Germany - Plot to Overthrow the German Government 2022

Started by ArizonaTank, December 07, 2022, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Just when you thought 2022 couldn't get more chaotic...

Nationwide arrests in Germany over plot to overthrow the German Government.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Holy Moses...can we not call it an attempted...'putsch'? History just keeps on rhyming. This is nuts.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Doesn't seem very realistic to me. I love how they already spin them as "terrorists" though. Maybe they are, but it's certainly a powerful term meant to discredit and justify extreme measures.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

52 people are accused to belong to this cell. 25 of them were arrested including:

A former member of parliament (AFD) and current judge in Berlin
    A retired Colonel and founding member of the elite Bundeswehr special forces unit "KSK"
    A current logistics officer of the elite Bundeswehr special forces unit "KSK"
    Serving and retired soldiers and cops

But yeah, seems pretty delusional to think this would actually accomplish anything.  Presumably they believed the military and general public would side with them?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

60 Minutes did an in-depth piece about a year ago (I think) on how German special forces, police and regular army have been 'riddled' with these types for years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2022, 12:47:37 PM
60 Minutes did an in-depth piece about a year ago (I think) on how German special forces, police and regular army have been 'riddled' with these types for years.

They claim the same thing about the US Military. Some stupid Marine draws a bunch of dicks in the shape of a swastika on the wall in a portable toilet and its treated as a domestic extremist incident.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

There are those types all over the place but usually they are too stupid to be a threat to anything, IMHO.

I get the same vibe with this story in Germany but there is a slightly more serious undercurrent, even if the sheer number of these people amongst the rest of the population is tiny.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

^No doubt that an organized plot involving former members of government, judges, high ranking military officers and specialized military forces could represent a serious threat to the current regime. Again, without knowing the facts regarding intentions, motivations and commitments, I think its premature to label them as "terrorists" or classify the group as a credible threat actively engaged in plotting a coup. Regrettably, i do not follow German politics.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I do, as an admitted amateur, only because I find German politics interesting if not overly complicated. And from a historical angle.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Ok, I feel like I'm reading a Bond novel

According to Sky News the ringleader was Heinrich XIII, a descendant of the old German Monarchy. 

The German news site Bild reports he was in contact with a Russian known as "Natalia A" and was negotiating with the Russians for immediate recognition of the restoration of the German monarchy and a mutual defense treaty separate from NATO.

Heinrich XIII is the monarch recognized by the Reichsburger movement, which is a pro-imperial, pro-military restoration group that has been noted in its calls for and incidents of violence.

This is wild.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Hohenzollerns?

Well at least we can be sure they aren't Nazis...  ::) 
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Also, photos of Natalia might be useful.

In case she tries something else elsewhere.

:coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 07, 2022, 03:00:46 PM
Ok, I feel like I'm reading a Bond novel

According to Sky News the ringleader was Heinrich XIII, a descendant of the old German Monarchy. 

The German news site Bild reports he was in contact with a Russian known as "Natalia A" and was negotiating with the Russians for immediate recognition of the restoration of the German monarchy and a mutual defense treaty separate from NATO.

Heinrich XIII is the monarch recognized by the Reichsburger movement, which is a pro-imperial, pro-military restoration group that has been noted in its calls for and incidents of violence.

This is wild.

If he has a fluffy cat...that he pets as he thinks about his diabolical plans...I think I'll just start laughing and not be able to stop...except this is real...I think?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 07, 2022, 03:05:51 PM
Hohenzollerns?

Well at least we can be sure they aren't Nazis...  ::)

House Reuss apparently.  That's the last active branch of the old line. 

ABC reports that he's been arrested as well, and there's no indication that the Russians had made any firm agreements to the ringleaders proposals.   It seems by reports (also ABC) the Reichsburgers reached out to the Russians, not vice versa. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback