To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on August 31, 2016, 10:57:30 AM
I'm still looking for a program that will clip all of my Vassal module counter corners.  >:D

OK, I LOLed
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on August 31, 2016, 10:58:28 AM
I'm still looking for a program that will clip all of my Vassal module counter corners.  >:D

:knuppel2:
So Barth...genuinely...why against the clipping? The way they are done is probably just an "ease of manufacturing" thing. No info is lost and they do look very tidy.

I've clipped corners off with my modelling knife and I have also clipped the "ragged edges" created when punching and the clipping is much easier. It's ALOT of work to cut those ragged edges.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Pay him no mind, JD. He's one of those hippy types who has to have everything "au naturel".
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2016, 10:14:32 AM
This is the bad boy I want

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17316.msg461570#msg461570

Ordered it directly from Oregon Laminations website. Easy to order, fast delivery, what's there not to like. Mine is a 2mm version. I am still a conservative, mind  O:-)

Spent yesterday evening clipping the remaining PanzerBlitz Hill Of Death counters, ran the new Carentan situation cards through lamination machine, ...  :smitten:

I however do not own any tweezers yet.  :))
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

This one, that is.

Costs an arm and a leg, but is sturdy enough to last to the seventh son of the seventh son.  :)

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on August 31, 2016, 01:00:18 PM

Tweezers are must have tools of the trade!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on August 31, 2016, 01:04:08 PM
This one, that is.

Costs an arm and a leg, but is sturdy enough to last to the seventh son of the seventh son.  :)

Mine was $45 US. Seemed reasonable enough considering how much I spend on games.

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2016, 12:09:21 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 31, 2016, 10:58:28 AM

:knuppel2:
So Barth...genuinely...why against the clipping? The way they are done is probably just an "ease of manufacturing" thing. No info is lost and they do look very tidy.

I've clipped corners off with my modelling knife and I have also clipped the "ragged edges" created when punching and the clipping is much easier. It's ALOT of work to cut those ragged edges.

I've always removed my counters from the sprues with a knife and ruler... no ragged corner tuffs... until recently when I switched to a rotary cutter and ruler.. same results and easier.

I just prefer the square look to the rounded corner, always have. Also I don't like "defacing" my games by making modifications - marked up rule books, correction stickers on cards (Cyrano!), etc.

Also I think it's a colossal waste of time to clip counters.  :P

Nowadays lots of companies are die cutting their counters with rounded corners... I'm OK with that because the counters have been design with that in mind... one would hope any way.  :idiot2:

Plus yer all gonna burn in Hell fer abusing harmless counters.  :D

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on August 31, 2016, 01:04:46 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on August 31, 2016, 01:00:18 PM

Tweezers are must have tools of the trade!

There is some hope fer you yet.  :P

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on August 31, 2016, 01:06:08 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on August 31, 2016, 01:04:08 PM
This one, that is.

Mine was $45 US. Seemed reasonable enough considering how much I spend on games.

Yup, same price for two mill version. Here's a close-up of the counters

Edit: a better pic yet with some 1/2" chits as well

Crossroads

mirth

Crossroads

mirth

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath