It's soothing, I tell you...soothing...

Started by Cyrano, June 29, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 02, 2016, 07:03:36 PM
Some kind of hot die-cutting machine might be better, or a sheet stamper you can load with a heated custom face die. Then you can sell tiles with 'PANIC', 'DISTRUPTED', and whatnot else stamped right onto them.

or just call this guy and have him laser-cut a bunch of markers for you

http://www.photoncutterstudios.com
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 02, 2016, 07:47:38 PM
Some kind of hot die-cutting machine might be better, or a sheet stamper you can load with a heated custom face die. Then you can sell tiles with 'PANIC', 'DISTRUPTED', and whatnot else stamped right onto them.

or just call this guy and have him laser-cut a bunch of markers for you

http://www.photoncutterstudios.com

Yeah, laser cutting and engraving is another option, and more reliable for creating lots of small flat parts such as markers and loose hexes than using a 3D printer (which is very slow and requires a lot of fiddling). laser engravers are getting cheaper and cheaper if you want to make stuff yourself and sell it. I backed one on Kickstarter a while back that can cut acrylic and plywood sheets as large as 20" by 16". If you just want to engrave things that are already cut you can get 300 to500 Milliwatt diode engravers for $100-$200 with small work areas or if you are handy with DYI electronic kits you can build more robust 1-5 watt open C&C type diode laser cutter/engravers for a couple hundred more. There are even Chinese 'blue box' 40 watt CO2 lasers you can get for about $500 but they require a lot of tinkering and modding to be user friendly.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

yeah, but Tom's stuff kicks ass and he's been around our Origins events for a decade now
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 02, 2016, 08:15:47 PM
yeah, but Tom's stuff kicks ass and he's been around our Origins events for a decade now

Have to admit the Kriegspiel stuff looks pretty sharp.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GJK

Quote from: panzerde on August 02, 2016, 07:14:39 PM

While I'm joking about mass production, this IS the first thing I've seen that makes me want to buy a 3D printer. Adding lettering is a great idea Stagger, and makes the 3D printer idea even more attractive for small batch stuff.

Some custom tokens such as these:
http://www.litko.net/categories/Tokens-%26-Markers/Ground-Combat/
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Cyrano

The VERY nice fellow behind Photon Cutter lives a few miles from my house.  Meeting him, though, required a chance posting to the British KS forum.

I have a corps each red and blue.  If memory serves, Dr. S. has more.

Top stuff.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

James Sterrett

Quote from: Cyrano on August 03, 2016, 06:10:52 PM
The VERY nice fellow behind Photon Cutter lives a few miles from my house.  Meeting him, though, required a chance posting to the British KS forum.

I have a corps each red and blue.  If memory serves, Dr. S. has more.

Top stuff.

I have a very large quantity of Kriegsspiel pieces from Tom.  They have seen a lot of use over the years and have taken the wear very well.

I highly recommend Tom's work!

Crossroads

All resistance, it turned out, was futile... Them corners, they are so... tidy now. And it is only a 2mm cutter...  O:-)

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on August 09, 2016, 12:11:03 PM
Another soul lost.  :'(

I'll keep the computer game counters nice and square, with sharpest of corners. Promise!  :))
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on August 09, 2016, 08:24:06 AM
All resistance, it turned out, was futile... Them corners, they are so... tidy now. And it is only a 2mm cutter...  O:-)

O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

I took my cutter and two games to the waterpark with my family last week  I sat late into the evening drinking and clipping.

I am now annoyed by photographs of unclipped counters.'

I was disappointed when I opened my copy of "Jena 20" and discovered that the beautiful, laser-cut counters would not need trimming.

Go into the light.

There is peace and serenity in the light.

Oh, and I just ordered a pair of tweezers.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

Drinking and clipping is an excellent way to spend an evening.

Not only do I have tweezers, but I've discarded one set as being unacceptable and had to upgrade to new, improved tweezers.

I can only imagine the disaster my existence would be if I decided to fall down the miniatures rabbit hole.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres