RC Boating Mis-Adventures

Started by MIGMaster, August 05, 2012, 01:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

A couple of years ago I met some guys who did RC battles. There are guys who outfit their ships with BB guns and sail around hammering the crap out of each others' ships. It looks like a good time, though I suspect one needs to beware of collateral damage...as well as the repair costs.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on August 06, 2012, 11:51:08 AM
A couple of years ago I met some guys who did RC battles. There are guys who outfit their ships with BB guns and sail around hammering the crap out of each others' ships. It looks like a good time, though I suspect one needs to beware of collateral damage...as well as the repair costs.

I've seen videos of the RC ship battles. It looks like a lot of fun. I don't think the repair costs are all that bad. IIRC the ships are made from balsa wood and a lot of repairs are just patch jobs. From what I saw, they fight it out in shallow ponds so if your ship is sunk you just wade out and fish it out once the battle is over.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

I have a RC sub that I use in my swimming pool.  It is a lot of fun.  Got it from Wal-Mart for $20.  It is about a foot and a half long.

The "firing" RC tank that I have sucks.  The cannon has always been lame.  It runs fine, just the shooting part stinks.

MIGMaster

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 05, 2012, 11:05:37 PM
He's probably single-handedly keeping some store from closing it's doors!!

Shhhhhhhh!!!! I'm telling my wife I'm sponsoring a kid in some far way country.....

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MIGMaster on August 07, 2012, 07:03:07 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on August 05, 2012, 11:05:37 PM
He's probably single-handedly keeping some store from closing it's doors!!

Shhhhhhhh!!!! I'm telling my wife I'm sponsoring a kid in some far way country.....

HA! I'll have to try and use that one on my wife when it comes to buying computer games and miniatures.   ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MIGMaster

You may want to phrase buying miniatures as "supporting little ones" - it's all in the presentation  ;)

besilarius

Migs, you are absolutely correct.  The package is more important than whats in it.
True Story alert.  Years ago, had a person in the office who kept a donation jar on his desk.  It was labeled, "For the children of Israel."
That country had just come through the Yom Kippur War, so he got some nice change.  People were willing to support children who had lost family during the fighting.
The fellows name was Bob Israel.  (A real bandit)
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MIGMaster on August 07, 2012, 09:06:57 AM
You may want to phrase buying miniatures as "supporting little ones" - it's all in the presentation  ;)

So I gave it a try tonight and lets just say my presentation needs some work.   ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."