Brave.....New Browser and Search Engine.

Started by z1812, January 26, 2021, 10:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z1812

Claims No Ads and No tracking. Developed to provide a secure and private browser, 3 to 8 times faster than Chrome. I am trying it now.

https://brave.com/

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

z1812

Quote from: z1812 on January 26, 2021, 10:20:12 AM
Claims No Ads and No tracking. Developed to provide a secure and private browser, 3 to 8 times faster than Chrome. I am trying it now.

I should have mentioned that Brave recommends DuckDuckGo.com as an extension to amplify privacy.

airboy

I started using duckduckgo and it works as well as bing or google.  Your searches also are less clogged with "sponsored content" which is useless in small towns.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I used Brave when it was first released.  It's decent.  Takes a bit of time to block all the Bitcoin tickers and the bitcoin begging from the main page but once you get that done, it's a nice, minimalist browser.

Dissenter is also good.

Word of warning though, both browsers use the unfiltered version of Duckduckgo as the search engine and it doesn't screen out sketchy websites do you'll want to add some extensions that check for malicious websites and make sure you have a good anti-virus prog running. 

airboy

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 26, 2021, 02:28:10 PM
I used Brave when it was first released.  It's decent.  Takes a bit of time to block all the Bitcoin tickers and the bitcoin begging from the main page but once you get that done, it's a nice, minimalist browser.

Dissenter is also good.

Word of warning though, both browsers use the unfiltered version of Duckduckgo as the search engine and it doesn't screen out sketchy websites do you'll want to add some extensions that check for malicious websites and make sure you have a good anti-virus prog running.

Thanks!

W8taminute

Installed Brave on my work computer as it has excellent anti-virus defenses compared to my home computer.

I am liking this browser so far.  Mimics Chrome but much less fancy looking.  I'll continue to evaluate this week.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

I am curious what their business model is. They must be doing something to keep the lights on.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 27, 2021, 10:28:34 AM

I am curious what their business model is. They must be doing something to keep the lights on.

They ask for digital currency donations and sell extensions and add-ons.  It's mostly unobtrusive once you customize the home page.

W8taminute

As far as Brave being faster than Chrome I do agree.  Although on my work computer the performance improvement is not that much better but I suspect this due to our slow network servers.

However running Brave on my phone is better than running chrome.  I can definitely see a performance increase when using my phone off of wi-fi.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

rustyshackleford

I'm using an off-shoot of Brave called "Dissenter" and love it. Screw google, firefox, etc.

z1812

So far I am very pleased with Brave and DuckDuckGo. I will not be returning to Google Chrome.