UP FRONT REPRINT - NO I'M NOT KIDDING!

Started by bayonetbrant, November 20, 2012, 06:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Yeah, this has been ongoing for months now. And it's been odd the whole time. I don't understand why in the world Phil Sauer decided to take this to the court of public opinion...okay, I DO get why, but I'd be willing to bet anything his lawyers didn't know he was doing so. Seems unlikely they'd be on board with him sharing information to the degree that he has previously.

Beyond that, Up Front MIGHT turn out to be declared a property of Radiant Games since it was under that roof from the very beginning of fundraising.

The Reiner Knizia issue was completely separate and had something to do with copies still being sold of games that Valley might not have still had distribution rights for. That seems to have completely vanished though, so maybe their pulling the product put an end to it?

Barthheart

Oh man... 60+ pages at BGG about this.... people continue to surprise me in what they can "infere" from posts, non-posts, hints and innuendo...  :P

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on March 19, 2013, 02:07:30 PMOh man... 60+ pages at BGG about this.... people continue to surprise me in what they can "infere" from posts, non-posts, hints and innuendo...  :P

It's BGG - that's what you get.

I was accused of having a caustic attitude here
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/943437/march-mayhem-voting-land-combat-commanders

::)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

I was getting sucked into the BGG void regarding the Up Front (non)re-print as well.  I'm still keeping the faith that it will get released.  These updates came out just today:

Posted by Rik Falch 

Hello supporters.

I realize there has been a lot of paperwork posted online by the plaintiff in his suit against Radiant Gaming.

Radiant has, of course, retained legal counsel in this matter and our counsel has advised we not make any disparaging comments regarding the validity or invalidity of any of the comments being made in the public forum.
However, let us be very clear that Radiant Gaming is perfectly viable and plans to proceed with business.

Having said this, please be patient and allow the legal process to work itself out before jumping to any conclusions about what has been stated publicly so far.

Once we have filed our responses, they will be of public domain and you will then see the full picture.
And this update regarding the German infantry cards:

But I may give it a 50-50 chance of getting printed whereas before I was at 75% that it wouldn't.

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

seems like the issue isn't one of print/don't print, but who gets paid what, leaving whatever money available to get to the printer

AFAIK, no one is trying to take ownership of the game, but is instead trying to claim that they are due some of the money for it

am I wrong?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 19, 2013, 03:26:27 PM
seems like the issue isn't one of print/don't print, but who gets paid what, leaving whatever money available to get to the printer

AFAIK, no one is trying to take ownership of the game, but is instead trying to claim that they are due some of the money for it

am I wrong?

The plaintiff isn't going after money from Up Front or any specific product. He apparently loaned something like $300,000 to Valley Games over numerous payments, and he's gone to court to try to get that back. So the question is : Is Radiant Gaming actually a company independent of Valley, or is it a handy little shell that Valley shunted resources in to?

Quote from: Barthheart on March 19, 2013, 02:07:30 PM
Oh man... 60+ pages at BGG about this.... people continue to surprise me in what they can "infere" from posts, non-posts, hints and innuendo...  :P

Yeah, there are a lot of self appointed legal experts blathering back and forth at each other, mixed with the usual BGG passive aggressive trolling crap.

GJK

Right - as I understand it, what company/companies are on the hook for that loan (if either/any) and if either/or get zapped for that money, will any of it come out of the KS funding for past and current projects (including Up Front) and if so would that then leave enough to actually make the print run plus extras as promised.  Lots of "ifs" in there.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

yeah, every time I got near the BBG forums, I'm reminded of why I hate so much of the internet, and why I'm so happy we have our own Principality of Grogland set up over here where people are, for the most part, far less douchey

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 19, 2013, 04:07:28 PM
yeah, every time I got near the BBG forums, I'm reminded of why I hate so much of the internet, and why I'm so happy we have our own Principality of Grogland set up over here where people are, for the most part, far less douchey

From the link:

QuoteAfter the 2006 fire, both towers were gutted. However, the platform has since been completely rebuilt, with railings, floors and underpadding to keep birds from nesting under the platform (finished early 2007). The building has been completely remodeled and expanded, this includes a new roof/helicopter pad with new directing lights. The building includes a two-bedroom, one-bathroom, kitchen, living room, Royal Palace; and a one-bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room, employees' suite. The building also has a one-room chapel, public bathroom, security office, Parliament office/rec room, small store, and the office of the Bureau of Domestic and International Affairs (finished late 2007). Then in mid-2008 a new generator was installed, as well as two new life boats and a pulley system. At the same time repairs were carried out on the artillery piece.
:D

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Holy crap!

So, this whole mess has been working it's way through the civil court system. One of the BGG guys actually did a great job throwing together a summarization post of evidence accepted by the court, and good lord : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11936088#11936088

They basically have Valley/Radiant nailed dead bang with trying to move money and inventory around to avoid seizure. 'Better' yet, they actually got emails between the company heads planning to back date transfers for various properties to Radiant so that it appeared to happen before the original court finding in favor of the plaintiff. And it's been put forth that Valley did, in fact, own the rights to Up Front perhaps as far back as 2008.

Forget the money. These guys are going to be lucky to avoid being brought up on criminal charges.

And if you did contribute to Up Front or Airborne in my Pocket...yeah, you're probably hosed.

GJK

And interestingly, updates from the Kickstarter project keep coming out, including 3 updates yesterday that had links to the updated rules (proposed) and new artwork (see: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/up-front-the-card-game/posts/449390). 

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the project gets printed and shipped.  While some of the court documents may be in the public domain, I don't believe that we have all of the evidence and know all of the facts behind case.  We shall see though.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

wow - that just makes Curtis's self-inflicted soap opera look like the juvenile high school pablum that it truly was.

Double Deuce

Geez, that just gets weirder each day. I'd love to see an Up Front reprint but man, talk about some bumps in the road.

LongBlade

Sheesh. Why can't people just get along?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I must be missing something.  Although who the hell would pledge $2,500 or more?