Main Menu

Epic?

Started by Jarhead0331, January 30, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

La la la I can't hear you

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I still can't hear you.

Is that a monkey assassin?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you have to ask, it's already too late.

al_infierno

Honestly, I don't really get the staunch resistance to the Epic launcher.  I know they've drawn a lot of ire with their exclusivity deals, but it's not exactly evil to throw money at developers/publishers to persuade them to leave a platform with a massive stranglehold on the market.  It's kind of annoying not having everything conveniently available on Steam just a mouse-click away, but isn't that how things always were before everything became digitized and Steam started dominating the market?  I remember the days of having to root around my closet and find an old CD case just to get a key to play a game online.  Having to switch between two or three windows on my PC is hardly a nightmare.

The one issue I have with the Epic launcher is that I'm constantly inundated with friend requests from apparent bots, but I don't use the friends service on Epic so I can ignore that easily.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I can see why people would criticize Epic on too many exclusive titles on their site.  I can also see Epic needing to do this in order to have a chance to compete with their giant competitor. 

The more I think about it the more I think it's not a bad thing to have accounts in multiple gaming service locations. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

My chief concern about installing Epic was due to reports of CPU temperature spikes caused by the launcher.  I gave it a shot once a partial fix was announced and monitored my system.  I didn't see any temp difference on my PC so I'm good with it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-bug-in-the-epic-games-store-launcher-raises-cpu-temps-on-some-pcs-partial-fix-is-available/

Gusington

I can and have waited months or years for titles to appear elsewhere.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 30, 2021, 03:31:35 PM
My chief concern about installing Epic was due to reports of CPU temperature spikes caused by the launcher.  I gave it a shot once a partial fix was announced and monitored my system.  I didn't see any temp difference on my PC so I'm good with it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-bug-in-the-epic-games-store-launcher-raises-cpu-temps-on-some-pcs-partial-fix-is-available/

I had not heard that, but that might explain some strange behavior I saw with Epic running in the background.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jamus34

I've had some issues with Epic, but I do not know if it is their launcher, the game or something else

Basically Borderlands 3 starting CTD frequently on me. As far as I know you can't opt out of patches like Steam so no idea if it was my PC, the launcher, the game, a patch or my vid card driver.

Put the game down for a while and started playing again but I do have a new vid card.
Insert witty comment here.

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on August 27, 2021, 11:01:45 AM
^If Old World goes on sale on Epic, would you mind posting here? For me, your pal :)

Test yer mettle time Gus.  While technically not on sale, there is an opportunity to grab a $10 off coupon at Epic to use on Old World (or any game costing $14.99 and up).  You will have to get a free Epic account and then sign up for email alerts (something you can turn off later).   I just signed up for the alerts and got the coupon in just a few minutes.  Applied it to Old World and bought it...cost was $29.99.  Installing now, but I won't have any/much time in the near future to play with it since we are getting our house ready for sale. :-\

p.s.  The coupon can be earned from now until November 15...any unused coupons will expire.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

I got an Epic account just for Old World. No regrets.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

^I have been so very close to doing that.

Dammit Steve I thought you would have forgotten all about my post.

My mettle is solid (pun intended). I can wait since I just finished up some ancients gaming and am moving towards some medieval/renaissance gaming for the next few months, at least. By the time I am done with that, it will hopefully not be too long until Old World is released beyond Epic. And maybe I can catch a combo deal with the original game and the upcoming DLC.

Hopefully.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TheFjordFox

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2019, 10:32:19 AM
Not only did I dislike the layout and found it hard to navigate and find what I was looking for, but it also tried installing Fortnite onto my system unprompted. That really annoyed the piss out of me.

That's pretty spot-on for me. Can relate.
I'm just another random.