Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis > Wargaming

Not much Traffic

<< < (3/3)

Phantom:

--- Quote from: W8taminute on October 13, 2021, 01:14:47 PM ---Not to be a trouble maker but the flipside of physical to digital conversions is that it is much harder to visualize the strategic overview of the map in digital format vs. the physical format.  One must have a gi-normous video screen to fit the whole map on screen at a reasonable magnification.

--- End quote ---

I'd agree for some conversions (certainly big map games) where its far easier to get the big picture overview with a glance at the whole map rather than disjointed scrolling, or flipping between multiple screens. That said, for many games - including the ones I've mentioned above, its not such an issue, in fact Pavlov's House for example is a one screen game (IIRC)

Sir Slash:
W8 a troublemaker? Who could conceive such a notion?  ;)  War in the East is the most massive game I've ever played and viewing the on-screen situation is daunting but I can't imagine how long it would take to set-up a physical version of the game.  :o  I love that no matter how big it is, it's always right there on my computer when I want to play it. And with Steam I don't even need the same computer. This is a Golden Age of Wargaming for me.

acctingman:
Nothing (imo) beats moving miniatures across the table. I like a good PC game like the next guy, but the banter that goes along with moving my troops/tanks/minis across the table while I chat with my gaming buddy just cannot be topped.

Brick and mortar stores are dying (for minis). It's all online and the massive influx of 3d printed stuff is slowly killing off the ability to walk into a store and buy most minis (especially WW2 stuff). Lots and lots of Warhammer, but that's not my bag.

I'm even entertaining the idea of getting a 3d printer, but a friend of mine owns one so I throw him a bottle of resin from time to time (and a pizza on me during game sessions) and BOOM. Beautiful mini's that are a fraction of the cost of the retail ones. However, while this liberates my pocket book, I also know that this is hurting the miniatures manufactures out there, so I try and temper it by buying as much stuff as my wallet allows from the game makers.

Karri:
I never got into miniature gaming because it was simply so expensive (and probably is even more expensive now). I don't think it really got much traction beyond USA/UK anyways. Perhaps for WH40K. I did have tons of toy soldiers to play with though.

Boardgames have been replaced by computer games for the most part. The former simply can't go into the same detail as the latter.

acctingman:

--- Quote from: Karri on October 21, 2021, 12:37:37 PM ---I never got into miniature gaming because it was simply so expensive (and probably is even more expensive now). I don't think it really got much traction beyond USA/UK anyways. Perhaps for WH40K. I did have tons of toy soldiers to play with though.

Boardgames have been replaced by computer games for the most part. The former simply can't go into the same detail as the latter.

--- End quote ---

yes, miniature games can be expensive. If you have access to a 3d printer or own one, it is not (beyond the initial setup costs)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version