Small Scale Solitaire Infantry Boardgames?

Started by JudgeDredd, February 21, 2013, 06:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

As the title - any exist? I'd love to have a small scale infantry boardgame

I know of Ambush! but cannot seem to find a copy anywhere.

I guess Lock n Load might be one publisher? If so - any particular game? I'm not fussed whether it's WWII or modern - so long as it's small scale

So mentions of any others would be nice.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

I'm currently working on a boardgame conversion that utilizes the advanced combat system from Phoenix Command RPG. The system will utilize play aids that will minimize all the chart referencing.

Otherwise, I'm not a fan of Ambush.  Looking up paragraphs for every freaking hex entered gets old to me.  WEG's Soldiers looks pretty good.  I have copy a copy but have not played it.  There's a copy up for sale for $10 on the CSW marketplace. 

AH Firepower is probably the most tactical game out there.  I'm assuming that you're looking for individual men/crew level. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Lock 'n Load series is my favourite squad level tactical game series right now. I have all of the WWII stuff and all the WWIII stuff.
Band of Heroes and Heroes of the Blitzkreig are WWII base games. BoH might be hard to find.
Forgotten Heroes is the base game for Vietnam, also hard to find.
Heroes of the Gap is base game for WWIII, great fun with M1's and T72's. These tend to be larger battles ie more counters.
Day of Heroes is base game for Somolia, think Black Hawk Down. Very interesting scenarios.

Just got Sergants Miniature Game: Day of Days and Road to Caretan. Individual soldiers. Battles up to about 3 squads worth.

There's always ASL starter Kits, they get really good reviews as a way into ASL.

JudgeDredd

Not necessarily individual men - perhaps squad leve is more what I'm looking for.

Simple is a good key word. My memory isn't great so anything that requires a considerable amount of memory storage wouldn't be a good choice (I'm thinking (from what I recall of Avalon Hill games) that they would not qualify)

I used to have an AH game about tank warfare...MBT? Individual tanks I believe. Anyway - it was way too complicated for me to play...so never got round to it.

I still have to get into World at War Blood and Bridges. What's actually holding me up here is I need a strong "board" to put the mounted map on. I only have a small table in my room, so I need a nice strong thick piece of cardboard or wood to sit the mounted map on...so I haven't managed to get into it yet.

But something piqued my interest re small scale infantry combat - and as it's my birthday soon, I thought "why not?"...

I see Lock n Load has Band of Heroes and A Day of Heroes might be the ticket?
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Thanks BH. I was also thinking LnL

I saw Band of Heroes Second Edition for £38 - so I might pony up for that...maybe Day of Heroes or Forgotten Heroes if I can find it.

Thanks.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

The LnL series is easy on the brain... at least once you learn it. Some people have a bit of trouble with the conversational style that the rule book is written in. However there is a great series of vids on BGG that show how the game is played. Go watch them to see if it's your cup of tea. I was just at a tourney and we had to use the rule book maybe 1/2 a dozen time in the 4 days of playng.

If you are looking for something interesting and different go for Day of Heroes.

TheCommandTent

Another vote for LnL Band of Heroes.  Once you make it through the rule book and play a game or two it clicks and then it is alot of fun!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GJK

The Day of Heroes rules gave me fits.  As much as I wanted to play it, I wound up selling it.

Another that I forgot about (that is a true solitaire game) is GMT's Fields of Fire.  I heard that it's an intense game (the bomb!) but the rules are a mess (better in v2).  I'm awaiting the new reprint that is supposed to clean it up (preordered already).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jack Nastyface

Not to be pedantic (but I will be so, anyways) but are you looking for:
a) a true SOLITAIRE game...one where the game rules and mechanics are specifically designed to be played ideally by one person (and two-person games therefore are a variation of the rules) or,
b)  a game that can be played SOLO...means, a game that was designed to be played by at least two players, but with minor rule changes, modifications, or simple "Point-of-view" shift, can be played by one player?

Also...do you want something that is true boardgame...or can it be virtual game on your PC?
Also also...there are some great rules (not too hard to figure out) that are written for miniatures but could be played with home-made counters...any interest in that?
Also x 3...any interest in a melieu or age beyond those mentioned (wwii and modern)?  any interest in stuff about ships, planes, tank - themed games
And finally...any preference on expansion, add-ons, etc?  Meaning...some great solitaire games focus on a single event (Rourke's Drift, St. Nazaire, the Battle of Britain), which of course is very different than, say LnL.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

bob48

Conflict of Heroes games are excellent squad level games with very nice components and a very dynamic system which is a breeze to learn.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Capn Darwin

LnL also has Space Infantry. A solitaire game with various missions and bad guys.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bob48

Or if you want to go to platoon level, then LnL's Nations at War series is absolutely the best :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

lol - ok - America woke up  ;)

Right -

GJK
why did Day of Heroes give you fits? The rules? Scenarios? Something else?

Jack NastyFace (love that name)
I prefer solitaire - but I can do with solo so long as the house rules are not too difficult to implement
I prefer true bordgame. Moreover, I do not want miniatures. I really prefer the look and feel of chits - and no home made stuff. I need the art - and good art too
I'm only really interested in WWII and anything after - most especially Vietnam, Cold War, Falklands. Mainly I would like squad level, possibly at most platoon. At the minute I'm not interested in anything naval or air campaigns (I have my leader games for air!)
No preference to whether there are expansions or not - as long as the game has replayability.

bob48
I totally forgot I had Conflict of Heroes (which I now have on PC now that they have implemented the boardgame look and rules) however I do recall something that stopped me playing the boardgame and why I was looking forward to a PC game - some of the scenarios have mines/pre-determines arty fire etc - and whilst I can profess to saying I CAN play a 2 player game solo wothout ANY bias, those parts are kind of tricky!
But I will keep in mind I have that.

Capn Darwin
Not at all interested in anything sci-fi I'm afraid

bob48
Platoon level could be a consideration. How do you rate Nations at War over Day of Heroes or Band of Heroes?

Thanks all.

I'm definitely leaning to Band/Day of Heroes...or possibly another WaW game.

One other question - any Falklands games out there. I had heard of one that went out of print...can't remember the name...but are there any others?
Alba gu' brath

Capn Darwin

Ring of Hills from LnL covers the Falklands conflict. Same system as Heroes of the Gap and other Lock n load systemg games.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

JudgeDredd

Having trouble finding it in Google for sale in the UK - looks like the thing I'm looking for - though I wouldn't be too averse to a complete Falklands campaign game - naval, air and ground combat
Alba gu' brath