My changing gaming and reading habits

Started by Toonces, September 18, 2012, 12:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK, first let me apologize for not getting more screen caps. The SnipIt tool I have is pretty weak.

Start Steam and go to your Library and select the Games menu at the top:

Once you click on Games, the second menu item is Activate A Product On Steam...

That will bring up a window that you should be able to click through. There's an acceptance of terms to do, then you just enter the key and your game will be linked to Steam. That should do it - no more searching for disks.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

i buy less games nowadays. since having kids my gaming time was drastically reduced and still is sometimes a reason for arguments. i chose more and play only one game for months before getting a new one. if there is an itch to try something new it is most likely a small phone game.

i had to find out that work family and intense gaming is too much for me and not relaxing at all.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Toonces

Ok, I'm going to try it today.  If it works, I can't believe how much simpler my life will suddenly become...and how many more games I'll actually play because I don't have to hunt for CD's!

More later...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Arctic Blast

Actually, you can get right to the Activate a Product on Steam section by clicking that button in the bottom left corner of the client that reads '+ Add A Game'. Activate a Product on Steam will be the second option of the 3 option mini list that pops up.

Toonces

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I tried with 3 different games and none of them worked- it says invalid key.  Obviously the key's are valid and since I tried 3 games (ARMA2 CO, Alice Madness Returns, Witcher 2) I'm definitely not seeing how this is supposed to work.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 25, 2012, 08:29:56 PM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I tried with 3 different games and none of them worked- it says invalid key.  Obviously the key's are valid and since I tried 3 games (ARMA2 CO, Alice Madness Returns, Witcher 2) I'm definitely not seeing how this is supposed to work.

Hmmm. First thing I'd do is check to see whether you can get the games via Steam. It could be the devs aren't supported in/by/through Steam.

Found this on Tom's Hardware which supports that conclusion. Sorry - maybe not all can be loaded into it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/113766-13-adding-retail-bought-games-steam

Bison

There is a list of games that are allowed to be activated on Steam.  I cannot remember where exactly, but its there somewhere amongst the right/left clicks you go through.  There are a number of titles included but it is far, far from all inclusive.

You can "add" any game to Steam for the purpose of utilizing the Steam social panel in game.  This is how I have Diablo 3 linked through my Steam account so I can in game chat with friends.

Toonces

Yep, there's a rather short list of games where you can do this.  Oh well, good idea at any rate.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 26, 2012, 12:35:08 AM
Yep, there's a rather short list of games where you can do this.  Oh well, good idea at any rate.

Sorry it didn't work out. I thought there would be far more games compatible in Steam :/