FOW....exactly what I was looking for.