Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfe1759

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2016, 07:17:30 AM
lol - I simply cannot keep up on any other speed. I admit I do very occasionally fast forward but it's normally a slow game for me!

"In War: 1-2 . In Defeat: 1-2. In Victory: 2-3. In Peace: 2-5." - (not) Winston Churchill  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

jamus34

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on June 17, 2016, 05:00:54 PM
lol - I simply cannot keep up on any other speed. I admit I do very occasionally fast forward but it's normally a slow game for me!

"In War: 1-2 . In Defeat: 1-2. In Victory: 2-3. In Peace: 2-5." - (not) Winston Churchill  :)

(I smoked) 2 joints in morning, 2 at night...I smoked 2 joints in times of peace and 2 at war....

-Sublime
Insert witty comment here.

RyanE

jamus34

Quote from: jamus34 on June 17, 2016, 05:20:12 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on June 17, 2016, 05:00:54 PM

(I smoked) 2 joints in morning, 2 at night...I smoked 2 joints in times of peace and 2 at war....

-Sublime

RyanE

jamus34

Ian C

As The Reich, has anyone tried Sealion / the  invasion of the UK yet?

CptHowdy

anyone else getting missing tooltips? lower right hand corner has options for several things and it did give a tooltip when you hovered over them. now all they do is show the shortcut key, no tooltip.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: CptHowdy on June 18, 2016, 09:43:18 PM
anyone else getting missing tooltips? lower right hand corner has options for several things and it did give a tooltip when you hovered over them. now all they do is show the shortcut key, no tooltip.

Mine still shows tooltips in that area of the screen...

Swatter

I am hugely impressed with this game, after having some post-release doubts. To me, they just did the right things to the right areas without altering the core formula too much. They made some things more realistic and others more abstract. For instance, they made production more realistic with the players running production lines for various equipment and you have troops in a basic training pipeline. They do it skillfully and I find it a massive improvement over previous iterations. In other areas, like the naval and air war, they abstracted it more. To me, its simpler and more realistic.

The only problem I am having at the moment is the AI. It doesn't do a good job of judging what fronts need what troops. Playing as the USSR, Germany (through mid-41 so far) is not garrisoning the border with me. While I have no doubt they will unleash all hell upon me if I stab them in the back, I will be most of the way to Berlin before they can likely stop me. It is disappointing to a degree, but in the long run I am not worried. It will be patched up and the AI will give me a challenge at some point and probably sooner rather than later.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2016, 10:03:49 PM
Quote from: CptHowdy on June 18, 2016, 09:43:18 PM

Mine still shows tooltips in that area of the screen...

hmm okay. will check all my settings again. thought their last patch messed things up.

jomni

Ok.  So what's a nice obscure country to start with?

Hofstadter

Quote from: jomni on June 19, 2016, 02:23:43 AM
Ok.  So what's a nice obscure country to start with?

Brazil to take over SA. Australia for oceania. Greece for europe
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

jomni

I took Communist China. I just realised there aren't a lot of independent nations compared to EU. Less interesting starts.

So I joined the Comintern, declared war on Japan when he declared war on China. Then the Russians go rampaging into Manchukuo and Korea. Liberating provinces under my name. :) Japan is still in the fright.

Ian C

Quote from: Swatter on June 18, 2016, 10:04:20 PM
I am hugely impressed with this game, after having some post-release doubts. To me, they just did the right things to the right areas without altering the core formula too much. They made some things more realistic and others more abstract. For instance, they made production more realistic with the players running production lines for various equipment and you have troops in a basic training pipeline. They do it skillfully and I find it a massive improvement over previous iterations. In other areas, like the naval and air war, they abstracted it more. To me, its simpler and more realistic.

The only problem I am having at the moment is the AI. It doesn't do a good job of judging what fronts need what troops. Playing as the USSR, Germany (through mid-41 so far) is not garrisoning the border with me. While I have no doubt they will unleash all hell upon me if I stab them in the back, I will be most of the way to Berlin before they can likely stop me. It is disappointing to a degree, but in the long run I am not worried. It will be patched up and the AI will give me a challenge at some point and probably sooner rather than later.

I agree with everything you say. Apparently the AI is getting work on the first patch and will continue to improve according to official posts.