RobO Q Campaign material version 1.12 for Combat Mission Afrika Korps!

Started by JasonPratt, February 24, 2023, 04:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Update/addition: here's a link to MKSheppard's thread at Battlefront's forum, where he links to massive archives of CMx1 mods, maps, and scenarios he has collected in May 2021: https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=26873.0

All the graphic modes, practically all the new or updated units, and practically any map, should be useable within the rules of the campaign generator.

If you're looking for a topical introduction and/or the ROQC for CMBB, please go to this thread: https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=26827.0

You should find attached to this initial posts three zip files, including the rules (only in pdf because the doc file was a little too large); the spreadsheets for running new campaigns (plus gifs of the single-sheet pages needed to run the campaign manually with pencil and a couple of dice!); and a folder of pre-generated campaigns (described by RobO toward the end of his rules). There is no special map collection with the Afrika Corps Quick Campaign Generator; but as with the other system, you may freely use any CMAK map you wish, created by whomever. Or as the rules somewhat expect, randomly generate (and polish) your own for each combat mission within CMAK itself.

As far as I know all materials are copyright free, and all credit I know of goes to Rob O (whose last name I used to know but sadly have forgotten.) I'm uploading them to Grogheads due to general interest, of course, and also because they seem difficult if not impossible to currently find elsewhere on the internet right now, even at Battlefront.

All files have been scanned by me for viruses as of this date (2/24/23) before uploading. I have not yet re-saved the excel spreadsheet files in a modern version, which could be important since the spreadsheets DO use macros. Hopefully I'll get around to that soon.

For those unfamiliar with the RobO Q Campaign Generator system, you should click over to the link up-post to the sister thread for the CMBB version, and read Rob's own description from his rules. (It's basically the same description in these rules: the only difference is more apology for lots of text this time!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

Man, I used to use this back in the day, was really cool.  Not sure if its been updated since I used them, but it became a chore to edit your spread sheets after every battle.  I still can't believe quality of life functions like this never made it into the UI of battlefront games......but there lies the torment of a combat mission fan.

JasonPratt

Well, Lord knows the Panzer Command games (eventually collected as Ostfront) at Matrix tried their best to fill that need.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 24, 2023, 10:19:13 PMWell, Lord knows the Panzer Command games (eventually collected as Ostfront) at Matrix tried their best to fill that need.

Glad to see the Ostfront shout out... I always thought that game was under appreciated. It also had a very open and well-documented back-end, just begging for modders to exploit it. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

One of the great mysteries of wargaming is how that system fell through the cracks. I guess because infantry couldn't get into buildings? -- a serious design problem, to be sure, but I wonder if that could be modded in...

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 25, 2023, 12:28:12 PMOne of the great mysteries of wargaming is how that system fell through the cracks. I guess because infantry couldn't get into buildings? --
No satchel charges then?  :shocked:

This sounds a bit like the same problem in Theatre of War 1. Very frustrating, I agree.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Talking with AzTank a day or two later, he thinks ToW1 was what had that problem. I haven't loaded up Ostfront in many many years to check.

Stridor

Infantry in PCO definitely could "mount" (enter) buildings.

I agree that it was an under appreciated gem that had some advantages over CMx1 in certain aspects. However coming after CMx1 it had to be a lot better rather than just a little. That's probably why it never achieved success.

smittyohio

Quote from: Stridor on March 04, 2023, 08:10:57 PMInfantry in PCO definitely could "mount" (enter) buildings.

I agree that it was an under appreciated gem that had some advantages over CMx1 in certain aspects. However coming after CMx1 it had to be a lot better rather than just a little. That's probably why it never achieved success.

I remember having problems using tanks against infantry in buildings.  Couldn't seem to destroy the building.  Been a looooong time, though.

Stridor

You could destroy infantry in buildings with either direct fire (easier but still with cover bonuses) or indirect fire (much harder but possible depending on shell type and calibre)

You couldn't destroy the buildings though.

JasonPratt

DesertFox

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 25, 2023, 12:28:12 PMOne of the great mysteries of wargaming is how that system fell through the cracks. I guess because infantry couldn't get into buildings? -- a serious design problem, to be sure, but I wonder if that could be modded in...

I agree with this 1,000%  I've had so much fun with that series and I still occasionally fire it up to this day.  I've even contacted the guy who seems to be the single person trying to keep it alive (a guy named Rickier on the Matrix forums I think) about working on it for free just to push it forward.
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual