Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 12, 2016, 03:06:30 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 12, 2016, 02:47:33 PM
How do I update my carrier fighters? I researched the 1939 P40 Warhawk which the research screen indicates is for carriers, it has the carrier icon on it. But now that it is available to build it doesn't show the carrier icon and the ones I build can't be put on carriers. My carriers still have the old Grumman FF Fifi's.  A bug or, more likely, something I missed or did wrong?
I think you should click the carrier icon (on the fighters research box) to start researching this.  Only after you researched it this fighter will become available in the carrier variant.

Thanks PD....I didn't realize I had to research the carrier aspect separately....I thought the icon meant it included carrier use but I was wrong.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Millipede on June 12, 2016, 03:31:28 PM
Okay, here's another air war question that I hope one of you can answer. I'm playing as the U.S. and it's 1939 and I would like to send some fighters to the Philippines and am at a complete loss as to how that is accomplished. The game won't let me build a new air wing at the Philippine air base. My P-40's don't have the range to transfer from Guam (even if the game would let me do that) and I can't figure out a way to disassemble and send them by sea (if that's possible). I have no problem sending army units to the Philippines and history tells us that MacArthur had an air-force in place for the Japanese to practice bombing on. Why can't I send/construct an air-force in the Philippines?

Do you have air units in the reserve ?  You can't build a new air wing unless you have something to put in there.
I don't know if this will work but try and disband (part of) an existing air wing.  This will put those planes in to the reserve.  Now see if you can create a new air wing with your new reserve units.
This works inside your own country but could also work if you have military access to the Philippines.

If this doesn't work I have no idea what might work ...   What does the manual say  >:D ?

Millipede

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 12, 2016, 04:32:12 PM
Quote from: Millipede on June 12, 2016, 03:31:28 PM
Okay, here's another air war question that I hope one of you can answer. I'm playing as the U.S. and it's 1939 and I would like to send some fighters to the Philippines and am at a complete loss as to how that is accomplished. The game won't let me build a new air wing at the Philippine air base. My P-40's don't have the range to transfer from Guam (even if the game would let me do that) and I can't figure out a way to disassemble and send them by sea (if that's possible). I have no problem sending army units to the Philippines and history tells us that MacArthur had an air-force in place for the Japanese to practice bombing on. Why can't I send/construct an air-force in the Philippines?

Do you have air units in the reserve ?  You can't build a new air wing unless you have something to put in there.
I don't know if this will work but try and disband (part of) an existing air wing.  This will put those planes in to the reserve.  Now see if you can create a new air wing with your new reserve units.
This works inside your own country but could also work if you have military access to the Philippines.

If this doesn't work I have no idea what might work ...   What does the manual say  >:D ?

Yep... I've got in excess of 200 fighters in reserve and they're available if I attempt to add a wing at any airbase other than the Philippines. Works fine in Puerto Rico, Canal Zone, Guam etc. but not the Philippines.

That's the one little detail that the extensive manual seems to omit.  :)

acctingman

Played as Poland....Germany invaded....Polish communists split and attacked me....I lasted 12 days.

I feel so overwhelmed in this game  :tickedoff:

glen55

I'm able create an air wing in the Phils and add to it from reserves.  Not sure why, I only tried it in response to your post, as I had paid my respects and vamoosed in January 1936.

It's the end of '41, I just went to war on pretty much the historical timetable. I have hundreds of fighters in Hawaii and have built up my naval bases in the Cent Pac a bit. Not sure if any of that has anything at all to do with why it is letting me add new wings in the Phils, but the planes are definitely from reserves.  Heck, who knows?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Millipede

Quote from: glen55 on June 12, 2016, 05:09:28 PM
I'm able create an air wing in the Phils and add to it from reserves.  Not sure why, I only tried it in response to your post, as I had paid my respects and vamoosed in January 1936.

It's the end of '41, I just went to war on pretty much the historical timetable. I have hundreds of fighters in Hawaii and have built up my naval bases in the Cent Pac a bit. Not sure if any of that has anything at all to do with why it is letting me add new wings in the Phils, but the planes are definitely from reserves.  Heck, who knows?

I'm guessing that being at war makes it possible for you. I'm not at war yet.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Rayfer on June 12, 2016, 04:30:03 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 12, 2016, 03:06:30 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 12, 2016, 02:47:33 PM
How do I update my carrier fighters? I researched the 1939 P40 Warhawk which the research screen indicates is for carriers, it has the carrier icon on it. But now that it is available to build it doesn't show the carrier icon and the ones I build can't be put on carriers. My carriers still have the old Grumman FF Fifi's.  A bug or, more likely, something I missed or did wrong?
I think you should click the carrier icon (on the fighters research box) to start researching this.  Only after you researched it this fighter will become available in the carrier variant.

