Social media services outage

Started by al_infierno, October 04, 2021, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Toonces on October 05, 2021, 11:59:24 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 04, 2021, 09:41:11 PM
'Azzuri.'

Post of the year!   :DD

Wow talk about a blast from the past.  I totally forgot about that guy.  Nice moves Gus!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Feels like olden times around here now 🤓

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Back on topic though.  Do you all think that maybe this "outage" was in fact a secret update to enable hidden features for data collection?  Anyone see the 60 minutes interview with the f-book whistleblower?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dammit Carl!

Possibly.  The "tinfoil hat wearing," side of my belief system thinks that Zuck is more than happy to work hand-in-hand with governments behind the scenes (but proclaiming publicly about how they are an independent company),  so I could see that.

-crazy thing about conspiracies is that they generally start with a grain of truth somewhere.

Jarhead0331

I'm not sure what happened, but the timing of the outage is far too coincidental and therefore suspect. Something is afoot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Agreed. Zuck has a long and well-deserved reputation of not being able to believe anything he says, and very little he actually does.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Sort of off-topic, but I saw a show on Netflix (or Prime) called The Social Dilemma that does an inside look at how these social media sites work by interviewing a bunch of their engineers.  It was absolutely fascinating, and genuinely frightening at the same time.  If you haven't seen it, I very, very strongly recommend it.  It's a very easy and engaging watch.

Also, this is a great article on The Atlantic about the power of Facebook.  The Atlantic is paywalled, but you can access 3 free articles per month so you can read this one if you're interested without a subscription.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/11/facebook-authoritarian-hostile-foreign-power/620168/

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2021, 08:43:39 AM
I'm not sure what happened, but the timing of the outage is far too coincidental and therefore suspect. Something is afoot.

I'm pretty sure the plan is to push for the government to take a hand in censoring speech online.  Anything they deem to be "hateful" or "dangerous" or "medical misinformation" will be blocked.  It'll allow the government to quash dissenting voices and knock out some of FB's competition like Gab, Getter, Telegram, Minds, etc.

The Trudeau regime was pushing hard for this in two separate bills over the summer but it got defeated.  Now that they've been re-elected, they're going to table it again only this time, one of the parties that opposed the bills last time said they'd support it this time around.

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2021, 08:43:39 AM
Yes. I have it on good authority that by some statistical fluke no one, anywhere, had anything to post for six hours, causing the system's automatic administrative monitoring and resource allocation routines to freeze up in confusion until user activity resumed. Advertisers are very concerned.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

CptHowdy

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 06, 2021, 08:37:27 AM
Possibly.  The "tinfoil hat wearing," side of my belief system thinks that Zuck is more than happy to work hand-in-hand with governments behind the scenes (but proclaiming publicly about how they are an independent company),  so I could see that.

-crazy thing about conspiracies is that they generally start with a grain of truth somewhere.

fauci and zuckerberg were emailing each other about how to work together. i would say that's more than a grain of truth.