Small Scale Solitaire Infantry Boardgames?

Started by JudgeDredd, February 21, 2013, 06:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Nastyface

I hadn't seen the first one, before...thanks...that's a great one.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Arctic Blast

No problem, guys.

As Barthheart said in the other thread, once you have the moment where the light bulb comes on over your head, you'll pretty much never refer to the rules again.

And the great thing is that once you learn one of the Heroes series, you know the basic rule set for all of them. You'll still need to learn module specific stuff like helos and missiles, but you'll understand the nuts and bolts of how it all works.

JudgeDredd

I found the bit about damage not being inflicted until both sides were resolved - it's Melee...not normal or Op Fire.

My bad and thanks for poiting that out Ubercat.
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Quote from: GJK on February 28, 2013, 10:17:21 PM
Speaking of solitaire games - and it's been mentioned - but who's the big Carrier player here?  I believe he uses VASSAL.  I'd love to get some of his VASSAL logs so that I can jog my memory on how to play it again.  That is one fun game but very rules heavy.

That's probably me, but I don't have any log files right now I don't think.  I never got further than scenario 3 or 4. 

But I've been thinking of getting back into it.  I'll hang onto the log files this time around.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rekim

Quote from: Toonces on March 16, 2013, 03:21:30 PM
Quote from: GJK on February 28, 2013, 10:17:21 PM
Speaking of solitaire games - and it's been mentioned - but who's the big Carrier player here?  I believe he uses VASSAL.  I'd love to get some of his VASSAL logs so that I can jog my memory on how to play it again.  That is one fun game but very rules heavy.

That's probably me, but I don't have any log files right now I don't think.  I never got further than scenario 3 or 4. 

But I've been thinking of getting back into it.  I'll hang onto the log files this time around.

Carrier is in my regular rotation of solitaire games but haven't used VASSAL with it much and have no logfiles to share.

If you need some motivation for dusting your copy off I suggest you check out the updated map which is available for download on BGG:

Rekim

Also worth pointing out that GMT Games announced a new edition of the Fields of Fire earlier this month:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-432-fields-of-fire-vol-ii-with-the-old-breed.aspx

Volume II appears to be a completely new game, not to be confused with version 2 of the original game (also on GMTs P500 list)

bob48

Fields of Fire looks like an interesting system.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GJK

@Rekim: I've seen that redraw, I'll have to download and have a copy printed.  He did a great job spicing up the charts and carrier layouts around the map.  I've redrawn the Carrier map and counters so many times it makes my eyes cross over.  It's such a basic, simple almost bland map that works perfectly for the game.  It's very easy to recreate.  Here's a sample that I did just messing around for some "Google Earth" effects.  I think this may be the map in the ZunTzu module actully. 

At any rate, if you do ever decide to try Carrier on VASSAL and could create same game logs from it - that would be an awesome learning/re-learning tool!

Edit:  I just noticed that there's video's going through a number of turns of Carrier posted on the Geek!

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: Rekim on March 16, 2013, 07:24:54 PM
Also worth pointing out that GMT Games announced a new edition of the Fields of Fire earlier this month:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-432-fields-of-fire-vol-ii-with-the-old-breed.aspx

Volume II appears to be a completely new game, not to be confused with version 2 of the original game (also on GMTs P500 list)
I've pre-ordered both the reprint of Vol. I and the new Vol II.  I've heard too many good things about it.  I was watching the videos on BGG where the guy goes from setup and plays a number of turns.  Gives a very good idea of how the game plays (obviously) if you're on the fence about it.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Quote from: GJK on March 17, 2013, 09:18:37 AM
@Rekim: I've seen that redraw, I'll have to download and have a copy printed.  He did a great job spicing up the charts and carrier layouts around the map.  I've redrawn the Carrier map and counters so many times it makes my eyes cross over.  It's such a basic, simple almost bland map that works perfectly for the game.  It's very easy to recreate.  Here's a sample that I did just messing around for some "Google Earth" effects.  I think this may be the map in the ZunTzu module actully. 

At any rate, if you do ever decide to try Carrier on VASSAL and could create same game logs from it - that would be an awesome learning/re-learning tool!

Edit:  I just noticed that there's video's going through a number of turns of Carrier posted on the Geek!

Wow, impressive looking map that you threw together there.

As for getting back into Carrier; IMHO the single best feature of the game is the turn sequence chart/markers. The way that the chart/rules are laid out it is entirely possible to jump into a game while still rusty and reference the rules while working through each step in the turn sequence.

The next time I have a quiet stretch of night shifts I'll see about firing up CV on VASSAL and post the logfile. I usually play at home and prefer to use the board game.