Distant Worlds 2 Formal Announcement

Started by Jarhead0331, January 26, 2021, 09:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

Oh yeah. I like the ship design.  :smitten:

I even like Erik's explanation into the solution of "space terrain." that's well thought out. You can jump within range however you will be slowed by nebulae, sensors may not work, Shields may or may not be full strength and you will have to do multiple jumps, again I'm thinking fuel stations, refueling ships will be essential. I like what I see in this. Can't wait.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Millipede

^Thanks for the heads-up Steve. I've been following DW2 development and it looks encouraging... fingers crossed.

As long as we're discussing DW... I purchased Distant Worlds Universe ages ago, installed it, had a look and ran away from the complexity. I just didn't know where to start. After ignoring it for a year or so I decided that I was going to just put my head down and learn the game! As a result, I came across Tortuga Power's tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEFm0jxtzWs&list=PLuXzIAdwiCCzPk_REYjI2iVatlXVRD0qZ which I found to be an excellent series. Thanks to Tortuga DW is a game that is now one of my most played. Anyway if, like me, you shied away from the complexity give this series a try and you may end up hooked too. Since I've become barely competent, not good mind you, I feel pretty sure that I'll be able to tackle DW2 right out of the box and I'm looking forward to the prospect.

CJReich46

FarAway Sooner

Dev Diary 5 is out.  I really like the exploration mechanic they describe.  It remains to be seen how they integrate that mechanic into the overall game play, but I do love the notion of "exploring broad versus exploring deep" and it seems likely to lead to some harder strategic trade-off decisions mid game. 

I also like the unique features that they're talking about adding to planets.  I just hope they don't overdue it with unique, randomized buffs for every planet.  My biggest complaint with DWU was brain-dead AI in fleet battles, but my second-biggest complaint was that sometimes I felt like I was playing Spreadsheets in Space.  Still, adding some unique and interesting bonuses to individual planets could be a really interesting touch.

I also hope they reduce the number of resources slightly so that the supply chains are a bit more intuitive.  I felt like a 33% haircut to the number of resources still would have left the economic system with enough complexity that it would have been satisfying from a gaming standpoint.  Trying to keep straight whether I was lacking Argon or Xenon or Helium for a particular ship component got mind-numbing after a while.

I'm totally excited about this title.  DWU is one of my Top 5 Ever 4x Games!  Like many Matrix titles, it might take a little while to age on the vine.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5084829

Grim.Reaper

steve58

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 17, 2021, 09:34:18 AM
Well, looks like release date now moved to some time Q1 2022...

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5088251&mpage=1&key=&#5089251

Y'all did see this vpart in that ^link, right?  :timeout:

In the meantime, we invite you to join the new wave of beta testing that will open in the next few days

To sign up, head to Matrix's beta signup page and submit your application!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

CJReich46

Forgive this necro but:

WE HAVE A DATE! WE HAVE A DATE!!!

MARCH 10 2022!! DISTANT WORLDS 2!!

:smitten:

FarAway Sooner

Interesting demo impressions from RPS:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/code-force-played-distant-worlds-2-for-us-and-the-signal-is-strong

If they've solved some of the interface and AI decision-making woes, I will be SO into this game.  Shrinking the field of playable races from 20 to 7 seems a bit harsh, but I did find the 20 different races in the original a bit excessive.

It sounds like they're trying to simplify the interface and parts of the overall game play (e.g., simplifying ship design, settling on only one fuel resource).  Hopefully they can do this without dumbing down the game.  Games like Go or Settlers of Catan have done a great job of offering simplicity of mechanics while preserving complexity of game play.

If DWU2 manages something similar in a few places, I'll be thrilled.  I LOVED the original game, but even after hundreds of hours playing and dozens of hours watching YouTube tutorial videos, I only felt like I'd mastered about 1/3 of the game.

Rekim

I suspect that reducing the number of races will help make the AI more efficient. Fingers crossed...

Pete Dero

https://www.twitch.tv/dastactic

Dastactic is streaming the Distant Worlds 2 preview version right now.

CJReich46

eXplorminate preview here:

Anguille

devoncop

I absolutely love the huge space opera vibe of this one watching the previews but it seems pretty intimidating for someone like me who never played DW1.

I know a lot of things can be automated but I do worry I will be overwhelmed given the fact it is real time pause rather than turn based, with notifications left right and centre like a Paradox EU4 game on steroids :)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games