Thanks PD....I didn't realize I had to research the carrier aspect separately....I thought the icon meant it included carrier use but I was wrong.

haha i made the same mistake. thought icon meant it was ready to go but you have to click it and then research that variant. was able to join allies faction and have joined the war in 1940. sent a couple of sub fleets to med sea to raid convoys and a carrier tf to english channel to search and destroy. was finally able to embargo japan and started a coup in china!! pretty sure im not min/maxing my civilian/miltary factories or making enough equipment to replace the losses im sure to incur but hey its my first game of many hopefully and im having fun learning!!

Great Ajax

Ugh.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out this battle plan thing.  I am Germany and me and Poland are defensive allies and the Soviet Union has invaded Poland and I want to come to the aid of my allies.  I have five armies and I set a frontline with all five of them along the German-Polish border.  Then, I set an offensive line in Poland and I have all of the colorful arrows showing the attack paths of the armies.  I click on the button to execute the plan and nothing.  The Armies do not disperse to cover the initial front line - they just stay in one group in one province and they do not advance along their route of attack.  I do not know what to do to get them moving.

Trey

Pete Dero

Quote from: Great Ajax on June 12, 2016, 07:22:36 PM
Ugh.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out this battle plan thing.  I am Germany and me and Poland are defensive allies and the Soviet Union has invaded Poland and I want to come to the aid of my allies.  I have five armies and I set a frontline with all five of them along the German-Polish border.  Then, I set an offensive line in Poland and I have all of the colorful arrows showing the attack paths of the armies.  I click on the button to execute the plan and nothing.  The Armies do not disperse to cover the initial front line - they just stay in one group in one province and they do not advance along their route of attack.  I do not know what to do to get them moving.

Trey

If I understand this correctly you have 5 armies and created one frontline but you need a frontline for each army.  In your case this means you should create five battle plans (or merge some armies).  When you look at the frontline you can see how many divisions are attached to it (a green V should appear to show they are ready and the plan is not too risky).

tgb

It takes time for divisions to get into position before starting to act on a battle plan. Also, as noted above, generals won't execute a plan that they think will be unsuccessful, although you can always nmcro-manage it yourself.

Tuna

Quote from: acctingman on June 12, 2016, 05:05:50 PM
Played as Poland....Germany invaded....Polish communists split and attacked me....I lasted 12 days.

I feel so overwhelmed in this game  :tickedoff:

lol, my son is playing as Poland, he just invaded the US last night. But then he thrives on these Clausewitz Engine games! I have yet to play the game myself.

Great Ajax

I have five front lines and five offensive lines for each of my armies and the commanders all have green check marks.  My planning bonus is maxed at 50%.  The armies sit all grouped up in a single province on their part of the front line and do not disperse to cover the entire line.  The only thing I can think of is that I am not at war with Poland but they are my ally.  Can I not send troops into Poland to help them defend against the Soviets?

Trey

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 13, 2016, 03:09:38 AM
Quote from: Great Ajax on June 12, 2016, 07:22:36 PM

Trey

If I understand this correctly you have 5 armies and created one frontline but you need a frontline for each army.  In your case this means you should create five battle plans (or merge some armies).  When you look at the frontline you can see how many divisions are attached to it (a green V should appear to show they are ready and the plan is not too risky).

tgb

Quote from: Great Ajax on June 13, 2016, 05:47:07 AM
I have five front lines and five offensive lines for each of my armies and the commanders all have green check marks.  My planning bonus is maxed at 50%.  The armies sit all grouped up in a single province on their part of the front line and do not disperse to cover the entire line.  The only thing I can think of is that I am not at war with Poland but they are my ally.  Can I not send troops into Poland to help them defend against the Soviets?

Trey

Rt-click on Poland and check your diplomatic options.  You may see one called "Send Volunteers" that's grayed-out.  I'm pretty sure you have to belong to the same faction, or at least share the same ideology, before you can do that.  World Tension may be a barrier as well.

Pete Dero

Quote from: tgb on June 13, 2016, 06:17:12 AM

Trey

Rt-click on Poland and check your diplomatic options.  You may see one called "Send Volunteers" that's grayed-out.  I'm pretty sure you have to belong to the same faction, or at least share the same ideology, before you can do that.  World Tension may be a barrier as well.

In diplomacy there should be an option available when your allies are at war : 'join wars'. 

The 'send volunteers' diplomatic option only allows you to send a very limited number of divisions to their aid and should only be available to non allied countries.

PS : You don't need to give another country access to your own territory if you are both at war with a third country.

Great Ajax

I took a look at this on the diplomacy screen.  The 'Join Wars' option is greyed out with the mouse over note 'We participate in all of Poland's War already'.  My armies sit on my border with their animated arrows nicely pointing towards the Polish-Soviet border and do nothing.

Trey 

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 13, 2016, 07:34:59 AM
Quote from: tgb on June 13, 2016, 06:17:12 AM

Trey

In diplomacy there should be an option available when your allies are at war : 'join wars'. 

The 'send volunteers' diplomatic option only allows you to send a very limited number of divisions to their aid and should only be available to non allied countries.

PS : You don't need to give another country access to your own territory if you are both at war with a third country.