Attn: Rekim- Carrier

Started by GJK, May 24, 2013, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Oh, and I guess I should offer, but the Hitler's War map that I recreated might go good with this special.  I paid $50 to have it printed and laminated; I might make a backup copy at that discounted rate.  I can make the file available to anybody that might be interested.  Here's an ugly iPhone picture of the map in play:  http://garykrockover.com/uploads/HW-2.jpg
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Quote from: GJK on May 31, 2013, 08:19:49 PM
Well unfortunately, it's only at 72dpi and uses a scan of the original map along with his recreated carrier displays and charts.  Even at $15 I think I'll pass.  The map was easy enough to recreate once so I'll most likely do it again at some point (but at 300dpi and probably slightly enlarged hexes).  But let us know how yours comes out; I'm sure that it'll look pretty darn good, even at 72dpi.

A 300dpi scan would be sweet, but would result in a massive file size. Most of the online print shops I visited (ie. Staples) wouldn't accept the Carrier map at the current resolution due to file size restrictions (30MB seems to be the standard limit). Working with 300dpi is likely to be expensive.

Earlier this year I was considering a purchase of this deluxe map for Blocks in the East, but passed on it due to cost (~$100). It is 120% oversized, 720dpi and protected with Gortex. I now realize it wasn't such a bad deal after all. Assuming I could get some use out of it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/911241/goretex-120-deluxe-map-available-again

GJK

720dpi?  Wow.  I'll have to run upstairs and look but I think the file size for the HW map that I did was around 60mb and it prints out at around 32" on both sides (almost square).  Kinko's had no problems printing it but as mentioned, it was a bit pricey (though I did opt for having them laminate it with a matte lamination that is sweet!).

I'm sure that I'll redraw the Carrier map again at some point; it's just too tempting now that I know that I can get it printed and laminated.  May have to be in two sheets though but not sure, I'd have to measure it out.  I *think* Kinko's said that they could go to 35" wide and as long as you need because they have a wide printer that has a roll of paper feeding into it.  At least this one here does.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

I finally got my recently printed 3rd party Carrier map to the table. It looks fantastic; heavy stock and crisp clear quality.

The new map was an inch deeper (24x36'') than my wargaming bench, requiring an upgrade (hence the delay). I bought a couple of 12x96'' pine planks to replace the old plywood bench top.

GJK

That looks really good in your pictures - where did you get it printed out and how much did that cost (if you don't mind me asking)?  I'd like to get a copy printed and laminated.  I had that done for the Hitler's War map that I drew.  It was a bit pricey (about $60) but it's a nicely laminated map that will last forever.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

I tried to take some close-up shots to show the fine detail but failed due to plexi glass and crappy ipad camera. It looks better than I'd expected though. Much better than the original with the larger size, extra details and improved graphics/colours.

I had it printed at an online shop called Zazzle for $22, including shipping. I waited until they had a 50% off sale on poster printing.

GJK

I'll have to look for the next sale that they have then - thanks for the info!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Dolan50

Google Fighhting Flattops.I think you may find this free on line WW2 Pacific carrier wargame of interest also.
It's a human to human turned based game based mainly on the boardgame Flattop,but IMHO much better.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Staggerwing

I actually played that for a few weeks back a year or two ago. I was a bit underwhelmed. IIRC I was in 3 or 4 matches and after about a week no one else was sending in any turns. I ended up changing my status to away (or whatever it was) and have not looked at the site since. Is it more active now?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Dolan50

Don't know.
Its been a year since I played.The war in the Pacific was kind of a passing fad for me until I discovered Achtung Panzer Operation Star,now I'm engrossed in the Russo-German war.
I got into Fighting Flattops pretty heavy for a year or so and designed some campaign scenarios for the game,but lost interest.There a few guys that play regularly,check who has the most games going on those are usually the guys who follow up on their turns.I played 2 guys regulary-Bobby and Lindsey.Don't know if their still active but they know the game and played daily.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".