GMT's Time of Crisis Good PBEM Choice

Started by ArizonaTank, July 19, 2017, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

I was looking for a good Vassal / PBEM game for playing a buddy of mine, who lives across the Bay...too far to make regular meeting possible. 

GMT's Time of Crisis came up on the radar since its sequence of play is not interactive like most games today.  In ToC one player does their complete move, before moving to the next player, with almost no back-and-forth in between. 

The rules are fairly thin, and the game appears at first to be simplistic.  But after playing it a bit now, I can say it is actually quite deep, despite the rather straightforward mechanics. 

The game does an excellent job of portraying the real crisis nature of that period in Roman history, when Rome was spouting a new emperor every few months....

I have been playing two player, but I can see it must be a real hoot with 3 or 4. 

The only real issue I have with the game is that the rules could be more clear in some areas, but otherwise it is a gem.

As a PBEM game, I think it is everything I could want.

In fact, if anyone is interested in a learning game, PBEM with Vassal, let me know...perhaps we could get 3 or 4 players.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.