Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I really enjoy the land warfare aspects of HOI IV, but when you throw in the air and naval wars, I start to get overwhelmed. I wish those aspects of the game could be assigned to staff AI assistants.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

I've seen casual players play this in large mp groups against the AI.  The casual guys will control the minor nations and the skilled ones take the major nations.  When six of your buddies are tag teaming the AI it can almost be beer and pretzels at that point.

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 29, 2020, 02:00:38 PM
I really enjoy the land warfare aspects of HOI IV, but when you throw in the air and naval wars, I start to get overwhelmed. I wish those aspects of the game could be assigned to staff AI assistants.

I'm not sure I agree with this general sentiment, but I have to agree when you apply it to this particular game. The developers' attention has long been primarily on the land warfare, and I think it would be far better if the air and naval warfare were abstracted in some fashion, whether by some type of ability to delegate to assistants or otherwise. Neither game system really works in a way that doesn't create unrealistic outcomes that percolate through the rest of the game.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SlagDog

Woot! 44 hours would be just enough time for me to learn how three of the buttons in the game do.  ;)

I watch Gamer1492 or whatever play with the Black ice mod on YT and I have to say it completely overwhelms me when I watch him play. He makes that game play like it's Pong. Hmm, just had a thought - I wonder if Arumba or Quill18 has ever done a HoI4 tutorial. I'm going to have to look that up when I get home from work. Might be worth looking into.

hellfish6

I play exclusively with the Black Ice mod - with it, HOI4 suddenly starts to form a fuzzy shape that looks a bit like a real wargame.

Rayfer

Quote from: hellfish6 on March 10, 2021, 07:34:05 PM
I play exclusively with the Black Ice mod - with it, HOI4 suddenly starts to form a fuzzy shape that looks a bit like a real wargame.

I'm glad Black Ice works for you, but for me it was tedious, baffling and micro-management hell.  Just being honest...I like the game much more without it.

bobarossa

I really enjoy the micromanagement hell of Black Ice up until the war starts.  Then I discover the AI simply can't figure out what to do with all those shiny new parts.  My attempt as the UK last month ended in Jan '42 when I discovered the US hadn't built ANY ships since the start of the game.  Previous attempts ended when as Germany I discovered the UK had converted almost all of their divisions to Heavy Tank divisions without building hardly any tanks to fill them.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Damn...that could be a standalone game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

I enjoy the game, but I really wish they'd revisit the air war side of things. I'd like to see the ability of air forces to go after each other, much like air forces can go after ships and naval facilities. Let me be a bit more specific - I'd like to be able to use aircraft to not just go for air superiority in a region but for them to go after the aircraft on the ground. Technically there's a line on the air battle detail for planes bombed on the ground, but I never see this as more than zero.

Fighters, CAS, tactical and even heavy bombers went after airfields in almost every real life WW2 campaign. Sure you can technically select airfields for targeting under strategic bombing, but in reality it does not destroy planes on the ground. The war in Poland, battle of Britain, Barbarossa, the Pacific, and the drive on the Reich all involved aircraft taking out aircraft on the ground. The failure of HOI4 in this respect is the most disappointing aspect.

I'd also like to see air leaders and the development of specific air offensives under a unified command rather than as random penny packets everywhere. There is sort of this already piecemeal, but it would be nice to see it as a more structured command effort, perhaps as has been done with the fleet commands as in the Man the Guns DLC.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sparhawk

Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2021, 09:35:38 PM
I enjoy the game, but I really wish they'd revisit the air war side of things. I'd like to see the ability of air forces to go after each other, much like air forces can go after ships and naval facilities. Let me be a bit more specific - I'd like to be able to use aircraft to not just go for air superiority in a region but for them to go after the aircraft on the ground. Technically there's a line on the air battle detail for planes bombed on the ground, but I never see this as more than zero.

Fighters, CAS, tactical and even heavy bombers went after airfields in almost every real life WW2 campaign. Sure you can technically select airfields for targeting under strategic bombing, but in reality it does not destroy planes on the ground. The war in Poland, battle of Britain, Barbarossa, the Pacific, and the drive on the Reich all involved aircraft taking out aircraft on the ground. The failure of HOI4 in this respect is the most disappointing aspect.

I'd also like to see air leaders and the development of specific air offensives under a unified command rather than as random penny packets everywhere. There is sort of this already piecemeal, but it would be nice to see it as a more structured command effort, perhaps as has been done with the fleet commands as in the Man the Guns DLC.

The older iterations of HOI modeled this fairly well in my opinion. I wonder why this was left so abstract in HOI IV. One of my favorite strategies in "Arsenal of Democracy" was to target airfields having numerous squadrons of aircraft and assign "Airfield Strike" missions to my CAS squadrons. 

Ian C

Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2021, 09:35:38 PMLet me be a bit more specific - I'd like to be able to use aircraft to not just go for air superiority in a region but for them to go after the aircraft on the ground. Technically there's a line on the air battle detail for planes bombed on the ground, but I never see this as more than zero.

You can do this, and typically in Paradox style, it's hidden under tiny buttons you thought were decorative graphics and buried in the UI.

You must select air units with a Strategic Bombardment ability - typically heavy bombers - then select the Strategic Bombing air mission for it. Click the cross-hair icon in the air missions toolbar and then click on the Strategic Bombing Priority for Airfields. I bet some of you didn't even know there were specific Strategic Target selections available. I didn't for some time.

Jarhead0331

Is anybody keeping up with this? I've seen a lot of patch activity over the past several months, something about a war effort initiative. All the patches are named after operations. I've checked some of the patch notes and I see some new features, balancing, fixes, etc.

Paradox seems to be putting a lot of work into this title. Is it making it much better?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 03, 2023, 09:30:30 PMIs anybody keeping up with this? I've seen a lot of patch activity over the past several months, something about a war effort initiative. All the patches are named after operations. I've checked some of the patch notes and I see some new features, balancing, fixes, etc.

Paradox seems to be putting a lot of work into this title. Is it making it much better?

In short: yes. The game is still a challenge to control but I think the tweaks and DLC enhancements have improved the game.

However, to get the best out of the game I think you must have all the major non-sprite, non-music DLC installed.

For me, the best improvements via DLC have been the air war fixes (no more teleporting bomber raids from A to B - they can now be intercepted with losses), the fix for peace conferences with extra options (demilitarised zones, disarmament etc.) the addition of the tank and plane designers, the improved supply model and basically, well, all the other stuff. It's come a long way but it's still a huge game to control.