(FINISHED) Grogspocalypse Prequel: Early Ages Boogaloo [Dominions 5]

Started by al_infierno, July 24, 2020, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Another grogs game of Dominions 5, this time in Early Ages.  Will be using llamaserver PBEM to play.

Nation picks:

Ajidica - Rus
W8taminute - Vanheim
TheMeInTeam - Atlantis
Myrmidon - Arcoscephale
al_infierno - C'tis
solops - Agartha
Tanaka - Abysia

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GrogsPrequel
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Yskonyn

Hey man! Thanks for thinking of me once again.
I can't quite yet commit yet, sorry

Have fun and keep me in the loop for next one.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

W8taminute

Hi al_infierno,

Thanks for putting this game together for us.  I will indeed stick with EA Vanheim for this game.  Good luck to us all!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Ajidica

Thanks for putting this together al_infierno!

Any thought on maps? With only five players, Biddyn looks good to me. It is a bit on the large side for four players so five should fit nicely.

TheMeInTeam

I'm thinking I probably won't do Ulm.  Was test-casing a water nation but that would be unplayable on Biddyn, so I'll demo a few other things.  It's tempting to pick Agartha too but I probably won't.  Probably :).

solops

You guys are making me have second thought about not playing.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

Quote from: solops on July 24, 2020, 07:42:18 PM

SU NIOJ... SU NIOJ...  >:D
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Myrmidon

Quote from: solops on July 24, 2020, 07:42:18 PM

Please do join!  The game is definitely a richer experience with more people.  If time is an issue, I'm sure we could slow down the turn timer to allow more to have an opportunity to play. 

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Map thoughts - I think that the pre-fab maps like Biddyn  and Pelywr have a set max number of starting places set up. If the map is set up for 8 players but only 6 join that leaves uninhabited start slots that will give the nearby nations an empty space to expand into. Not good. If the map is fully populated, then you have to be happy with the designed number of provinces per player. Some of these maps are pretty tight, biasing events towards early war and the resulting effect on pretender design. I am going to suggest we strongly consider an agreeable number of provinces per player and the let Dominions5 make a map for us. The game will space us out fairly well evenly. It does occasionally put a player in a really bad spot, but the devs have made improvements. If someone feels that they have an absolutely untenable starting spot, we can re-gen. Thoughts?

solops

Now that the swelling from the knots on my head have gone down (thanks TMIT and Ajidica), I'm going to start pretender testing. I think I forgot how to play.

al_infierno

Agartha is yours!  Good to have ya back :bd:

As for map choice, I'd agree with doing a random map this time.  I've had good experiences with MapNuke making pretty balanced maps, with the downsides being: A. they're harder on the eyes than the vanilla maps, and B. someone would have to basically curate the map while seeing everyone's starting points.

If we want to keep it simple, then we could do a vanilla random map and restart until everyone's happy.  I'm also not against using a premade again, of course.

- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

I'm fine with a randomized map as well.  Will influence starting build a bit but that's not a big deal.  A warning to Agartha if we use vanilla that it's unlikely to generate caves outside your capital.

solops

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on July 24, 2020, 11:52:52 PM
I'm fine with a randomized map as well.  Will influence starting build a bit but that's not a big deal.  A warning to Agartha if we use vanilla that it's unlikely to generate caves outside your capital.

So I have noticed :(
You can increase the percentage in the generator and sometimes get a few more but, in general you are correct. I also noticed that the generator does not make many rivers unless you put rivers in as a large number.

Ajidica

If we are going random map, I'd like to see the map before we start the game. EA Rus is heavily dependent on access to forests outside of its cap.
(Also, do we know how to upload a map to llamaserver? That was always a stumbling block whenever W8taminute and I wanted to use a custom map in our 1v1 games.)

Since we are keeping six players, should we keep the thrones the same? 8 total, 2 level 2, 6 to win?