B-17 Grog Wagon: Mission Logs (AAR)

Started by PanzersEast, January 24, 2014, 10:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Con on February 03, 2014, 05:04:18 PM
That means of the original crew only the co pilot was left alive after 12 missions. 

I FEEL UNREASONABLY CONFIDENT!!!  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 04, 2014, 09:46:03 AM
Quote from: Con on February 03, 2014, 05:04:18 PM
That means of the original crew only the co pilot was left alive after 12 missions. 

I FEEL UNREASONABLY CONFIDENT!!!  ;D

Wrong Grog... PE is our Mission coordinator, not Con...    drink Mate?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

PanzersEast

MISSION FOR TODAY

Barthheart

DennisS

Nice thread. Let me share a true Grognard's obsession here.    :uglystupid2:

St. Omer is the easiest mission there is. Lille is range four, if memory serves me correctly.

For my B-17: QotS game, I got out a map, and some history on German industry during the war, and set up missions out to range ... 13.

I had 200 targets total, over ten different types, and ran daily missions of 36 bombers. I had 360 crew, that I kept meticulous track of..all their injuries, all their kills, all their missions. For bombadiers, I rotated them into the lead bomber if they had the highest bombing percentage. Lucky them. Every mission had a low bomber, who was the trailer. They very, VERY rarely survived a long mission. Poor bastards!

Over a 20+ year period or so, I ran (and kept statistics for) just over eleven thousand missions. I didn't need the charts, I had them completely memorized, until eventually, I worked out the mathematics of the entire game.  I used 4 different colored ten sided dice, and I would roll once on my combat table for each zone for each bomber. Actually, this was more of a wall chart, with ten thousand different combinations of damage.

Relatively easy to determine the chances for the number of attackers, and work that into a distribution curve. At to this the number of attacks, average number of shots, average number of damage rolls, hit location by percentage, and within that, location damage and severity. This also included repeat attacks, ME-110's, positional disadvantages, etc.

The chart gave you the number of die rolls on the damage chart. First roll was number of damage rolls, the second was the for-real damage. The chart took in all the mission parameters, and all possible combinations of attacks, worked into an attack result to four digits. 7331 was different than 1590. Generally, the higher number, the worse the result!!! Color priority was always red-white-blue-green, and all die rolls were for greater than "superficial damage." I had backed out those percentage chances already..and saved a ton of rolls doing it. The dreaded BIP result, or Bombs exploding were very high up in the 9 thousands. An engine out had over a hundred chances to occur, out of ten thousand possibilities. Easily.

Each squadron's mission was tracked on one single 8x11 sheet, with wounds, ammo, damage, and landing/bombing modifiers tracked, as well as their relative position within the formation.

I have to say that of all the games I have ever played, this game must rank as the one most played.

My finest Airman, by far, was a top turret gunner with ... 36(!) kills. I made him re-up for the second 25. The next most, ever, had eight, and I only had three aces in all the time I played.

The first several thousand missions were played in strict accordance with the rulebook. The last ... eight? thousand or so were with my newest version. Kill rates, death rates, bombing rates were all well within acceptable norms..if anything a little worse, as I had targets another 300km deeper into Axis territory.

Oh..using the same range circle distances, I created another base in Italy. Lot easier to hit the Romanian oil fields!!!

Staggerwing

Very impressive. O0

Lemme guess- you work out odds for a living. Insurance claim forecasting? Professional gambler? Meteorologist?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DennisS

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2014, 09:04:18 PM
Very impressive. O0

Lemme guess- you work out odds for a living. Insurance claim forecasting? Professional gambler? Meteorologist?

By training, I am a meteorologist.

PanzersEast

JOURNAL OF THE GROGWAGON
MISSION #2

It was early morning with a slight overcast sky above.  The sun was just rising off to the east and all that was on the crews mind was why the sudden meeting last night.  Of course the men speculated why Capt. PanzersEast, Co Pilot: Lieut. Jason Pratt,  Bombardier  Lieut. Banzai_Cat and the Nav Lieut. Windigo were called into the briefing shack late yesterday afternoon and there was talk of ordinance changes to the 17s.  Regardless we all rode out to the line to prep for our mission for the day and to find out exactly what they entailed.

TacticalWargames

PanzersEast

jomni

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 07, 2014, 03:57:57 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 07, 2014, 01:51:24 PM
Here is the PC B17 emulator.

It can be used if you are all in an online squadron as it follows the boardgame rules.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C4BFD59463A5DFCE!196&authkey=!ABOGeh8ZJ149uLo&ithint=file%2czip

Guide on how to use it..

http://prestonm.com/military/B17QotS/doc/B17Introduction.html

Thanks for the link!   O0

PE

I tired that but you lose all the immersion since all is automated.  You just keep clicking stuff.

PanzersEast

I have lost a couple of files that had my missions on them.... so at this point I may do a restart in the AAR forum..... sorry for that, but will have to redo and re-write with maybe a little more flair.  I also plain to not do the softer missions at the beginning and jump right into the thick of it......  I'm working on a couple of new graphics for the AAR, so stay tuned.

PE