Close Quarter Battles: Waterloo

Started by IronX, February 27, 2020, 05:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

Moving on from modding PC games, I've been trying my hand recently at board game design.  :o This is a tactical game that focuses on the battles for Hougoumont and La Haye Sante. Individual units are company-sized with each hex about 30 meters.  Rather than producing a physical prototype while the game is constantly changing, I've created a Vassal module and this has helped immensely.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/QCBWaterloo

Cheers,

Andrew

ArizonaTank

Quote from: IronX on February 27, 2020, 05:57:53 PM
Moving on from modding PC games, I've been trying my hand recently at board game design.  :o This is a tactical game that focuses on the battles for Hougoumont and La Haye Sante. Individual units are company-sized with each hex about 30 meters.  Rather than producing a physical prototype while the game is constantly changing, I've created a Vassal module and this has helped immensely.

Cheers,

Andrew

Vassal is heaven sent for this purpose. Add in the fact that it is free...well it doesn't get better than that.

The game looks gorgeous. And I would certainly be interested in a game at the company level.

My only comment as someone who cut my Nappy teeth on 15mm minis and then moved to board games, is that I prefer board games that somewhat try to capture formations and facing.

I prefer Pratzen Editions' Le Retour de l'Empereur over Hexasim's "Eagles" series (Quatre Bras) for example.

But that is just me.

Certainly at the scale you are setting the game at, facing and formation may not be as important as a regimental / battalion level game.

Anyway, looks like a great project, please post updates from time to time.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

IronX

Thanks for the kind comments. Formations (line, column, and square) including skirmishers are covered in the rules. I've also drafted some facing rules - although I tend not to use them in Vassal as it's hard to read counters upside down, etc! When I get around to a physical prototype I'll refine facing further. I'll be posting updates mostly in the FB solitaire/wargaming groups as it's pretty quiet here.

"Promotional" blurb:

Nefaro

Interesting scale & subject, IronX.   8)

GJK

I remember seeing these and was just stunned at how awesome it is that they look; what's the status? Still working on it? Do update us!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

IronX

Sorry for the late reply as I don't visit this forum as much as I should.

The game is progressing slowly but surely. I do a little work on it just about every day. These days I'm working on the last few scenarios. As I play through them I'm constantly tweaking the rules, maps, and counters, which makes for slow going. I'm pretty happy with the state it's in now so this week I'm working on a prototype. This has really helped validate my graphic design choices and it's also nice to see it in physical form after playing it in Vassal for months. Playtesting will be the next big step, which is probably about a month away.

For regular updates, feel free to check out the game's  Facebook Page.