Armour in LnL - Question (I'm looking at you Barth)

Started by JudgeDredd, April 20, 2018, 05:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

There are also smaller ones covering the Soviets in Afghanistan and the Libyan civil war.

bbmike

I'm looking forward to seeing those v5 rules.  :bd:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yskonyn

Ok, so let's say I buy HotN. Will that be one box containing everything I need? What of this v5 rules? Are they included or does the system work with a seperate rulebook spanning the whole system like ASL?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Everything you need will be in the box but you'll want the X-Maps as well.  5.0 rules combine the WWII and post WWII rules into one fore book and add in a bunch of tutorials and examples as well as consolidating most of the rules found in the various versions of the games.

Yskonyn

I see all the Heroes of ... modules at my retailer, but no mention of the v5 rules... Is it a download only?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bbmike

I don't see the X-Maps as must have. Aren't they just the same maps with larger size hexes?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

V5.0 rules aren't out yet. I suspect you'll be able to buy a physical copy if you want.  X-Maps are larger versions of the maps but the default maps are tiny!

Barthheart

Well, some of the regular geo-morphic maps are small. I've just used the art from the VASSAL modules and printed them out to fill an 11x17 sheet... pretty much the size of an X-map....

HAtRS and DoH are played on played on larger single maps, 22x30 I think. But there are X-map versions for those as well and they look fantastic.

V5.0 rules will contain most everything in the entire system. There should be download and purchase options. These rules will not show up on boxed games until the current stock is sold out.

The V4.1 rules you get in the games now are just fine to pay with. The new version is more about clarity and lots of examples than changing any of the rules.

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 01, 2018, 11:54:10 AM
Now I want Day of Heroes and Heroes Against the Red

Day of Heroes is great fun. You get to play a game of Black Hawk Down.  :bd:

Yskonyn

Thanks for the input so far.
Is the solo rules box worth getting?

Barthheart

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 02, 2018, 02:20:15 PM
Thanks for the input so far.
Is the solo rules box worth getting?

Yes... if you really need to play against someone/thing and hate having to play both sides. It works well but is not an all encompassing device. You still need to setup both sides and sometimes override the AI for very rare non-sensical actions.

If you're fine with playing both sides LnLT works really well because of the impulse system. Action is always switch back and froth.

There's a really good demo package you can try out the game with a walk through to see how it all works.
If you don't want to PnP you can use the demo package with the VASSAL modules and it all works well to show the system.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The free demo is also available on TTS and it's very slick.  Gives you a Nam scenario and a US vs. Germans in Normandy scenario to play around with. 

RommelFox

I've been interested in this series.  Has anyone tried the solo system?

I was wondering how well it worked, especially at that price.  It's rare I have an opponent to play against, so if it works well, it would be useful for me.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Barthheart