Gary Grigsby War in the East 2x3+ Team Game (CoOp sides) players wanted

Started by Telemecus, September 14, 2019, 01:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telemecus

The 2x3+ Team Game of War in the East is looking for new players to join the Axis or Soviet teams. Let me know if you are interested or feel free to ask for more information.

This game is suitable for players of all levels. Being a team game (co-op sides) means you will be responsible for only part of one side, so it does take less time than playing the whole game solo. It also means there is more time between each of your turns. Do not join if you want this to be a quick game occupying lots of your time. However it also means you do not have to commit yourself to play to the end of the game, the only thing we ask is you give as much notice before you leave and help to cover until and hand over to a replacement.

The game started as the 1941-5 campaign and saw a successful summer campaign by the Axis in 1941 and Soviet counter-offensive during the blizzard. It is at an exciting point with the good weather in 1942 arriving. The Axis do have a chance to get a sudden death points victory, but otherwise the tide will turn and the future will be the Soviet armies marching to Berlin.

JasonPratt

I wish I could join in, but I'm booked up at the moment!

However, in case someone else wants to join in, how does one do so?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Telemecus

At the moment if you want to join either post that you are interested in this thread or drop me a message. I am head of the Axis team, Beria who is head of the Soviet team is also on Grogheads. I know some other players are here but I am not sure of their usernames. You can also join the discord server https://discord.gg/fatMgwU which is for grognard games (which you may find interesting anyway) and you will see information about the game in the looking for opponents channel. The team communications are run through private channels on that Discord server anyway.

Even if you are not able to play now but have some interest in future let us know. Usually we have a reserve list of players. There is also the option to join as an interested observer or advisor. The only rule is that once you have the password and seen the plans of one side you cannot then join the other side.

There is a longer write up on the game including expectation of how much time the game will take from you and so on. As I am still quite new to posting on Grogheads I was worried about dumping too much information in one go. But if you think more information here will help do let me know.

Dammit Carl!

Tripoli

Quote from: Telemecus on September 15, 2019, 06:30:45 AM

Even if you are not able to play now but have some interest in future let us know. Usually we have a reserve list of players. There is also the option to join as an interested observer or advisor. The only rule is that once you have the password and seen the plans of one side you cannot then join the other side.

Put me on the reserve list for now.  Not usre I can commit, but I'd be interested in possibly playing in the future. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Telemecus

Quote from: Tripoli on September 15, 2019, 09:56:21 AM
Put me on the reserve list for now.  Not usre I can commit, but I'd be interested in possibly playing in the future.

On the list - you have first option!  :D

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Telemecus

Although quite long might be useful to post the original game sign up message

Quote from: Original Game Sign Up Post
The idea is that both novices and more experienced players can be team members. It is not meant to be a coaching game, although if players are happy to do that that is fine. Generally though each player should have their own area of responsibility and succeed or fail by their own efforts. However it is an opportunity to see how others play from the same side and play collaboratively a side of War in the East. Some things that are easy for a single player game to do are harder for a group, and that is part of the challenge.

As a wargame it should be approached by all in the spirit of fun.

Set Up

PBEM

Campaign 1941-45 [Edit: changed from Bitter End in original post]

Latest public beta version and update at least when steam does
[Edit: we will not update to v1.12 when it is published as official steam beta but remain with v1.11.03 steam official release instead]

Game options, unless there is a consensus otherwise among those who join, will be
-fog of war
-random weather
-+1 Soviet bonus [Edit: changed from no bonus]
-mild blizzard [Edit: changed from full blizzard]
-better cv maths [Edit added]

House rules
-no suicide mission para drops or naval invasions (e.g. sacrificed to displace airbases or rail repair), such missions should be realistic with a plan to keep them in supply and with relief forces to join them.
-Axis Supreme Commander will not perform any combat missions (e.g. air missions) [Edit added since original post to reflect perceived experience imbalance, if there is no imbalance this needs to be revisited]
If there is a consensus for other house rules these can be added, but it is best kept to a minimum

Team and Roles

[Edit: Rules since changed to remove this section and to leave it to each side to decide their teams without rules]

Each team should include
- 1 Supreme Commander: decides the allocations to each of the other commanders (e.g. units, points, rail cap, manpower, leaders etc.) and their responsibilities (e.g. boundary maps, objectives). This can include protocols on how different players can use the same units during the same turn (e.g. air groups, SUs), strategy many turns ahead etc. The supreme commander could also undertake strategic aspects of warfare (air missions, industry etc.) but should not be another ground commander. Anything relevant to only the responsibilities of one commander should be left to that commander. As well as aiming to win the game, the Supreme commander is also responsible for ensuring all their team players have the substantial game they expect.
- North, Centre/West, South and (optionally) other ground commanders: they cannot also be the Supreme Commander and are responsible for "pushing the units" for all ground forces in contact with the enemy as well as any other roles the team decides
- Others (optionally): if the team agrees and other roles can be found. Suggestions have included air commanders, deputy ground commanders and even ministers of production and propaganda!

Each team must have
-1 Team Manager (who can also have one of the roles above and does not have to be the Supreme Commander): makes sure that the save file is with somebody to take their go, that there is no ambiguity whose go it is, and it is not left idle during their sides turn. When a player cannot take their go and there is no way to swap the sequence round for someone else to take their go, the team manager should arrange for someone to cover that players go for that turn. Their aim is for that team's turn to be finished as quickly as possible. They should also recruit replacments when a vacancy occurs. [My experience of the other team game is this is a substantial side job - even hardcore wargamers have real lives and getting multiple calendars coordinated is not easy. And getting a replacement for a vacancy entails more than posting once in the forums that there is a vacancy. Having someone responsible for this helps!]

Teams that opt for further ground commanders or other roles should take care to not unduly increase the length of the game as a result.

To start the game each team must have at least a different person as Supreme, North and South commander (Centre/West can be allocated between North and South).

If the team does not at least have a different person as Supreme, North, Centre/West and South commander they must post they are looking to fill this vacancy in this thread and be open for another joining the team to fill these roles.

When teams have no vacancies and extra roles are not possible for those expressing an interest here they will be added to the reserves list and invited to join when the next vacancy occurs.

A player vacates their place in the game when they post so in this thread, or if they have been incomunicado since their last turn and are not available to take their turn when it comes again.

Anyone who has played on one side cannot later play on the other side (they will know the other team's password and plans).

Sequence of Play

Play consists of each commander taking their go and uploading their save files at the end of their go to dropbox for the next commander in this sequence
1. Supreme Commander receives end of turn file from opposing team and takes their go at the start
2. Other team commanders take their go in an agreed sequence, if necessary altered by the team manager to make sure there are no idle periods
3. After all other commanders on a team have finished the Supreme Commander takes a further go at the end
4. The end turn button is pressed for the end of turn save and the result is uploaded to dropbox for the other side to take their turn

All players should be members of and upload their end of go saves to a single game dropbox and use a common file name schema (e.g. "2by3+ 010-Axis.02 North Finished" where 2by3+ is the name of the game, 10-Axis would be the turn number-side, 2 the go for that side during the turn and the last part their description of the go). Players of the other team will be able to see the progress but not open the files without the password.

Time: Commitment and Pace

Experience from the other team game is that when teams are doing OK each side takes a week to do a turn. The fastest has been two days, the longest many weeks. Turns get quicker when there are no team changes, and are likely to be quicker during less intense mud turns say. However even with quick players the multiple handovers do make the game slower. Players will have to accept this, but should endeavour to not unnecessarily lengthen the game and take responsibility not to leave it idle while others wait.

Realitically this means at the start you are only likely to have the save file to take your go for an evening or two every two weeks. You can spend as much or as little time as you like outside of this to think about and plan your go, write AARs, strategise with team members, trashtalk the other side or engage in any other type of role play. But if your only interest is "pushing the units" and you are frustrated by this pace you should not consider this as your main or only game. On the other hand if you are not able to commit to a full on solo game against someone else this could be ideal.

Also this pace, even if it accelerates, means the end of the game will be a long way off. This means it is more suited to someone interested in the tactical play turn by turn, the team colloboration, or even the results by the end of each campaigning season. It may not suit someone whose main interest is in seeing a win or lose screen at the end of 200+ turns. On the other hand it does mean you are not individually obliged to stay with the game until the end. You can just play to the end of a campaigning season or even just a couple of turns to cover between one player leaving and another joining. All that is asked is that you are upfront about your commitment to your team mates and give as much notice of leaving as possible to allow a replacement to be found.

Communications

There will be a forum thread for both teams for trashtalk and, hopefully, posting an AAR alternately by each team with a suitable delay. Each team may also have their own forum thread to post commands and operate the team or for any role play they like, and/or instead post a seperate AAR; and to which they can instruct members of the other team not to visit. Each team may also want to have its own dropbox just for that team side to hold files in common other than those posted to its AAR - if so all team members should be given access.

Future changes

Once the game has started rules can be amended or added to when there is no objection by any of the current players of the game. Rule changes must be posted in this thread so that future joiners of the game can know them.

How to join or express interest

Post your intention to join here - you can express a preference for a side or role. If you suggest a role other than the four defined above (Supreme, North, Centre/West, South), or even have no role, you may want to describe how it would work and why it would be good - but may have to accept the team may not be able to accommodate it.
If you are unsure or still considering it do feel free to post so here or PM me.
Feel free also to ask any questions.

Telemecus

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 18, 2019, 04:23:52 PM
What pace do you play at?  A turn every few days?

The quickest we have ever had is a four man team taking a turn in a day, the longest... well months!

But the passage above describing the time commitment probably describes the typical. Gary Grigsby games are not designed with an interface for a team side so the turns have to be taken sequentially. If you have a good turn manager who can schedule it can go quicker, but realistically there is always dead time between one guy doing their bit and the next guy. So a common experience is to take a turn every week or every other week. This is not going to be your main game or occupy your time. Think of it as an interesting low commitment thing you visit occasionally.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

While I'm not keen on playing (too many irons in real-life fires to commit to anything more than World of Tanks owing to it's quick in-out play cycle), I'd love to see an AAR of this.  Any plans on doing anything like that?

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Telemecus

Followed a suggestion to post the protocol that we used to turn Gary Grigsby's War in the East from a game designed to be played solo to something that could be played by a team side. I posted it in the Computer Wargaming section as it could be useful to other Gary Grigsby players, and the principles might be of interest to players of other games. See here http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23888.0

Telemecus

It was a fair wait until the next player dropped out. But they did and now ArizonaTank is on the Soviet team. Congratulations and will be flying the flag for Grogheads too I think!  :)