The Supreme Commander

Started by TheCommandTent, October 12, 2012, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

So I was wondering what some of you other guys thought about The Supreme Commander boardgame we covered in our recent GARPA article

Here is the link to the games P500 on GMT's website  http://www.gmtgames.com/p-278-the-supreme-commander.aspx

While writing about game my interest was piqued.  Now I might get lynched for saying this but from reading about the game it seems like a more in depth and detailed Axis&Allies Europe.  Its not an intro to WWII games like A&A was for me growing up but it seems like it might take the same theater of operations to the next level of enjoyment for me.  Just interested to hear from some more experienced boardgamers thoughts on this.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Honestly? I am not looking for another WWII strategic board game. My money is currently being plowed into minis and PC games. And books.

If anything is left over I buy food.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on October 12, 2012, 08:57:45 PM
Honestly? I am not looking for another WWII strategic board game. My money is currently being plowed into minis and PC games. And books.

If anything is left over I buy food.

Sounds like a solid plan.  :D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Rekim

I suspect that The Supreme Commander will reside a couple of steps higher up on the Grognard food chain than the likes of Axis & Allies. This is no knock against A&A as it is extremely fun for what it is, and more recent editions of A&A have added quite a bit of meat. Both games include concepts like economics, industrial production, and technology advancement. A&A applies the absolute crudest treatment to these systems. I suspect that Supreme Commander will take a more detailed approach to these and other aspects that the two systems share. Plus, SC has hexes  8)

My impression is that Supreme Commander will fit somewhere in between A&A and a more technical grand strategy game of the period like Advanced Third Reich. Probably closer to the A&A side of the scale mind you.

GJK

I'm glad that I saw this thread - that game looks like what I'm trying to make with an "Enhanced" Hitler's War.  I will definitely have to look into this game.  $45 for a P500 is a great price for a 2-mapper.  Reading the comments on CSW and looking at the rules; it looks good to me.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer