About 8,000 US troops are deploying to secure evacuations from Kabul

Started by Lowenstaat, August 12, 2021, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on September 01, 2021, 12:48:12 PM
I would actually like to see an investigation into how this evacuation came to be such a CF, and lay the blame accordingly.

And by "lay the blame" I mean identify who made what decisions that made to this mess so that they can stand up and admit, yes I made that decision, it was wrong, and I apologize to the American people.  And then maybe lose their job.

Amen. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MOS:96B2P

I also agreed with leaving Afghanistan.  That's not really the problem.  Most (all?) polls say most Americans wanted to leave.  Many pundits keep repeating the poll results in order to minimize / deflect from the problem.  The problem is removing the Paratroopers and Marines before the women and children.  The problem is giving up key terrain like Bagram Airbase before the women and children and Paratroopers and Marines have left. 

These particular, specific problems were not pre-ordained or made inevitable by the conditional withdrawal agreement.  These problems came later.  It did not have to end this way.  It should not have ended this way.   

America's longest war is not over.  It has barely begun.  The West has all the watches.  The extremists have all the time..........   

GDS_Starfury

they dont seem to have much time at all now as running a country takes a lot of that.
and to claim that "the war has barely begun" is a bit strange.  what war are you talking about?  the war against extremists?  because that wars been going on since US forces first went to the Philippines over 100 years ago.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

solops

The next 3 years will consist of the Afghan hostage crisis and accompanying witch hunt. I predict that the witches will be far more nimble than the inquisitors and that no one, aside from a few peons, will ever be held accountable. Iran again. I saw this show once already. I doubt if the re-make will be any better.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GDS_Starfury

I get where youre coming from, its part of my living history.
my question is who is getting taken hostage and why?  I can see aid workers and such but whos aid workers and why?  and who else?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

From Politico :/

CHINA IS TALIBAN'S "MOST IMPORTANT PARTNER": Taliban spokesperson ZABIHULLAH MUJAHID told an Italian newspaper that the militant group will rely on Chinese financing for their operations.

"China is our most important partner and represents a fundamental and extraordinary opportunity for us, because it is ready to invest and rebuild our country," he told La Repubblica today. There are "rich copper mines in the country, which, thanks to the Chinese, can be put back into operation and modernised. In addition, China is our pass to markets all over the world."

Ties between Beijing and the militants strengthened in recent months, including a high-profile Taliban visit to China in July. And Chinese media in recent days has published commentary essentially saying the government has no choice but to work with the group.

This could all be Taliban posturing, of course. But it's surely a worrying sign in the White House, as financial leverage is one of the few ways the U.S. can compel the Taliban to respect human rights. If the Taliban is flush with Chinese cash, though, then Washington's influence wanes even further.

CHINA'S NEW AMBASSADOR SCALDS U.S. IN MAJOR SPEECH: Speaking at the National Committee on United States-China Relations, QIN GANG offered his most substantive, scathing public remarks since becoming Beijing's most senior envoy to Washington in July, per our own PHELIM KINE.

The "wolf warrior" diplomat warned against violating the Asian power's "red line" of core interests in areas including the South China Sea, Taiwan and Xinjiang. He also nodded to China's nuclear weapons capability and said there would be "disastrous consequences" if the United States seeks to suppress China using a "Cold War playbook."

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

jejo68

Quote from: Uberhaus on September 02, 2021, 08:22:09 PM
The Taliban spokesman is being disingenuous in that article.  Afghanistan is rich in rare earth minerals https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/rare-earth-afghanistan-sits-1-trillion-minerals-n196861

you need peace and stability in a region in order to benefit from this.
And there is far from peace and stability.

And dont forget its no more then a couple weeks ago that a faction of taliban blew up a chinese bus filled chinese workers in Pakistan.

Lowenstaat

NY Times Investigation: In U.S. Drone Strike, Evidence Suggests No ISIS Bomb

The final U.S. air strike in the 20-year war in Afghanistan may have[edit] killed a man who was working for a U.S. aid organization, along with some of his family's children.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/world/asia/us-air-strike-drone-kabul-afghanistan-isis.html

https://www.nytimes.com/video/players/offsite/index.html?videoId=100000007963596
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

When your legal counsel advises you to keep quiet...I'm not sure this is what I would have adopted as a course of action.  I guess this is the poker equivalent of going all-in.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs