D-Day at Omaha Beach - Solitaire AAR

Started by ArizonaTank, February 15, 2014, 06:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

Great AAR for one of the best solo boardgames.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: TacticalWargames on March 20, 2014, 03:57:06 PM
Great AAR for one of the best solo boardgames.

Thanks, more coming.  And yes, I love this game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Turn 9

Minor drift in 1st Div sector.  However, the DUKW artillery starts to attempt landing.  These were amphibious 2 ½ ton trucks moving artillery pieces (see http://www.transchool.lee.army.mil/museum/transportation%20museum/dukw.htm ).  Historically many of the DUKWs were swamped in the heavy seas.  In the game, the DUKW Can 116 is completely lost at landing.  Two other artillery units 7/1/A, and 111 FA each lose a step.  WN66 is putting too much accurate fire out, so I decide to delay AB 467 and AT/116, an anti-tank and an anti-air unit.

The event card is not bad.  The 29th gets a hero, Major Bingham.  However, WN66 is also reinforced.  German fire is heavy and effective again.  WN65 takes a step from 7FA.  G/2/116 already shot up, takes its last step and is eliminated.  WN65 also chops up H/2/16, A/1/16, each losing a step.  WN72 disrupts one of the hero units; bad news since I was counting on it to help me clear another bunker. 

For the real story of Major Bingham, please follow this link: 
http://www.29infantrydivision.org/WWII-Stories/Bingham_Sidney.htm  Distinguished Service Cross citation

Despite the problems, progress is made.  WN61 is disrupted by tank fire.   And A/1/116 assaults and takes out WN71.  29th Div making progress.  The center of 29th Division beach is clear of enemy fire since the WN are either disrupted or knocked out.  1st Division is making only slow progress.  WN65 really chopped up units in front of it.

General Cota's effect on the beach can not be under-stated.  He is allowing the tank units to put down a constant barrage, disrupting the WN points that have not fallen.  For a quick reenactment of the real General Cota's exploits on the beach see:  http://www.ahctv.com/battles-history/videos/surviving-d-day-turning-point.htm

Turn 10

Another tough landing turn.  1st Division has units delayed or destroyed during landing.  29th Division has several delayed or disrupted.  The event card is a good one however.  Each division gets an extra action.  Finally, I can break up some of these very nasty WN strong-points. 

German fire does not let-up.  They don't seem to have heard that they have lost the war.  F/2/16 takes step and causes a catastrophic point.  WN66 does terrible damage in 29th sector.  111FA loses step, 397 AA is shattered and L/3/116 loses its last step.     

In the 1st Division sector.  The unit with Barret, attacks and takes out reinforcement hex, all necessary to start clearing the draw.  In the 29th sector, WN68 is assaulted and taken.  29th making real progress.

The end of turn 10 in the 29th Division sector.  Two WN points cleared in the last two turns.  The 29th is getting off the beach!

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Boggit

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 11, 2014, 04:56:36 AM
Quote from: Boggit on March 09, 2014, 11:59:41 AM
A really entertaining AAR. I haven't done much boardgaming for years (save for a couple of games... :-\), 97% of my gaming is on the PC/Mac, and this really got me thinking about it again. It looks both involved, but not excessively complex. Thanks very much ArizonaTank :) for sharing! :D I look forward to the rest of your AAR as it develops. 8)

Glad you are enjoying it.  I will start up again shortly...  Until a few years ago, I was exclusively a "PC" wargamer as well.  I grew up on board games, but switched to PCs early on.  Anyway, I started playing board games on Vassal recently, and this has really been the tool that brought me back to board based wargaming.  Several of the large game companies fully support Vassal:  MMP and GMT being two prominent examples.  While most of the old AH titles are available as well. 

The system is great.  It's free (but you can donate), and supports all types of board games.  It is very flexible, allowing for live play over the internet (many players use along with Skype for voice).  Also you can do PBEM, or go back and forth between modes.  You can also just use as a virtual game board.  Great for people like me who don't have space to leave a board up while I play solitaire.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check it out:
www.vassalengine.org
Thanks for that. I've just favourited it. I have a mass of boardgames packed away from when I was a teen to my early 20's, but I stopped playing them as much for a lack of opponents/space/having it all knocked about after a few days etc, which is why I was seduced into PC gaming which I do almost exclusively now. I'll check it out. I don't suppose people still play SPI, AH, and Victory games on Vassal or do I just not get out much??? ;) ;D
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Boggit on March 22, 2014, 12:20:55 PM
Thanks for that. I've just favourited it. I have a mass of boardgames packed away from when I was a teen to my early 20's, but I stopped playing them as much for a lack of opponents/space/having it all knocked about after a few days etc, which is why I was seduced into PC gaming which I do almost exclusively now. I'll check it out. I don't suppose people still play SPI, AH, and Victory games on Vassal or do I just not get out much??? ;) ;D

The old AH games and many Victory games are available.  SPI is another issue.  I don't know all the details, but whomever owns the rights, asked that vassal modules not be hosted.  However, some SPI games are available on sites supporting Cyberboard another virtual game engine. 

Yes, folks do play the old games with these tools.  I am currently playing two games of AH's The Russian Campaign, and one game of AH's The Guns of August.   

If you want to try the old games and PBEM, I recommend the "Avalon Hill International Kriegspiel Society (AHIKS),  https://www.ahiks.com/AHIKS/Home.html

A great way to find PBEM opponents for the old stuff...and the new as well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

DV8

ArizonaTank,

Your excellent AAR has spurred my on to purchase the game.  Thanks for your efforts!
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

GroggyGrognard

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin