To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

panzerde

And I am indeed going to use them with Nappy games. And maybe GBOH, though it's really the OSG games that need them. Counter stacking and then all of the status markers - I spend twice as long fixing knocked over stacks as I do playing, even with tweezers.

Plus, you know, how can you resist having a little vehicle for your counters to ride around in?

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

I do not like them Sam I Am.

They disrupt my aesthetic.

This, of course, is while playing NLB.  My attitude may change as I return to the later generation OSG games.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Crossroads

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 31, 2016, 07:01:55 PM
So, just out of curiosity, if a US citizen were to ship a 50 pound box (as in 3 1/2 Stone, not £50) labeled 'Paper Goods' or 'Presents' from the States to some bloke in the UK, private citizen to private citizen, and the bloke in question were to redistribute the contents of said box (which looked very much like table top games and game counter appearance enhancement devices) to other souls who also resided in the UK, how much trouble could all involved get into if the UK Customs or UK Postal Police (is that a thing?) were to open said box and, upon discovering it's contents, feel like some additional revenue aught to have been paid to someone (maybe themselves)?

At least here in Finland it is pretty much an automatic process. Goods purchased outside of EU coming over mail with value over EUR 20 (USD 22 or therabouts) get stopped in Customs, receiver gets a letter where he can opt to pay the customs via an easy Web page, after which parcel is shipped forward. This is true when shopping from stores, as they print the value in parcel.

For gifts, the customs threshold at least here is EUR 45 (USD 50). I've bought several bigger 2nd hand boardgames from BGG with that value, but none of these have ever stuck in the customs as they are sent by a private person.

So in that hypothetical situation I'd mark the parcel as Gift, name it a boardgame, and if necessary put a low monetary value to it. I see no risk especially if you'd mail these individually to different persons.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JudgeDredd

WHat's with the tweezers? I don't get that reference.
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2016, 12:42:29 AM
WHat's with the tweezers? I don't get that reference.

Tweezers. With soft coated tips, preferrably. They're The Next Level  :))

I'm not there yet, mind.  :-[  :))

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JudgeDredd

Yeah - I know what they are... :2funny:...I was wondering what they were used for...picking up counters?
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2016, 02:54:26 AM
Yeah - I know what they are... :2funny:...I was wondering what they were used for...picking up counters?

They would mostly be used to show you've arrived at The Next Level?   :)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Crossroads on September 01, 2016, 12:20:21 AMSo in that hypothetical situation I'd mark the parcel as Gift, name it a boardgame, and if necessary put a low monetary value to it. I see no risk especially if you'd mail these individually to different persons.

This
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Yes for picking up counters, especially on very crowded maps with tall stacks. Helps the less dextourious of us to keep from plowing over piles of counters trying to make a move.

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on August 31, 2016, 10:09:46 PM
I do not like them Sam I Am.

They disrupt my aesthetic.

This, of course, is while playing NLB.  My attitude may change as I return to the later generation OSG games.

I agree - I don't care for the look. OTOH, I'm tired of spending ten minutes putting on markers and dumping over stacks every turn, and for the price it was worth a shot. I may well find that I can't really stand them!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on September 01, 2016, 05:26:09 AM

Yes for picking up counters, especially on very crowded maps with tall stacks. Helps the less dextourious of us to keep from plowing over piles of counters trying to make a move.

It sounds like the kind of tweezers used to remove contact lenses from glass vials would be ideal. They usually end in a short length of silicone tubing or soft pad adhered to the arms. I'll have to look around the office for one. They're not used much anymore since most contacts are now shipped in blister packs.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys